96 wr250z tank seat swap need some help

Well I have a 96 wr250zh and the thing rips it will keep up with any bike on the track and I could ride it better if I could make my tank and seat more "ergonomic" haha and people would quit looking at me like what the hell is that at the starting line. I've seen people have done it but I can't find the people who did it online anymore and was wondering if anyone know what tank/seat/rear sub-frame combo I would need to do this.

Thanks for any help I may receive this is going to be my winter project

colorado and mx 025.JPG

YZ125 or YZ250 tank and seat from 1993, 1994, 1995 or 1996 is all you need.

1993-1995 tank is white in color. If you're dead-set on keeping your blue YZ, you'll want 1996 only or die the tank to Yamaha blue. There are other threads about this process which can be done at home.

You could easily change the seat cover on any of these seats (from purple 1993-1995) to replicate 1996 Blue. Once you have the new parts, they'll take all of ten minutes to install. No mods required. Just switch over your WR hardware to the YZ seat and tank.

Less fuel range but a big improvement in your ability to get fwd. This shoud make you a little faster, especially in tight offroad terrain and in the pits.  

Edited by Swappa

Thanks for the info will my radiator shrouds still work and how about my side plates with this seat tank combo?

Oh, damn ... edit:

1996 YZ and WRs were different body work and not interchangeable. 1996 YZ250 tank and seat won't work. Sorry about that. You will need 1993-1995 YZ125 or YZ250 and these will be white tank/purple seat combo.

The YZ tank is narrower at your legs, and so there is a small white plastic insert in the WR side panels which will need to be removed to make the side panels sit flush against the frame. Piece of cake. This part was pretty easy to loose and so may not even be on your WR any more.

Your 1996 WR shrouds and side panels will fit with 1993-1995 YZ seat and tank once you remove this little spacer.  

1996 YZ/WR color combo are AWESOME ... but that's just me. You'll look back at bikes from when you were 16 and think they were awesome too :).

Alright thanks it might be awhile but I'll definitely post before and after pics. Haha I think it's awesome I always hear people regret getting rid of their first bike so I'm scared to sell it to get another bike.

Alright thanks it might be awhile but I'll definitely post before and after pics. Haha I think it's awesome I always hear people regret getting rid of their first bike so I'm scared to sell it to get another bike.

That's why you just keep the wr250 and buy another bike....I had a 1995 wr and it still rates as one of my favorite bikes ever! Wish I still had it!

Edge

Edited by edge450

Haha I would if I had the money but I'm on a budget so this is my best option on my pro con list

That's why you just keep the wr250 and buy another bike....I had a 1995 wr and it still rates as one of my favorite bikes ever! Wish I still had it!

Edge

I've already had 3 people try and buy my '97 wr250 this year "because I had one new, and liked it more than any of my newer bikes". I think this reason alone is enough to hang on tight :ride:

Edited by 97wr250

How hard do you think it would be to put the 96 wr250z engine in a 01 yz250f frame? I saw one cheap that's blown up so I thought I'd ask.