Sign in to follow this  

ktm 450 xcw Engine Problems !

Ok ive got some major problems i went to change the oil on the bike i just got i go to take out the bottom allen head drain bolt and it cracks into 3 pieces so i got an easy out drilled the center of the bolt and i put the easy out in when i twisted it it craked my case all around my drain plug. So im in need of some advice on what too do i priced cases today it was gonna be 2000 for parts and labor to fix it all i just dont know what to do and am very mad at that orange thing parked in my shop HELP PLEASE

If you know anybody that can tig weld or a good welding shop just get it welded up. If welded properly it should be fine. Make sure you unplug all electrical (cdi box, coil, ect)before welding on your bike. Good luck

Thats what i was thinking about doing just didnt know what would be my cheapest best route

Outside of getting a new case and doing a complete tear down and rebuild.Tig welding is the most reliable and should be pretty cheap. It is also a pretty small job for a good welder. In my opinion.

The Achilles heel of the EZ-OUT is that it expands the fastener you are trying to remove digging it even harder into the threads, potentially cracking the part the fastener is threaded in to.  For future reference, EZ-OUTs should ONLY be used on fasteners where the head has broken off due to overtorquing but has not bottomed out in the hole or on fasteners after the head has been removed by drilling (relieving the tension on the threads) and in some cases after heating the fastener to relieve tension.  It is not to be used on intact fasteners and is not to be used on fasteners with corroded threads.

But yes, this is an easy repair for any handy welder.  If you can split your own cases and bring them in to him you should be out the door for $50 or less.  If you bring him the whole bike he may turn you away he may do it for cheap he may charge you more.  It is always best to bring a bare case.  Welding oil impregnated aluminum is a pain and he will want to do a thorough washing and will probably require two passes of welding, one to burn absorbed oil and one to make a sealing bead.

Edited by 1987CR250R

This is the correct process for using an Easy Out to remove a stripped socket head screw.

First, drill a small pilot hole for the easy out completely through the bolt and into the shaft.  Then, using a bit larger than the shaft of the bolt drill completely through the head.

488_zps98f4ea96.jpg

Remove the head of the bolt and whatever it was fastening revealing the remains of the bolt.

489_zpsccff3e88.jpg

Then use the Ez Out to remove the remains of the bolt.

490_zpsacd8b820.jpg

491_zpsdb0cea67.jpg

Notice I am not cranking on it with a large wrench as I have relieved the tension in the bolt and there was very little force required to remove the remains.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Ok ive got some major problems i went to change the oil on the bike i just got i go to take out the bottom allen head drain bolt and it cracks into 3 pieces so i got an easy out drilled the center of the bolt and i put the easy out in when i twisted it it craked my case all around my drain plug. So im in need of some advice on what too do i priced cases today it was gonna be 2000 for parts and labor to fix it all i just dont know what to do and am very mad at that orange thing parked in my shop HELP PLEASE

Reed, you need to post this on ktmtalk as well. I know the mechanics visit here, but it's not regular. You also need to post some pictures of the damage. That cast aluminum is very soft and it may not have cracked very far. Timeserts are a fix. The usual method of removal for the stock allen plug is to run the engine til warm, insert a straight allen wrench and smack it with a hammer. Drain plugs on the older bikes get stripped a lot. Harbor Freight click torque wrenches are only $11.00 and are very accurate. I checked mine against the snap-on 3/8" dial torque wrench and it was right on. One of the better values you can get. I bet you can get the timesert to work, unless the damage is extensive. Pictures will tell the story. If you post, and get results on the other website, double post here for the TT members.

If it needs to be welded just drain all fluids and remove the gas tank and unplug all electrical. Take it to the welder flip it upside down and get it welded. I know a few welders and I am sure they would not ask me to take the engine out or take it apart. The only way that would happen is if the spot to be welded was really hard to get at.

Edited by capecampbell