Keep the Van or Buy Truck?

Currently, I drive a VW Golf GTI and my MX hauler/second vehicle is a 1997 Econoline Van. I live in Connecticut and the winters here can be troublesome. 

My Golf is my first car, always had pickup trucks. I had new all seasons on the front last winter. Car did OK but was a bit nerve-racking at times, particularly going around snowy corners even at slow speeds. Back end liked to kick out. Granted, the rear Nankang performance tires probably weren't helping.

The van I would not even attempt driving in the snow. It's the extended model, huge, and the tires on it are not the greatest either. 

I love the van because it keeps all my motocross stuff concealed, I can fit LOTS of stuff in it (extended model), it's convenient. It is nice stopping at random places along the way to a far distance track as well, stopping somewhere, and not having to worry about your stuff getting stolen which is great about the van. Those moments when I'm too lazy to unload anything is also freaking awesome! No worries, everything is locked and concealed. Also, I can store my bikes in there for the winter, clearing up garage space to park the car. 

This winter has me worried. I'm trying to decide whether to:

A) Keep what I have but install all new 4 Winter/Snow Tires (which I'm assuming would set me back atleast $450).... or, install a new set of rear all seasons to match my front, getting rid of those Nankangs.

B: Sell my van, buy a 4x4 Pickup for winter and motocross, parking the car on the snowy days.

My van has proven to be a very reliable vehicle. Selling it to me would be a shame. I would get a low amount for it since it isn't worth much, and then, I would have to shop for a used 4x4 Pickup which can be quite a pain. Most of them are quite beat under the $6000 range (which is all I can afford).

Like the van, if I were to do this, the truck would not be an everyday vehicle. It would be for motocross and in addition, winter driving. I will not settle for a mini truck, it would have to be a 1/2 ton full size, preferably chevy/gmc.

Negatives with this would be: limited garage space without the bikes in the van. Thieves in the area would see what I have in my truck going to/from local track (bikes have been getting stolen left and right, thieves have even followed fellow riders I know, wait for them to leave or sleep, break into garage, steal bikes). Also, no "I don't feel like unloading tonight I'm just going to hit the sack" kind of moments, bike(s) and equipment need to be unloaded everytime. 

Thoughts?

Edited by stavendirtbike

I think you answered your own question. Keep the van, makes more sense to me.

Sell me the van cheap.

Keep the van.

Buy a cheap set of rims from a scrap yard with the same bolt pattern and invest in a set of 4 proper winter tires... they do make a difference.

Place a bag of sand ( 60-70lbs ) just forward of each rear wheel hump for better traction.

Edited by paul246

buy a 2 door long bed pick up truck.

I  agree with keeping the van. It is serving its purpose great and is a plus that you can keep everything locked. Get a good set of tires, add the sand and deal with it on bad days. In the long run that is your ideal machine

cool... but glad I'm not the one putting gas in it.

That's why I have a 7.3 van, 18 - 20 mpg  :ride:

Keep the van.

Buy a cheap set of rims from a scrap yard with the same bolt pattern and invest in a set of 4 proper winter tires... they do make a difference.

Place a bag of sand ( 60-70lbs ) just forward of each rear wheel hump for better traction.

That would be my recommendation as well. Your car is more than capable in the snow and ice with proper tires installed, unless you want to go offroad of course. I would add that running winter tires limits the annual use of your all season / summer tires, so long term cost is the same (except for the price of the cheap rims).

Im a truck guy but vans are cool. If your worried about things getting stolen with a truck you could always buy a truck with a shell over the bed. If you were to get a truck go with a Silverado.