Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak 99 CR250R

I have a 99 Cr250R that drips a little oil from the flywheel cover after a ride.  I am aware that it is the crankshaft seal behind the flywheel.  Can I replace this seal without splitting the case?  If so what tools work to remove and replace the seal while the crankshaft is still in place?

Thanks,

Dan

I have a 99 Cr250R that drips a little oil from the flywheel cover after a ride.  I am aware that it is the crankshaft seal behind the flywheel.  Can I replace this seal without splitting the case?  If so what tools work to remove and replace the seal while the crankshaft is still in place?

Thanks,

Dan

Yep, you can. Many say to use a small drill bit and drill very shallow into the seal,into the metal under the rubber coating and then thread in a drywall or sheet metal screw into the hole you just drilled. Then pull on the screw with pliers. You might be able to just twist the metal screw into it with slight pressure if its a self tapping screw, just do not go too deep either way. There should be an empty space behind the seal before you get to the case. You should feel the space real quickly after going through the metal body of the seal.