Sign in to follow this  

03 yz125 for 400...

Found a 03 yz125 for 400 bucks. Looks kinda haggard and needs a top end. But ive got extra plastic and a fresh set of 08 suspension and triples I was gonna put on my 250...what do you think? Supposedly it starts and runs but is weak

Found a 03 yz125 for 400 bucks. Looks kinda haggard and needs a top end. But ive got extra plastic and a fresh set of 08 suspension and triples I was gonna put on my 250...what do you think? Supposedly it starts and runs but is weak

idc what the thing needs $400 is a steal!

Unless you are going to use it for parts, or are capable of doing all work (and I mean all work) yourself, I would pass.  If you have to take it to the local shop for the top end, bottom end, swingarm and wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc,.......you will quickly be into it far more than it is worth.

400 plus a grand = 1400 ----> better off buying one in good shape, throwing a top end in it for $120, and call it a day. Just depends on how bad it is, but its always worse once you get inside of it. 

I bought a 99 for $200.  Ran pretty good when I got it, but had a bog.  Next thing you know the stator went out, then the CDI, I decided to put a new top end in it.  Found a broken power valve.  Then the clutch started to slip, replaced the plates, ended up with a whole new basket due to excessive notching.

Also replaced the tires, crank bearing seals, wheel bearings, a broken triple clamp, bars and pad, grips, all the cables, carb vent hoses, fuel line... The list goes on.

Point is that there is always something on these older bikes.  $400 is a good buy, but you need to know that you'll probably be $3-400 more into it immediately, and likely around $1000 in extra parts over the first few months of ownership.  At the same time, that could happen if you buy one that appears to be in great shape.

I'd say go for it as long as you know that it might turn into a $1,500 or so investment.

Yeah its on tulsa/nwa cl. I think im gonna go look at it next week. It looks haggard but it might be a decent deal. Like I said before I have all the parts to update it (sss, re style kit etc.)

This time of year favors the buyer! Sellers will take almost any offer to boot it down the road before winter. Of course this probably only applies to us "Colder" states!!!

yupp, I always pick up atleast one project before winter to redo !

I bought a 99 for $200.  Ran pretty good when I got it, but had a bog.  Next thing you know the stator went out, then the CDI, I decided to put a new top end in it.  Found a broken power valve.  Then the clutch started to slip, replaced the plates, ended up with a whole new basket due to excessive notching.

Also replaced the tires, crank bearing seals, wheel bearings, a broken triple clamp, bars and pad, grips, all the cables, carb vent hoses, fuel line... The list goes on.

Point is that there is always something on these older bikes.  $400 is a good buy, but you need to know that you'll probably be $3-400 more into it immediately, and likely around $1000 in extra parts over the first few months of ownership.  At the same time, that could happen if you buy one that appears to be in great shape.

I'd say go for it as long as you know that it might turn into a $1,500 or so investment.

That's what i was talking about. You have a BRAND new 1999 yz125 for the same price you would have paid for an aluminum framed bike.

That's what i was talking about. You have a BRAND new 1999 yz125 for the same price you would have paid for an aluminum framed bike.

I wouldn't say that.  It still has the original plastic and all of the bare metal needs some serious work.  It isn't pretty, but it runs like a champ.  :ride:   That's part of the fun. I get some strange looks!