Sign in to follow this  

I'm so much slower during a race

During practice and normal riding I can get some pretty good laps in and pass a good amount of people pretty easily. But for some reason during a race I'm so much slower and I have a really hard time passing. I don't feel tensed up and I feel fine but for some reason I'm just so much slower. What should I do?

During practice and normal riding I can get some pretty good laps in and pass a good amount of people pretty easily. But for some reason during a race I'm so much slower and I have a really hard time passing. I don't feel tensed up and I feel fine but for some reason I'm just so much slower. What should I do?

1... buy a stop watch and see if what you think is true???

2... if your local track splits practice, go out with the intermediate/expert practice... because those are the guys who race the novice class on race day

3... sign up for beginner class and sand bag like every other guy out there

your race results will improve... trust me... 

• Like 6

Don't watch the rider in front of you. Watch the rider in front of him and passing will be easier :thumbsup: .

Again. Relax and Remember to Breath. Loose grip on the bars :ride: .

that's why they call it a race.  No sense getting hurt in practice, but now it's game time...if you think you're gonna pass, you got another thing coming.  I think ya need to learn some respect for your fellow riders.

• Like 1

Do not pass through your gears too fast because when I do it on my crf250 once I hit 4th or 5th gear it will slow down

1... buy a stop watch and see if what you think is true???

2... if your local track splits practice, go out with the intermediate/expert practice... because those are the guys who race the novice class on race day

3... sign up for beginner class and sand bag like every other guy out there

your race results will improve... trust me... 

The truest post  :lol:

Sounds to me like there are much quicker riders in your class.

When practicing, its so hard to gauge speed because most people aren't on their A game until the actual race itself.

Its hard to say what you should do without seeing you ride, clearly if you're not quick enough, your just that... not quick enough. So you may just need work at becoming quicker.

Sounds to me like there are much quicker riders in your class.

When practicing, its so hard to gauge speed because most people aren't on their A game until the actual race itself.

Its hard to say what you should do without seeing you ride, clearly if you're not quick enough, your just that... not quick enough. So you may just need work at becoming quicker.

X2. A bunch of the guys I ride/race with take it easy during practice. When it comes to race time, you best be getting out of the way. IMO just practice more and work on getting faster. (And get yer suspension set up right!!)

At the local amateur level, just work on your 5 lap sprints..

This guys got it. If you aren't going to be racing at say LLs then you really don't need to be working on superhuman endurance.

If you want to ride 5 laps as fast as possible in a race, then do 10 as fast as possible in practice.

I think what your doing is just realizing that you aren't as fast as you thought.

Have a friend time you in practice, then write down your times, then have em time you in your race. If your time truly changes you need to find out why and fix it. However if you are as calm as you say you are, then they shouldn't be changing.

The way i find out the kind of pace I'm running is by knowing what gear im hitting certain corners or obstacles in. Its a rough way to judge but it works for me.

I think that's one of my biggest problems I can barely do 5 laps at a good pace I work out regularly and ride as often as I can but I guess I just need to force myself to do 10 laps every practice

Some people just can't get their head in the game during a race. My friend is exactly like that.....he's easily a top A rider when practicing and playing around but becomes a B rider when racing.....

Some people just can't get their head in the game during a race. My friend is exactly like that.....he's easily a top A rider when practicing and playing around but becomes a B rider when racing.....

I gotta friend that is the opposite, or at least used to be, gettin a bit old these days....somehow during the races, this guy fully commits. If he can keep from cratering, he's gotta shot at pro money. Otherwise, if not a competition, he can't get his head in it, and crater city.  This is the kinda guy that will race ya to the drinking fountain...he can't help it. He'd trip and fall though if ya didn't try to beat him.

I think that's one of my biggest problems I can barely do 5 laps at a good pace I work out regularly and ride as often as I can but I guess I just need to force myself to do 10 laps every practice

Sounds like your 'regular workout' needs some changing...

Whoa, yea work on endurance. Dont worry so much about straight up strength building, work more towards endurance, when you can endure about 15 laps at full race pace, your going somewhere. On my local track i run 2.06 mins per lap and i can run laps, not at full race pace, for 1 hour 45 mins, which is when gas starts to need replenished. At race pace, i run 2 40 minute motos and I'm pretty beat, but it is a hell of a workout and no one on the track will have the endurance you have. In a race i went to in great Michigan they had 30 minutes plus 2 laps. I was sitting i think 8th, outta 34, and when i hit the 10th lap, i reeled guys in like they werent there. Finished the race with a 13 second lead. I was by no means the fastest guy out there. At all. There were at least 10 guys that were faster than me. But because i ran my fastest lap way late in the moto, lap before last, i did decent in my opinion. Oh and my fastest lap time was 2.07 the guy who got seconds fastest lap time was 3 seconds faster. Just shows endurance pays off big.

• Like 1

How do you know this? Who are you practicing with and who are you racing with? If this is true maybe you're over thinking things on race day. Preparing your mind for race day starts the day before. I have a DVD you can buy or steam called: What To Do On Race Day. It's super cheap (7.98) and very informative. See a free preview and order online at: http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/vol-1-motocross-technique/dvd-5-what-to-do-on-raceday