Sign in to follow this  

Freshly built motor sitting all winter?

This seems like a silly question to me but better safe than sorry.  I just finished up building my CRF (again).  I pre-preemptively replaced my OEM lower end after 400 hours on it.  It's a good thing I did to because the I.D. of the small end of the crank was .001" larger than spec.  I installed a rebuilt crank, new mains, gaskets, piston, etc (the head is still in good shape).  Being this late in the season I really don't even want to start it until the spring.  Will there be any negative affects of not breaking it in now versus doing it in the sping?  I have filled the engine with fresh oil and put the coolant in the bike as well and I had planned on leaving it like this until the spring.  Thoughts?

1377612_309197509223231_1761228934_n.jpg

It will be fine. But one thing you can do come spring is pull the spark plug and turn the engine over a bunch with a drill. This will prime the engine with oil so you don't have a dry start.

• Like 1

I notice that you have a kick starter on your bike. Easy way to prime, Well cared for bike!

Edited by underbike

DO you have engine fogger spray  available in your area?  I don't know HOW cold it gets in your winters but if you can find it, spray it into the plug hole, THEN kick it over a few times to spread it.   Is there any way you can also easily get some spray into the exhaust and intake?  It would be nice to "preserve" those valves until spring.

Since it will be sitting for a while I would use the kickstarter to bring the engine up to the compression stroke. This will relieve pressure on the valve springs and also seal the cylinder so that moisture and rodents have no way into the engine. Also put a muffler plug in the bike. It would be good to at least start it before storage to circulate oil.

I notice that you have a kick starter on your bike. Easy way to prime, Well cared for bike!

Using the kick starter won't build adequate oil pressure.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I had the same thought about the kick starter for priming the system but figured it would not spin the pump fast enough. I do always set the piston just past TDC so there should be no pressure on the valve springs so I should be ok there. I also slathered assembly lube all over the cam when I installed it but I am wondering if it would be a good idea to take the valve cover off in the spring and brush on some fresh oil on the cam just to be safe.

You're overthinking it. 

Fire it up, make sure it runs, do the break-in later.

With fresh oil circulated through, you're in better shape than almost every other bike will be come next spring.

You're overthinking it. 

Fire it up, make sure it runs, do the break-in later.

With fresh oil circulated through, you're in better shape than almost every other bike will be come next spring.

If you do ^^ this ^^, I would suggest fogging the motor when you're done.  If you only run it for a minute or 2, it will never come up to operating temp and there's a chance of top end condensation when you shut it off.