Did the loctite on the primary and counterbalancer

As it turned out, same as many have reported, the counterbalancer nut was still tight, but very easy to remove, probably was not too far off from coming loose. Thanks so much TT !!

The primary nut was another matter, extremely hard to remove. Working alone, i secured the wrench on the flywheel on a wooden block corrected for tilt and applied all my weight on the primary nut using an extension for the wrench, while trying to keep the bike from lifting off the ground...horrible. But in one of those magic moments that make it all worth it, it finally moved.

I guess no damage visible, so loctite and put everything back. The tricky part was using my RH torque meter to torque up the primary nut, had to do some arithmetic.

The gasket was not paper, some kind of fiber, no reason not to reuse.

The question that must be on all minds...why doesn't Suzuki loctite these things, after so much user feedback ?

For those who think these fixes are unnecessary, here's a 08 bike up for parts here, says parts are like new.

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-512619685-pecas-drz-400-suzuki-cabecote-caixa-de-marcha-estator-etc-_JM

And here are the two shafts :

vn8v.jpg

t5mw.jpg

I was pleased to see how clean and new this engine looks, quite different from the brownish grainy slime I found when I opened my old XT 600 for clutch work.

Edited by michaelks

The gasket was not paper, some kind of fiber, no reason not to reuse.

And still, it is not reusable.

Most times it comes off in pieces.. even if yours was removed in a single piece with no tears,, the silicone adhesive that is embedded in the gasket under and around the water passage,, is not really reusable. 

And still, it is not reusable.

Most times it comes off in pieces.. even if yours was removed in a single piece with no tears,, the silicone adhesive that is embedded in the gasket under and around the water passage,, is not really reusable. 

The gasket isn't available here, the one I ordered at the Suzuki dealership is coming from Japan and takes two months to arrive.

Thing is, the gasket didn't come off at all, the cover came off clean and the gasket stayed in place all shiny and new. I peeled off the silicone and applied a new layer, on the cover so it would be more precise, with a small watercolor paintbrush. After the cover was back on, I peered into the oil filter housing and there was a very tiny amount of red squeezed out, so I suppose the seal is tight.

g91u.jpg

But, only after I put everything back together, new oil and coolant, did i understand that i should have removed the balancer gear to check for damage, but it slid off so easily i panicked and pushed it back into place. I hope that means there was little or no damage to the gear/shaft. Anyway, i started the engine and it felt different, although I'll only know for sure if the knocking went away after i ride it.

Still, it seems the 36 ft.lb prescribed torque is too small to prevent the gear from moving and knocking on the pin, destroying everything in the process, i would feel better if it had been the same torque as the primary gear.

What year and how many miles on your bike?

It's a 07 S, the PO lives in the US and only rode it when he was here, so it's really almost new, has only around 2000 km on the odo.

• Like 1

The gasket isn't available here, the one I ordered at the Suzuki dealership is coming from Japan and takes two months to arrive.

Thing is, the gasket didn't come off at all, the cover came off clean and the gasket stayed in place all shiny and new. I peeled off the silicone and applied a new layer, on the cover so it would be more precise, with a small watercolor paintbrush. After the cover was back on, I peered into the oil filter housing and there was a very tiny amount of red squeezed out, so I suppose the seal is tight.

You did well... you have one of those reasons for reusing a gasket when new is a better plan.. lack of availability. When your stuck, you do what you have to.

The gasket coming off in a single piece was pure luck.... and your resealing that critical section very well done.

The observation made that some "squeezed out" is exactly why it's not recommended to use RTV to make gaskets.... unless needed or designed for it.

The thin line of  "squeezed out"  RTV will eventually separate from the sharp edge of the cases and end up in the motor.

Possible blocking oil passages, or clogging up the in case oil screen.

I was aware of this problem, that's why I used a very thin layer. I believe and hope those very small and flexible slivers will be flushed out by the oil and end up in the filter. To one who was contemplating running a bike with a spacer lost in the engine a week ago, that's peanuts. And here's the gasket as I saw it when the cover was removed :

jicy.jpg

And when I thought everything was OK, my washmachine stopped working...when it rains it pours.

Your waiting 2 monthsfor a gasket?!?! Jesus buy one off ebay? I brought the anthena one whats £10 cheaper than oem and its fine?

Great idea// He is in Brazil .. you do a lot of DRZ gasket buying in Brazil? Sounds like you have a great suggestion.. well except,, you don't live in Brazil, so may not actually know anything about buying a DRZ gasket there  :devil:

Sm does have a point,,,, if you can find an ebay retailer that will sell and ship to you, and your postal services, governmental customs services can deal with the package effectively without huge costs or delays .. you might get a replacement gasket cheaper.. Worth looking into for sure  ? 

Great idea// He is in Brazil .. you do a lot of DRZ gasket buying in Brazil? Sounds like you have a great suggestion.. well except,, you don't live in Brazil, so may not actually know anything about buying a DRZ gasket there :devil:

Sm does have a point,,,, if you can find an ebay retailer that will sell and ship to you, and your postal services, governmental customs services can deal with the package effectively without huge costs or delays .. you might get a replacement gasket cheaper.. Worth looking into for sure ?

ah so they do not have ebay and auction sites :S okay his country must be very poor i would say

ah so they do not have ebay and auction sites :S okay his country must be very poor i would say

You implied the OP was foolish for waiting on a gasket. You suggested he go to ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/aboutebay/thecompany/companyoverview.html

Brazil does not have an ebay presence.

I don't live in Brazil, so I don't know how easy it is to find a seller on an auction site to sell to him, nor do i know the governmental red tape needed to get a package in to his country.. as I don't live there.

The Point is/// calling him out as you did for  not doing something you have NO clue about doing.. is well, not helpful  ?

That you SUGGESTED he look at options other then OEM dealership for a gasket was a great idea  ? 

And NOW.. Back to the thread...

OP, consider replacing that gasket when you get a new one.. when you do, take a look at the oil pump screen in the frame and case.. for any bits of loose RTV.

You cant remove the case screen, but you can remove the oil pump and back flush the screen somewhat. 

odds are it will be fine.... You did well with what you had to work with.

Well i assume every country with the internet has ebay? He uses this site so why not? Does brazil not let the public order items from countries? I assume its to do with all the drugs they have haha ? but yeah check out ebay i dont think it should cost anything to import i can get you the link? The seller says worldwide so i assume that means brazil also unless theres a brazil on mars ☺️

OP, consider replacing that gasket when you get a new one.. when you do, take a look at the oil pump screen in the frame and case.. for any bits of loose RTV.

You cant remove the case screen, but you can remove the oil pump and back flush the screen somewhat. 

odds are it will be fine.... You did well with what you had to work with.

Thanks Marquez, in fact I was able to scrape off the RTV that could be seen from inside the oil filter housing, a very tiny amount really. What I don't see is the purpose of that sealed-off chamber. I can see that a channel extends from the oil pump into the filter (red arrow) and then into the chamber, as well as another that leads straight into that chamber (blue arrow). Strange.

oq6o.jpg

Edited by michaelks