Sign in to follow this  

totalled my car need a new one what should i get

so totalled my car (wasnt my fault damn women drivers) the insurance gave me 5300 so thats about my budget. i want a 4 or 5 speed and something good on gas( i have to drive a good distance everyday). i was thinking either between a civic, cobalt, jetta, or a small truck (ranger, s10, dakota etc.) what do you think is a good small car that gets good gas mileage and is a stick? 

A Civic would be a good reliable and affordable car and would get great gas milage.  It should also be pretty easy to find one around with a 5 speed.  Your not really gona find a car thats a 4 speed unless your looking at stuff thats 30-40 years old.  Pretty much any stick car you find is gona be a 5 speed, probably more likely to find something with a 6 speed than a 4 speed haha. 

The small trucks really dont do that great on gas unless you get a 4cyl 2wd, which then you may as well just get the car.

You really cant go wrong with a civic as long as you dont buy a complete pile of junk, those cars will go forever and dont need much maintenance.

I bought a 96 civic for $2000 has a 5 speed and a 4 banger. Gets 37 mpg,Better if I go the speed limit. It drives nice is reliable has 180k in it. Sometimes I feel kinda lame driving it but I also have a Powerstroke for when I feel the need to prove my sexual orientation.... Anyways you can find a nice civic in your price range if you choose to go that route.

• Like 1

the Cobalt is decent and I really like the S10/sonoma. The jettas have a lot of electric problems over the years and the 4x4 ranger/dokata get bad gas milage compared to a 4x4 5speed s10.

Only buy a honda/acura If you have a locking garage to park it in every night. Otherwise you will deal with your car being stolen/vandalized/broken into on a yearly basis. 

I've had 2 civic and 1 integra and lived in 4 different cities in 3 different states. All of them with very different crime rates, but i still had my cars stolen and messed up. Unless you can lock it in a windowless garage every night it isn't worth owning in my opinion. I have tried: entry alarm, 2way alarm, locking lug nuts, steering wheel club, remote kill switch.... none of it works. Guys are really good at stealing hondas and if they like yours they wont let anything get in their way. Unless of course you have a kill switch and then they just get pissed off and destroy your car instead and steal random parts off of it.  

I have never had anyone touch my 2000 gmc sierra. Likewise I have left my dirtbikes in the back of the pickup over night without anyone stealing them out of my driveway. But for god sake every other person that drives by my house is either casing out or attempting to steel my effing honda.   :banghead:

That can get you a lot of car, It wont get you hardly anything at the dealer though. you could prob get a 10 yr old Lexus for that kind of cash or some other older flagship vehicle

• Like 1

A civic is twice the car of a cobalt or any of those crappy little domestic cars. They also have a lot more resale so you'll have to pay more but in the end it'll be worth it. Quarter ton trucks are pigs on gas unless their 2 wheel drive standard and if you have any winter at all, 2 wheel drive trucks, especially light little ones are far from capable.

I have an 05 Civic. My mother had a 91, a 96 and now a 14. Not a single problem with any of them, their resale is great and the quality is there as well. A jetta isn't a bad little car, my buddy has a diesel one but the parts to fix them are triple what Honda wants. Plus a honda can be worked on in your garage. A corolla is another option but I've always liked Honda's a little more, they're a bit "cooler". You can find a good 05 and older, very low mileage civic for what your price range is and they're great little cars. Do your timing belts every 100,000 and keep your oil changed and they'll run forever.

• Like 1

I have a chevy colorado with a 5 speed stick(plain jane single cab), it had a battery at 90,000 miles, presently has 121,000 miles. other than than just oil changes and filters. It would be perfect for your money, but I'm not selling it just yet. WHY!

Id have to buy another one, and this one is paid for >G

Some day I have to replace the spark plugs though, probably in the next 10,000 mile or so.

But IMO, if you can find an original owner vehicle, and basic stick probably best bet. Mines not even needed clutch fluid, so the lining must be in great shape, Still on original front ceramic pads, the the rear drum shoes have been changes a few times.

I dont like cars at all,mainly cause you have to jack them up to change the oil, plus hard to work out of them job wise

Edited by Spud786

Do not, I repeat, do not, get a Jetta. I've had 2 and they are always in the shop. Fun to drive and a good looking car but geez they break alot.

• Like 2

Out of that list I think the Civic is by far the best option.  My dad's 96 went 285k on the first engine and he only changed the oil about every 20k miles and it managed 40 mpg on the highway the whole time.  He put a second used engine in it and took the car to 380k miles before it died again.  A Corolla is another good one, or a Nissan Sentra.  I've always been a fan of the Mazda Protege/3 too and they have decent reliability.  I'd stay away from anything GM unless you like to fix stupid things all the time like door handles or seat adjustment handles.

Vw and audi are terrible after 70k miles. Civics are great as long as you don't overheat them. They'll still blow a headgasket very easily.

Do not, I repeat, do not, get a Jetta. I've had 2 and they are always in the shop. Fun to drive and a good looking car but geez they break alot.

You're doing something wrong. We got 333k km on ours. No problems. Our family has at least 5 or 6 TDI jetta's and golfs. No problems. Maybe you got 2 lemons?

• Like 1

My mother's first civic hit over 400k (of women driven, well maintained kilometres mind you) before the rust caused her to upgrade. Her second had well over 300 on it too before she sold that. They run forever if you maintain them and keep the timing belts changed. I still have my civic, I will probably never get rid of it. It's a nice little car to drive around when I have somewhere far to go that driving a lifted truck to doesn't make sense.

DO NOT get an an s10 . Absolutely pile of shit. Go with a ranger. I get 24 mpg in a 2.3 2wd . its a 93. My friends got an 08 ranger same thing 4 cyl 2wd . he gets 28 so its pretty good. No Chevys , gmc . My dads been a mechanic for 40 years and I've been right besides him for 5 years. Ford would be good. civics are okay little cars too

DO NOT get an an s10 . Absolutely pile of shit. Go with a ranger. I get 24 mpg in a 2.3 2wd . its a 93. My friends got an 08 ranger same thing 4 cyl 2wd . he gets 28 so its pretty good. No Chevys , gmc . My dads been a mechanic for 40 years and I've been right besides him for 5 years. Ford would be good. civics are okay little cars too

So you don't have any qualms with having heads warp and every gasket leaking on the ranger engines before they get 100K miles on them?

I have no experience with the following car, but I think they are about the nicest car if you have around $4000 to spend. The MAZDA 3 or MAZDA 6. Very nice cars, and I hear they don't have many complaints.

Do not get an s10.... lol ive had 3 all with over 200k when ive sokd them, never did anything to them. They just run and run.

I had a GMC Sonoma 2wd 4cyl stick. The brakes, door and tailgate hinges and shocks were the only things changed in 150K.