Sign in to follow this  

Lighting option

I went with a H4 xenon gas/plasma bulb that is rated @ 8500K and is a direct replacement for the stock halogen, no need for any extra wires or a ballast, and it is inexpensive too. The brand is GP Thunder if anyone here is interested, it can be found on evilBay. The first 2 pics were taken at night the other 2 taken in the morning. What is everyone else here using?

1383059536297.jpg

1383059550990.jpg

1383059578863.jpg

1383059588600.jpg

Edited by creefr
  • Like 5

They are a tad bit blue but I like em, just hope I don't blind anyone.

• Like 1

The stock H4 9003 are 60W/55W, but you can get them in a non-steet legal 100W/90W in different temperature ranges, but I would get a ceramic socket to avoid melting the stock plastic one.  I am not sure how the plastic headlight cover would hold up though.  

I personally don't do that much bike riding after dark anymore, there are too many other things worth doing once the sun goes down.   :cheers:

Hope you enjoy your new light.  Someone else on here added some driving lights recently too.   I would look for the link, but I have to go....

• Like 1

Looks cool, I have looked at the LED's on Ebay, no heat at all, have a number of them in my watch list, definitely an upgrade coming, Just think LED's are the way to go!

• Like 2

I am looking at auxillary lighting, because I like to be seen..... even though I won't do much night riding on the street, and I haven't ridden any trails at night because I always end up crashing when I ride off road at night....

• Like 1

Do they make an LED replacement for H4 bulbs???  I just cant imagine how well that would work, LEDs need such different optics/reflectors than normal halogen bulbs.  Most LED headlights you see on vehicles use projector optics, nothing at all like the normal reflector type halogen fixtures.

I really would love to see a GOOD drop in LED replacement for H4 socket lamps, because currently all 3 of my vehicles (truck and 2 bikes) use H4 lamps.  But I just dont see how a simple drop in would ever work in a fixture designed around a halogen lamp.

I put a Sylvania SilverStar in my 250L and I also have them in my Tacoma and GSX-R.  Not really any big change but takes some of the "yellow" out of the light.

I dont think Id put a 100w bulb in the stock light housing, I think it would be to much heat for the little plastic housing.  Also it would most likely be to much draw for the stock light harness.  Nearly doubling the amount of current flow on wires that are already hardly big enough to handle the current of the stock bulb as it is.

Id love to see an aftermarket complete headlight replacement for this bike that uses LED's, that would just be sweet.  BajaDesigns makes LED headlight kits but there mostly just generic, for adding lights to bikes that dont come with a headlight.

I am running the Sylvania UltraStars in my wife's van.  It made a big difference, but I usually have to replace them every couple of years.  I have been running some modified Sylvania HIR John Deere tractor bulbs in my pickup for about the last 10 years.  Still going strong.   I personally would only use LED lighting for "auxillary" and not main lighting, but that is just me.  I may change my mind over time......

The 250L still has the OEM bulb, but I don't ride much at night.  I will probably replace with a Sylvania UltraStar when I replace it since the van uses the same bulb....

• Like 1

Do they make an LED replacement for H4 bulbs???  I just cant imagine how well that would work, LEDs need such different optics/reflectors than normal halogen bulbs.  Most LED headlights you see on vehicles use projector optics, nothing at all like the normal reflector type halogen fixtures.

I really would love to see a GOOD drop in LED replacement for H4 socket lamps, because currently all 3 of my vehicles (truck and 2 bikes) use H4 lamps.  But I just dont see how a simple drop in would ever work in a fixture designed around a halogen lamp.

I put a Sylvania SilverStar in my 250L and I also have them in my Tacoma and GSX-R.  Not really any big change but takes some of the "yellow" out of the light.

I dont think Id put a 100w bulb in the stock light housing, I think it would be to much heat for the little plastic housing.  Also it would most likely be to much draw for the stock light harness.  Nearly doubling the amount of current flow on wires that are already hardly big enough to handle the current of the stock bulb as it is.

Id love to see an aftermarket complete headlight replacement for this bike that uses LED's, that would just be sweet.  BajaDesigns makes LED headlight kits but there mostly just generic, for adding lights to bikes that dont come with a headlight.

These are what i have found and they seem pretty cool, down on my priority list but definitely going to order one set, just not sure who

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200952630007?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290960575641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310723963967?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Like 1

They look cool, Id be curious to see them put in a fixture designed around a normal H4 halogen bulb and see the light output difference, what kind of distance and pattern it puts down on the ground, etc.  I really wouldnt expect much from them thou, but it would be awesome if I was wrong!

Motorcycle HID Headlight Kit H4-2 10000K Hi-Halogen Lo-Xenon + Slim Ballast 35W evilBay.

I started a thread on a similar topic being helmet lighting and was pointed to some great lighting solutions one being Trail Tech http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/led/led-motorcylce/led-offroad which I ended up getting. There are many solutions for this issue ranging from mild to wild Baja lighting. IMO a perfect solution would be replacing your existing light with a high power LED number plate light and adding a set of handle bar top mount singles. Then to add a helmet light that looks where you do, you'd have the ultimate night riding solution.

• Like 3

To finish off I added the drc edge 2 with 12 0 Clock Labs integrated tail lights. I thinks I likey..... a lot.

1383186449842.jpg

1383186464402.jpg

1383186492927.jpg

1383186508030.jpg

• Like 1

To finish off I added the drc edge 2 with 12 0 Clock Labs integrated tail lights. I thinks I likey..... a lot.

Looking good Bud ...  :thumbsup:

post-375810-13831864801845.jpg

this is what i am running now...  i like them..  (it is the stock bulb in the package, the new lamp is already in the bike)

first light picture is stock, second one is the philips bulb...  it runs at 60 watts low and 67 watts high...  i am thinking of getting a lighting relay to get the power away from running through the light switch and controls...  a local guy makes a nice relay harness that i seen on his bike... $60 for the harness and does double of what my light swap does for illumination...

IMG_20131209_122239_992.jpg

IMG_20131126_101302_329.jpg

Screenshot_2013-12-08-02-41-47.png

i will be getting 2-10w lights from cyclops (with their wireharness, dimmer, and multiposition switch and 10/20 light combo)..  small price to pay for me to be able to see at night...  there is no avoiding it for me, so i am looking for the best... 

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 2

this is the relay kit i was speaking of... he's a local guy by me and i trust his word... i've seen the results...  surely worth it in my eyes..

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
Motorcycle Headlight Relay Harness Kit for Singe H4 bulb - Inner Shell Mount

Seller information
lexer2012 (441 )

Item location:
Brick, New Jersey, United States

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 1

55watt Bi-xenon Hid kit installed. Finding room to fit the slim ballast was a pain.

1396567407109.jpg

1396567428377.jpg

• Like 2

I am looking at these, but it is way down on my mod list for the time being.

I'm planning on getting a pair of these within the next month. Not sure if I'm going to go with the Riged brand, or go somewhere else like Baja lighting or someone else. Ironically what I want a lot is a nice switch like they have in that video, need to find something like that.

Edited by RobertLindert