Sign in to follow this  

contemplating 2 stroke?

so im contemplating selling my wr250f cause im not liking the maintenence and i know its gona cost me a fair bit in the future sooo im considering a yz125. im considering this cause i dont wana pay big $ for valves camchains ect... now im 90% riding flat out in a paddock. the rest is trails ..

what ive gathered from my friend who used to have a yz is that they are terrible for trails and for just muckin g around .

of coarse its not gona be as good as a wr on trails but i would like to hear from 2 smoke trail riders to see there opinion . cheers

Your friends are dumb, you need new ones....

YZs are excellent for trials and offroad. In fact they are excellent for everything....

maintenance wise what would i have to do more on... i ride every day for about 45 mins, weekends more ... would i really have to put a new piston and rings in every 40 hours?

maintenance wise what would i have to do more on... i ride every day for about 45 mins, weekends more ... would i really have to put a new piston and rings in every 40 hours?

Have you got an hour meter on the WR?

And yes, you probably would.

Have you got an hour meter on the WR?

And yes, you probably would.

no hour meter on the wr but my maths implys ive done around 180 hard hours valves all in spec

well ide prolly keep the wr then cause ide be doing a top end in a 2 stroke every 6 weeks bit extreme for me i think

Edited by jackiefresh69

YZ's are all around great bikes, in fact pretty much the best all around 125 out of the box imo. They ride track and trail very well, and imo you only need a top end once a year or so unless you are racing pretty hardcore. I'd pick up an hour meter and at 40-50 hrs give it a look, might be ok to just put on new rings at that point? They great thing is you can switch out a top end on a 2 stroke in a few hours. You won't believe the difference in weight and handling as compared to your WR.

YZ's are all around great bikes, in fact pretty much the best all around 125 out of the box imo. They ride track and trail very well, and imo you only need a top end once a year or so unless you are racing pretty hardcore. I'd pick up an hour meter and at 40-50 hrs give it a look, might be ok to just put on new rings at that point? They great thing is you can switch out a top end on a 2 stroke in a few hours. You won't believe the difference in weight and handling as compared to your WR.

This guy has it right. Are you certain the engine does not stop for a whole 45 min every day? thats why I asked about the hour meter on the WR. If not, it might surprise you how few hours riding you do compared how long you are out there.

In any case, two stroke top ends aren't hard to do, and it may save you money compared to grenading the the WR (which it shouldn't, but everything wears, and it sounds like you ride a lot)

X2 on just the new rings on a top end, everything may measure up ok for all you know.

• Like 1

This guy has it right. Are you certain the engine does not stop for a whole 45 min every day? thats why I asked about the hour meter on the WR. If not, it might surprise you how few hours riding you do compared how long you are out there.

In any case, two stroke top ends aren't hard to do, and it may save you money compared to grenading the the WR (which it shouldn't, but everything wears, and it sounds like you ride a lot)

X2 on just the new rings on a top end, everything may measure up ok for all you know.

Yep, it seems like everytime I ride it takes about two actual hours to ride one hour...stop, start stop, start, etc...

yeah true never thought of that ... it deffs would stop a couple of times thanks for pointing that out... alright dad dosnt seem to like the smoke idea but im gona keep running it into him over and over till he gives in lol.

• Like 1