Sign in to follow this  

ss or titanium valves

SS is absolutely more reliable.. The upside is that they have a long life span, can run motor many hrs without adjusting Valves, and they are very strong.. Downside is that they rob the motor of horsepower and response.. Not enough that most will ever notice though

Hey, sorry to steal the topic but i have an follow up question to this.

Im riding a 12 kx250f mostly single trail and rly technical stuff, on low rpm. Ocatioally run a few rounds

on a mx track, only a fast C rider.

Motor has run 107 hours now, still on first crank and third piston.

But i thought it was time to do the bottom end now at around 120 hours and thought about SS valves.

I have only ever adjusted the valves twice and it starts easy and pulls hard.

But the main question here is if i do put in SS valves do i "need" to put new copper seats and copper guides in? or

will the SS valves work just fine with the stock seats? Read somewhere u should put harder seats in for SS valves.

Any help would be sweet.

Thanks!

With the hours you getting on the OEM valves why dont you stick with them ?

Hey, sorry to steal the topic but i have an follow up question to this.

Im riding a 12 kx250f mostly single trail and rly technical stuff, on low rpm. Ocatioally run a few rounds

on a mx track, only a fast C rider.

Motor has run 107 hours now, still on first crank and third piston.

But i thought it was time to do the bottom end now at around 120 hours and thought about SS valves.

I have only ever adjusted the valves twice and it starts easy and pulls hard.

But the main question here is if i do put in SS valves do i "need" to put new copper seats and copper guides in? or

will the SS valves work just fine with the stock seats? Read somewhere u should put harder seats in for SS valves.

Any help would be sweet.

Thanks!

please do a search on ThumperTalk past topics.. if you don't find what you looking for, start a new topic..

please do a search on ThumperTalk past topics.. if you don't find what you looking for, start a new topic..

lol, this wasn't an all-out hijack and the question is related enough IMO.  Besides, you answered OPs question.  I completely agree the chances of noticing the difference in power between SS and Ti approach zero.  I run SS myself.  

Another TTer pointed out that sometimes the stock seats chip.  He says it happens frequently, and I have no reason to doubt that.  I haven't seen it yet, but I will look during the next piston change.  It would make sense that if stock seats are prone to chipping, heavier SS valves wouldn't help.

From a practical perspective, nokim, I agree with Shawn.  Sounds like your valves are doing fine.  Change them when they go out of spec quickly.  If you do change the valves, inspect the seats, of course.  If the seats are chipped, replace them.  If they aren't, have them cut.  MXTime.com does this cheap, and they will install SS valves for you if you want.  As for beryllium-copper seats with SS valves, I guess it would enhance cooling, but seem like a waste of money.  For Ti valve applications though, the alloy seats seem to make sense.  Basically, they transfer heat away from Ti valves much more efficiently, thus extending their life.  You can measure the guides to see if you need to replace them, or use the wobble method, which I think is in the manual, or take the head to a machine shop to do it for you.  You don't need to change them if they are in spec.

Does anyone have experience with the del west ti valves? I'm looking to swap out the valves in my KLX to SS valves but the machine shop has said they get longer life from using del west ti valves instead,they are more expensive but may be worth it if they last longer,has anyone used them?

Does anyone have experience with the del west ti valves? I'm looking to swap out the valves in my KLX to SS valves but the machine shop has said they get longer life from using del west ti valves instead,they are more expensive but may be worth it if they last longer,has anyone used them?

if you go with SS , check out Ferrera or kibblewhite.. Ferrera is so awesome