Yellowed Tank, any way clean up?

Hey everybody, I've got a 1992 cr250 that has a tank on it that has yellowed over the years, or at least gotten dingy.  Any way to clean up the tank to restore it to its original white color?  any solution to put the tank in, bleach? anything like that?  anybody seen the trick with a razor blade and heat gun to give old plastics a new shine? anyone think that could work? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would try a Mr. Clean Magic eraser before anything else. 

You're not going to get it back to white. You can clean it up and get it a little brighter. I actually sanded my tank with 400 grit paper and used Zep industrial purple to clean it. It looks great until you put on the new plastic kit and realize how "cream" colored the tank still is.

Go to auto parts, buy a 3m headlight repair kit.

It will make your tank brand new.

I have done flash red, white, green( kx) and always it ends up perfect.

Once you buy the kit next time buy the consumables. No need to buy the kit over and over.

Once you buy the kit next time buy the consumables. No need to buy the kit over and over.

no kidding, i'll have to give that a try, thanks guys!

I just finished doing 2 95 and a 94 tank, I got them looking like new by sanding them with 600 then 1200 wet sand.

Odd, I tried this kit on my pickups yellowing headlights, almost no improvement. The tank in my avatar is whats keeping me from getting new plastic for the old machine. Would like to see before after of the white tanks with the 3m kit. That almond color is all the way through the plastic..

I have never tried actually fixing a headlight with it.

I can probably dig up some before/ after pictures, will look and see what i have.

It sounds like if your tank is dis colored all the way thru then maybe it is done for. I havent ran into that yet.

You will never get the tank white-  no amount of cleaning, sanding, rubbing, polishing will get it white.

the oil and fuel mixture is a gold color which stains the tank all the way through the plastic. That staining along with dirt being ground into the outside of the tank for 21 years makes it impossible to get it white.

Buy the clark gas tank for 200 bucks and enjoy-