2007 Cr125 Mods

Alright guys, I'm wanting to do a few mods to my 07 Cr125 this winter. It is currently stock except for a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and R-304 silencer. First, I am considering sending my cylinder off to Eric Gorr to get the 144 big bore package. I have heard good reviews about this but does anyone have any experience with it? Second is reeds. I am trying to choose between Boyesen and VForce. Any suggestions? Third is carb. I have the stock carb on it right now and have heard good things about the Keihin Airstriker carb. Is it worth the money to switch? Any help would be appreciated. I want to get all the power I can get out of it. Also any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

What kind of rider are you? Novice/expert, track/woods?

Get a lectron carb. I bought mine for my 125 couldn't be more amazed at how good it performs.

Giolomba_UK

Posted Today, 01:56 AM

What kind of rider are you? Novice/expert, track/woods?

I'm an Intermediate rider. I race mostly MX but also do some woods riding.

Alright guys, I'm wanting to do a few mods to my 07 Cr125 this winter. It is currently stock except for a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe and R-304 silencer. First, I am considering sending my cylinder off to Eric Gorr to get the 144 big bore package. I have heard good reviews about this but does anyone have any experience with it? Second is reeds. I am trying to choose between Boyesen and VForce. Any suggestions? Third is carb. I have the stock carb on it right now and have heard good things about the Keihin Airstriker carb. Is it worth the money to switch? Any help would be appreciated. I want to get all the power I can get out of it. Also any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

If you race competitively, you want to make sure the bb kit is still legal in your class before doing it.  I have a 94 cr125 that has an 144cc EG bb kit with a 38mm PWK airstriker carb and I can tell you it is awesome.  The bike has tons of power and pulls stock gearing with ease.  Most 125's have to be geared lower in order to pull the gearing, it is nice to have stock gearing and be able to blast out of corners in 3rd gear without using the clutch.  My bike has EG's "Mo Betta" porting but I know a lot of guys like the mid/top porting.

If you race competitively, you want to make sure the bb kit is still legal in your class before doing it.  I have a 94 cr125 that has an 144cc EG bb kit with a 38mm PWK airstriker carb and I can tell you it is awesome.  The bike has tons of power and pulls stock gearing with ease.  Most 125's have to be geared lower in order to pull the gearing, it is nice to have stock gearing and be able to blast out of corners in 3rd gear without using the clutch.  My bike has EG's "Mo Betta" porting but I know a lot of guys like the mid/top porting.

Alright thank for the help man. The bb kit is legal where I race which is good. Do you run yours with race or pump gas and do you have any reeds that you prefer over the other?

Alright thank for the help man. The bb kit is legal where I race which is good. Do you run yours with race or pump gas and do you have any reeds that you prefer over the other?

I have mine set up for pump fuel.  You can choose pump or race fuel when you order the bb kit from EG.  He asks as part of the order how you want the head cut.  I am using an boyesen rad valve on my bike.  It works well with the 38mm carb because the rad valve uses a very stretchy rubber boot connecting the carb to the reed cage, also the bike came with it when I bought the bike.  If it would have come with a stock reed cage, I would use stock and when the petals wore out, I would replace them with boyesen carbon fiber petals.  You can stretch the stock boot around the 38mm carb but will probably have to heat it up with a hair dryer to get it to stretch. 

Get a lectron carb. I bought mine for my 125 couldn't be more amazed at how good it performs.

Alright thanks man. Ill have to look into it! 

Exhaust spacers are also a cheap add for a bit of bottom end i have a 5mm and 10mm the 5 works great an i believe it was 20 bucks or so

Exhaust spacers are also a cheap add for a bit of bottom end i have a 5mm and 10mm the 5 works great an i believe it was 20 bucks or so

Did you order yours from MxBonz ? I see they sell them for $20. I have heard good things about them.

Did you order yours from MxBonz ? I see they sell them for $20. I have heard good things about them.

He doesn't have any and isn't making them anymore.  I think you have to check ebay.

He doesn't have any and isn't making them anymore.  I think you have to check ebay.

Did he quit making everything? Or just the exhaust spacers? Because i would like to get the Airbox fix too.

Did he quit making everything? Or just the exhaust spacers? Because i would like to get the Airbox fix too.

He's quit making his small stuff like exhaust spacers.  You can still get an airbox kit.  I just put one on my 06 250.  I had sent him an email about them and he just said he was concetrating on the most profitable stuff.

Edited by frdbtr

Spend a little more money and send it someone who can do a better job with the BB.

He's quit making his small stuff like exhaust spacers.  You can still get an airbox kit.  I just put one on my 06 250.  I had sent him an email about them and he just said he was concetrating on the most profitable stuff.

Alright good deal. Thanks man. How do you like that Airbox kit? Does it seem to seal up pretty good? They look like a pretty good investment I think.

Spend a little more money and send it someone who can do a better job with the BB.

Who would you suggest? The only other company i have found is MaxRpm's.

Yeah, who would that be?  I have had him work on every 2 stroke I have owned the last few years and everyone that rides my bikes can't believe how much power and how friendly the power delivery is.  My 80 got a 105cc bb with low/mid porting and no one can believe how much power it has, same with my 94 cr144, everyone is amazed at how good it runs.  So, for all the extra money you spend what do you get by going with someone else? 

Alright good deal. Thanks man. How do you like that Airbox kit? Does it seem to seal up pretty good? They look like a pretty good investment I think.

I liked it.  I only did it because I hated the design from honda and wanted a flat sealing survace to mate my air filter to.  The only bad part about it is he sends 2 pieces of aluminum, one for the sealing surface, the other for the back side of the boot on the outside of the box.  In my kit, I was not happy with the part that went on the outside so I just used the stock honda one.  Make sure you are very meticulous about cutting out the nubs inside the box so they are flat and use 3m sealer on the inside and outside of the airbox to make sure the whole thing seals up tight.  And don't over tighten the bolts so it distorts the sealing surface.  It is a very expensive fix but it looks great and seals up nice.  If you wanted to just use grease on your sealing surface and not pay $60 for the kit it would probably work good too but I wanted mine actually fixed and not band aided.

One last thought on Eric Gorr.  He invented the 144cc big bore kit back in the 70's so going with someone else to have "a better job" done, just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  His quality is exceptional so all of you who think you have to pay more in order to get better work are just paying more. 

Yea, well when you get a 144 kit back from him that has a 17.1 compression ratio, even after you send it back to him telling him something is obviously wrong, you tend to doubt his quality. By the time I got done, I spent about 800. And lo and behold. Thats about the price of a kit thats done right.