Sign in to follow this  

Disposing of filter cleaning solvents

Most of us use solvents to clean our air filters (gas, kerosene, mineral spirits, paint thinner).  No auto parts stores I've been to will take this stuff, they just take old motor oil or hydraulic fluids. 

How do you guys get rid of it the "right way?"  I've always had to find a convenient place to get rid of it.

The last couple of times I used kerosene, I kind of snuck it in with my drain oil.  I didn't think they would notice a quart of kero in a 5 gal. can of drain oil.  I don't know if you'd call that the "right" way or not.  There must be a better way to get rid of it without paying, though. 

• Like 1

The last couple of times I used kerosene, I kind of snuck it in with my drain oil.  I didn't think they would notice a quart of kero in a 5 gal. can of drain oil.  I don't know if you'd call that the "right" way or not.  There must be a better way to get rid of it without paying, though. 

I tried this once, but the kerosene wasn't diluted enough in the oil and they noticed, wouldn't take it.  Another time they didn't notice til they were pouring it into the can, and they got really pissed about what was in the oil.  I won't do that again because they said if it's gasoline, they have to call someone else and pay huge fees to get rid of it. 

Who knows, I'll figure it out eventually.

I've been told brake fluid in the oil is a bigger sin.  Maybe anti-freeze too.  I have a county recycling/disposal location near me and I think I'll check with them.  A lot of places around me where you can dump drain oil, you're on your own.  There's nobody looking over your shoulder.

• Like 1

How "bad" is it?

I'll run mine through coffee filters and can usually salvage a good amount of it.  Catches the grit and gunky stuff, while passing the solvent through. 

Or just wet down the paper towels in your garage trash can before the garbage man comes.

• Like 1

I have like a 2 gallon paint bucket with lid that I filled with mineral spirits to clean my filters.  I ran the dirty solvent through a t-shirt into another bucket and salvaged a lot of clean solvent.  I let the sludge dry out, then just threw it out with the trash.

• Like 1

Well if anybody would use Zep Big Orange-E like I suggest you can rinse it down the drain.

Lol. You can't dump this in a place near the woods?

Dump it in your waste oil can and take it where you take your waste oil.

Sure they would prefer pure oil because they have to filter, separate and dispose of the waste but they make money on the free oil they get. Give it to them to dispose of properly. To those that dump it on the ground beware. If you get caught you could wind up paying to have all the dirt dug up and treated. I have a freind with prime real estate that he can't sell because the EPA wants him to dig up 5' of the whole property to be treated as hazardis waste. That will cost more than he can sell it for. His dad worked on trucks there and now it's wasteland according to the government.

Probably not the good way and may not be possible for you to do, but if you're having a fire it's simple to start it with a bit of kerosene!

• Like 1

How "bad" is it?

I'll run mine through coffee filters and can usually salvage a good amount of it.  Catches the grit and gunky stuff, while passing the solvent through. 

Or just wet down the paper towels in your garage trash can before the garbage man comes.

I think I'll save a big jug of paint thinner and just pour it into that via funnel.. top it off and throw out with regular trash.  Good enough for me.  WOW the EPA would $h!t a brick reading this thread.

WOW the EPA would $h!t a brick reading this thread.

since most replies are jokes, or "suggestions" I think we're safe...for now. Lol

Every city should have a chemical waste disposal facility, I take all my oil and filter gas there.

Every city should have a chemical waste disposal facility, I take all my oil and filter gas there.

I hope so if guys want to take the effort instead of dumping it in the garden....I checked with my county disposal web site and it says they take

"automotive fluids and fuels" so I'll try that especially since it's only a couple of miles from me. BTW-It's free.  I agree that filtering it and re-using is an option too.

Edited by motoxvet

Use the no toil stuff and dump it down the drain.

X2 on that, I clean mine in the kitchen sink using the no-toil stuff and the wifey doesn't even complain or notice :-)