TDC with cams out

Quick valve check question - I was at TDC, measured the valves and found they were all a little tight (about .02 to .04 all around). I proceeded to take the ACCT out, and then take the cam covers off. I used a zip tie to hold the chain up.

I am about to put everything back together now, and noticed that the flywheel moved since I took the cams out and is no longer at TDC. On my other bikes (like KTM 990) I usually have a pin that locks the engine at TDC, but wasn't aware of that option here.

My question: with the cams out, is it hard to spin the engine back to TDC by having someone hold the chain taut so that it doesn't get caught up? I had used a white marker to show which chain pin was on which cam tooth, can I just reassemble them that way, then spin the engine back to TDC and look at the cam marks to make sure? My only concern would be if the chain jumped the lower gear while hanging there on the zip line, which could make my white marks pointless, and could jam a valve into the piston?

That was my initial thinking as well, just wondering if there is any trick to doing that with the cams out, or is just holding the chain relatively tight while turning it is fine.

Yes, and w/o the cams TDC is anytime the piston is at the top.

That was my initial thinking as well, just wondering if there is any trick to doing that with the cams out, or is just holding the chain relatively tight while turning it is fine.

Yes hold the chain up so it does not bunch and jam at the crank gear.

Other than that, if the piston is up and timing index mark centered in the sight window,, you're at TDC

It is more difficult to turn the motor backwards because the starter clutch drags the starter motor.  But you can still do it, no problem.  With the cams out you can turn the crank with no worries either way.  Re-aligh the TDC mark, install the cams using the timing marks on the cams.  Easier than a KTM because you can easily see all the timing marks.