My bonehead moment of the week

Ok I finally get my engine back together yesterday after putting a new center case gaske in and proceed to do a pressure test. Well it doesnt hold any air and is coming out the clutch cover oil hole. I am pissed at this point because I usually only get about 30 minute intervals to work on this thing and thought I was finally done.

So today I tear the clutch side covers off and go toadd air to find the leak and notice I have left the primary drive gear off the engine lmfao at this point I was somewhat relieved and hoped I didnt mess the seal up. So after getting the gear on and torquing her down I add some air.

Well she holds air. It only lost a little less then 1/2 psi in 8 minutes. I normally do 6 minutes but lost track of time helping my son with some homework. Anyway I found this pretty hilarious and is exactly why I try not to rush things but another life lesson I guess.

• Like 2

Yeah I guess it keeps me humble. My problem is I am so anal I usually dont rush things and always overthink stuff. I bought a new lock washer for the clutch hub bolt because I dont want to reuse it even though its only been used twice.

You lucked out, one time I forgot a washer in my transmission and didn't think to check the shifting till the engine was in the bike ..... That was a bad day

I think we all make mistakes but like you say it keeps us humble glad you got it straightened out

Four years ago I had the little helpers in the garage with me asking a zillion questions. I was replacing the clutch plates on my sons 00 xr200, which I had just rebuilt the top end. I forgot torque the center bolt that holds the basket onto the shaft when I was reassembling. The bike was fine for the first two hours while my sone was riding it. Then we switched bikes and I started pushing the bike for all it had. After about 2 miles of fast single track while I was in 3 rd gear, hard on the gas, the rear wheel locked up. When I came to a stop I looked down at the side of the motor. The counter shaft bearing next to the sprocket was sticking out of the cases!!!! Of course the bike would not shift. So I took the chain off and puller it back to my truck. The damages were:

Counter sprocket main shaft broke into two pieces. It became longer once it broke in the middle and cause all kinds of damage.

Broke left case

Damaged right case

Most of the tranny gears suffered chipped teeth

Bent shift forks and shafts.

Etc.......

I fixed it all with one timely ebay purchase of a 98 xr 200 lower end for $75.

I took both apart and reassembled using the best parts.

Interruptions can be costly. Help from the kids is always welcome. But the older they get the more my focus is on teaching them and not wrenching. From that day forward, I double check our work if they are helping me.

Edited by Kirkes