HID vs Halogen headlamps

putting together a factory order on a new truck, HID headlights are available as part of a package with a few extra things I don't want that is an extra $2665 :eek: . Sadly it's not a stand alone option which is where my dilemma comes in. How much of a difference do HID lights make? Would it make enough difference to be worth the money?

don't. If you really want HID in a DOT legal vehicle, do it on the aftermarket.

You can do it aftermarket for a 1/10th of that cost.

I agree with the others, it's not worth that amount of money. eBay has quite a bit of options for a fraction of the cost.

The package itself is 4 things, HID lights Navigation Moonroof and a tailgate step. I want the lights and the nav but unfortunately they aren't stand alone options. I can get the nav by itself and they make it look like you can do the same with the lights on the build your own site. Then the option would only be $595 but then  you click on the option and  it adds the luxury package  :rant:

Edited by BIGBLUEKNIGHT

BIGBLUEKNIGHT,

I'm not a GPS expert by any means. I have a question. How would you update a built in navigation system? Just going by what little I know about navigation systems, I would think that a stand alone GPS would be better. Probably cheaper too.

What kinda truck is it?  I thought all the big 3 now had LED's.  I cant think of any trucks that come from the factory with HID.  Id love to have something with LED headlights.  LEDs make me wet!

BIGBLUEKNIGHT,

I'm not a GPS expert by any means. I have a question. How would you update a built in navigation system? Just going by what little I know about navigation systems, I would think that a stand alone GPS would be better. Probably cheaper too.

I'm not one either, I have a stand alone unit right now and I keep waffling between upgrading my stand alone and not getting nav on the truck or just getting built in nav. Did some googling on the update process.  You buy an update pack from ford and you load it to the system through a series cd's 

What kinda truck is it?  I thought all the big 3 now had LED's.  I cant think of any trucks that come from the factory with HID.  Id love to have something with LED headlights.  LEDs make me wet!

Ford F150, 2013 was the first year of optional HID headlights in the lariat, king ranch, and raptor and standard on the platinum and limited. first pickup to have HID's as far as  i know. 

I'd do both of them aftermarket, save a bundle and probably get better options than the factory offers.

I have aftermarket HID's the problem is the warm up time going from lo to hi beam or vice-versa. I think the factory HID's don't have that problem, the aftermarket HID's I have are 4 years old, so technology has probably moved on from then

Trust me, HID is worth every dam penny.....I put tremendous miles on my vehicle every year and switched to HID last year, easily 5 telephone pole lengths plus in distance. The warm up time can be a bit of a delay but I switched over to another setup which take half the time to warm up vs other ones. The real downside is they don't like bumpy roads that well, I have burnt out 1 ballast and 2 bulbs.....

IMO, mount a LED light bar. They can be covered when needed (like driving around the city) but when its dark you can unleash the sun. They are extremely popular in Northern Canada in the oil/gas industry ....

Coming from multiple multiple second hand experiences from many of my friends, factory hids are the way to go. "1/10" the cost may be great but your ballasts will crap out eventually and other electrical problems might arise. Seriously one friend had tail light problems after he installed his?? Like wtf? Yes aftermarket is good if you go the expensive rout, but if your going that way anyways get them from the factory so you know its done right, with a warranty and all. Just not worth the trouble you get what you pay for, do it the right way. Plus aftermarket hids are typically very very blue instead of a soft, easy on the eye sky blue you'd get from the assembly line. That's my 2 cents

Trust me, HID is worth every dam penny.....I put tremendous miles on my vehicle every year and switched to HID last year, easily 5 telephone pole lengths plus in distance. The warm up time can be a bit of a delay but I switched over to another setup which take half the time to warm up vs other ones. The real downside is they don't like bumpy roads that well, I have burnt out 1 ballast and 2 bulbs.....

IMO, mount a LED light bar. They can be covered when needed (like driving around the city) but when its dark you can unleash the sun. They are extremely popular in Northern Canada in the oil/gas industry ....

Coming from multiple multiple second hand experiences from many of my friends, factory hids are the way to go. "1/10" the cost may be great but your ballasts will crap out eventually and other electrical problems might arise. Seriously one friend had tail light problems after he installed his?? Like &%$#@!? Yes aftermarket is good if you go the expensive rout, but if your going that way anyways get them from the factory so you know its done right, with a warranty and all. Just not worth the trouble you get what you pay for, do it the right way. Plus aftermarket hids are typically very very blue instead of a soft, easy on the eye sky blue you'd get from the assembly line. That's my 2 cents

Sounds like HID's are awesome but I guess i have to decide if they are $2700 awesome

Talk to your dealer. Maybe you can work something out with them getting the one option? Have you looked at buying the parts you need through ford? Idk I'm just speaking out loud

Aftermarket HID bulbs in halogen housings is illegal and blinds everyone else.  Please don't be that guy. 

Aftermarket HID bulbs in halogen housings is illegal and blinds everyone else. Please don't be that guy.

Hilarious you say that. Most people don't know its actually illegal to lift a truck also lol. Just one of those laws nobody enforces

The point where light emits from an HID bulb is wrong for a halogen housing. What you end up with is a scattered beam that blinds oncoming traffic and does no better at lighting up the road ahead of you. Illegal or not, its still retarded. If you want to convert to HID, then do it with the right housings/projectors.

HID's are better, but not $2700 better. There are a few good retrofits you can do, but it will cost a bit more than $270.

Hilarious you say that. Most people don't know its actually illegal to lift a truck also lol. Just one of those laws nobody enforces

But lifting a truck (if the headlights are adjusted properly) doesn't blind the sh*t out of me when I'm driving my little Festiva. :) 

Well if you didn't hate me before now you have a real good reason. I run a full HID setup in both the low beam and high beam housings of my GMC. Its painfully bright! But I drive more then most, mostly at night and around deer, moose and bison.....

Well if you didn't hate me before now you have a real good reason. I run a full HID setup in both the low beam and high beam housings of my GMC. Its painfully bright! But I drive more then most, mostly at night and around deer, moose and bison.....

I would not wait around for a cease and desist letter from deer, moose, bison.