Jetting aus drz400e mrd/ssw

hey, i have recently ordered a mrd/ssw pipe and a jd jetting kit for my stock 2013 drz400e australian model snorkel removed, i ride mostly at sea level, i am planning on using

165 main jet (i believe this is the size already installed on au models)

jd blue

clip 4

my question is would i have to change the jetting if using the quiet insert in the mrd? and do these setting look about right?

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated 

regards

Ben

i also purchased a R&D flex jet screw, does this mean i will have to change the pilot jet from stock? and does the amount of turns out vary from aftermarket to original screw

Even if the stock main jet is 165 still drop it to a 160? And the after market screw should be fine with the 45 pilot jet

Ok thanks for help, what's the reason for making the main jet smaller than stock after a new pipe? just curious, is it even worth rejetting?

Ok thanks for help, what's the reason for making the main jet smaller than stock after a new pipe? just curious, is it even worth rejetting?

The reason is the new needle is more rich than stock so when you reach WOT(Wide Open Throttle) with the 165 you will bog because you end up too rich. You need the smaller main #160 to offset the needle. Essentially whats happening is your adding more fuel from 1/4 throttle up to just before WOT and it's only at WOT that the main jet open all the way.  

The set up Craigo is giving you is proven....you'll see!!!

• Like 1

Hey Craigo I too have a jd jet kit was curious what you'd suggest 09sm mrd/ssw 3x3 and a TT fuel screw in phx az about 1100 to 1200 above sea level

Hey Craigo I too have a jd jet kit was curious what you'd suggest 09sm mrd/ssw 3x3 and a TT fuel screw in phx az about 1100 to 1200 above sea level

Same deal as post #3, however if you have the mikuni carb, use 22.5 pilot jet with extended fuel screw or 25 with stock fuel screw

Ok so my jd kit arrived still waiting on the pipe, wondering if I can rejet now so when the pipe comes I can just bolt it on, any harm in the bike running rich for a week or two? Or will there be any notice in lack of performance with craigos settings?

Thanks for the help Craigo, I've installed the pipe and the jd jet kit with the settings you suggested, the bike seems to run great through the whole throttle range, just was wondering about the pilot jet, it seems to have to best idle at just 3/4 of a turn out, if I turn it all the way the bike does stumble badly but does not stall, it improves dramatically at 1/4 of a turn and there isn't a great deal of change between 1/4 and 1 turn, only a very slight difference if any and at 2 turns the revs start to die off, do you think the 45 pilot might be to big or should I just set it at around 1 turn?

Ok cool I'll leave it as is, the original fuel screw setting was 2.5 turns out, why do you think the setting has to be so different now when the pilot get hasn't been changed? Seems strange

Ok cool I'll leave it as is, the original fuel screw setting was 2.5 turns out, why do you think the setting has to be so different now when the pilot get hasn't been changed? Seems strange

Fuel screw settings change with the weather....

If set correctly ,warmer weather will see your FS turned in more than in cold weather.. ....

there is always some variation from bike to bike as well..2.25 turns is where most settings end up as an average

the 45 pilot jet should be fine

Edited by Craigo 485sm