Sign in to follow this  

110/90 or 120/80 rear for 12 CRF 450

What size rear tire is better for the handling of the 2012 CRF 450? I have used 110/90 which were good and I have had 120/80 which were really bad. Is this the general trend with these sizes or are there good 120/80 tires for this bike.

You're good and my good are probably not the same.

The numbers you quote do nothing to determine how wide, tall, soft, staggered, or how many plies the tires are.

It's just the carcass size.

A Dunlop MX51 120/90-18 is softer,  smaller and narrower than a Maxxis Desert IT 120/90-18.

A Kenda Parker DT  of the same size has a thicker (6 ply) carcass than the above tires, so it sucks in hard rocky terrain, but will climb any sand hill anywhere.

The narrower the tire, the easier it will turn with our without rear wheel power.

The narrower the tire, the worse it will accelerate and brake on loose terrain.

Tell us where you ride, how you ride, and we can  recommend a tire for you.

We run the 120/80 for intermediate and hard terrain with either the MX51 or the Bridgestone 403 for intermediate and run the MX71 for hard.  For sand and mud we run the 110/90 MX11 or MX31 depending on the sand or mud.

If it is a concrete start I would lean to a 120/80 MX 31 in the mud or sand.

You're good and my good are probably not the same.

The numbers you quote do nothing to determine how wide, tall, soft, staggered, or how many plies the tires are.

It's just the carcass size.

A Dunlop MX51 120/90-18 is softer,  smaller and narrower than a Maxxis Desert IT 120/90-18.

A Kenda Parker DT  of the same size has a thicker (6 ply) carcass than the above tires, so it sucks in hard rocky terrain, but will climb any sand hill anywhere.

The narrower the tire, the easier it will turn with our without rear wheel power.

The narrower the tire, the worse it will accelerate and brake on loose terrain.

Tell us where you ride, how you ride, and we can  recommend a tire for you.

I mostly ride offroad/enduro/sprint races. I am going to do some motocross once in a while. My races generally are sandy tracks or hard dirt which has a thin sandy layer on top. I have used Bridgestone M 401/402 combo in the 110/90/19 sizes and they were good. After that I had the M 401 on the front and a Michelin XC 12 120/80/19 rear which was the worst tire I have ever used. The Michelin was good in thick sand but sucked everywhere else. I now have Michelin AC 10 front and MH 3 rear which is an excellent tire with awesome grip. The MH 3 is not the best tire for sand and it struggled a bit at my last race. My terrain varies so I always go for a intermediate tire. Next time I will try the MS 3 rear. Clearly I do not understand bike tire sizes as I thought a 120/80 should always be wider than a 110/90. My Michelin XC 12 was very narrow and that is why I think it sucked.