Sign in to follow this  

Throttle cables....?

Had to take the carb out and clean it (replaced all jets) but also had to remove the throttle cables from the carb, now I can't get the throttle (on handlebar) to spring back like it did.

Which one should be tighter the pull cable or the return cable? I need the handle to spring back like it did before so the bike doesn't race.

Is there a trick to this? Please help, this is my last obstacle before I can ride it!

Thanks!!

check to make sure that there is nothing gunking the spring up on the carb.  and make sure you have the cables on the right way( i believe the curved one goes on the lower part) if you have the FCR and if you have the regular stock carb i believe the curved cable goes on the rear

Edited by mako13

check to make sure that there is nothing gunking the spring up on the carb.  and make sure you have the cables on the right way( i believe the curved one goes on the lower part)

Nothing gunking the spring, pretty sure they are on the right way........just read a post about just using one cable, can I do that? Just use the "pull" cable?

Sorry I cant help with that question.  I don't know what the pro's and con's are of going to one cable, If you do a search I know you could find some info on that.  I have read a few posts about going to one cable system, just don't know that much about it to comment.

If it worked before you installed it wrong....take it off and re install noob

???? I didn't install it wrong! The nuts moved so the adjustment is off, just asking if anybody knows how to adjust them the proper way so I get the spring in the hand throttle back OR can I remove one cable and not worry about it??

I literally just took my carb off today and I also accidentally moved the nuts on the cables. I just loosened one and tightened the other for a little while until I got it back to normal. Also when I started it the pull cable that opens the throttle was a little tight and made it idle high. Just mess with it a little bit. It's kinda frustrating...

I messed with it a bunch already, just can't seem to get them right, maybe a picture of yours??......not sure what to do :(  I saw a post that said tighten the handlebar adjustment all the way, make the other 2 on the carb tight then start to loosen the handlebar adjustment till all is good. anybody do this? I just need to get this right and all will be good. Ugghhhh!!! I am so frustrated!

If I can't get it adjusted right I may just take off the return cable....I know some of you have done this and some of you disagree with doing this but I can't find any info to tell me how to get the 2 cables adjusted correctly!

Still hoping somebody will chime in with info or video or something on how to do this.

Thanks!!!

Edited by spower

I'm having the same problem with the fcr I just installed was perfect with the mikuni now it's all sticky and whatnot I've adjusted everything and moved the cables around and I just can't seem to get it to snap back like it did...so I just said screw it because I want to ride!

If I can't get it adjusted right I may just take off the return cable....I know some of you have done this and some of you disagree with doing this but I can't find any info to tell me how to get the 2 cables adjusted correctly!

Still hoping somebody will chime in with info or video or something on how to do this.

Thanks!!!

Loosen both the cables until the slide on the carb is fully closed. Then play with the cables until you find the cable doing the pulling.This cable should be tightened until you have proper play in the throttle tube. (some guys like a little slack, while others want throttle response the instant the throttle is touched). 

No begin taking the slack out of the return cable you don't want slop in it, but if you get it too tight the whole system will bind up (so don't over tighten it)

If this doesn't work then you have something else going on such as dirt somewhere in the system binding it up.

The FRC should be the same process, if you take the plastic side cover off the right side of the FCR you can see what is going on with the cables and it might make things easier.    

play with the cables until you find the cable doing the pulling.This cable should be tightened until you have proper play in the throttle tube.

Not sure I understand the first sentence above, Do I tighten the "pull" cable until it actually starts to pull? Thanks!

Not sure I understand the first sentence above, Do I tighten the "pull" cable until it actually starts to pull? Thanks!

Tighten the "pull" cable until all the slop is out of it. then take up the tension left in the return cable. having the tension set properly on the "pull" cable first will make it easier in the end.

Tighten the "pull" cable until all the slop is out of it. then take up the tension left in the return cable. having the tension set properly on the "pull" cable first will make it easier in the end.

Ok just till slop is out of it and not actually starting to pull the wheel right?

Ok just till slop is out of it and not actually starting to pull the wheel right?

Correct, if the wheel on the carb or the throttle tube starts to get pulled around you wont be able to get the system to work right.

Well I played with the cable adjustment until I got it almost as good as new, not the same but close. Just took it for a spin.....ran really good but it stalled a few times when I came to a stop, turned the idle up a little bit, think it is ok. Rode about 25 miles, most of it at 65mph, felt good!

Thanks for your help guys!! :thumbsup: