Gains from adding hot cams?

I too have been thinking about getting hot cams.  Except I've got 07 drz sm with 3x3, mrd, jetted and quick turn throttle.  I know fcr would probably do more but I don't want to lose the gas mileage that I currently get.  Plus an additional 250$ over cams.

Yeah , I am hearing you.....but you get the performance you pay for,.... performance costs one way or another..,fact...

• Like 1

Hot cams do not offer a two stage cam for the Drz .. As of now they have two types of cams on their site 2249-1in and 2250-1e lower to mid performance , 2251-1in and 2252-1e made to be used together give power through out the whole rpm range ... 4,000 and up .. But they do not consider them stage 1 or 2

A little off topic, but I was considering getting just the exhaust hotcam for the auto-decomp. I removed the one off my stock cam and the electric leg has a little trouble sometimes getting the job done. I hear hotcams fixed the problem with the pin coming out. Can anyone confirm this? Also would I gain anything from only the one cam for the lower to mid range?

A little off topic, but I was considering getting just the exhaust hotcam for the auto-decomp. I removed the one off my stock cam and the electric leg has a little trouble sometimes getting the job done. I hear hotcams fixed the problem with the pin coming out. Can anyone confirm this? Also would I gain anything from only the one cam for the lower to mid range?

If your going to change 1 cam you might as well do both.....

Though you could just change out the ex cam, .....the E cam is higher spec than hotcams ex cam

Fitted bigger carb, hi flow exhaust system, 3x3 air box conversion, KN filter and hot cams to inlet an exhaust to my DRZ400 SM K8. Seems the engine needs all the tuning bits to really perform. Didn't bother with E model CDI to extend the rev range but kept standard SM road gearing ratio. DRZ motor will never have the edge of a full blown MX bike but will out live all of them. Guess next move would be to have full Yoshi race kit fitted, but  this involves having crankcases machined for longer stroke. 

Hot cams only improve engine breathing so all other restrictions need to be minimised for them to show there true potential.