Sign in to follow this  

te300 vs yz300

hey guys,

im chasing a 300 enduro bike, i curently have a yz250 set up and modified for enduro, question is do i 300 mine or buy the husa (or even the ktm)?

any advise appreciated 

I would think that with you already owning the Yamaha that it would be cheaper to just mod it out. I know things are expensive in Australia! It also depends on how well you like the Yamaha. I've grown up on them since being a wee lad, and while I've tried most other bikes out there, I keep coming back to Yamaha. I just love the way they handle!!! So if I was in your situation, I would just upgrade the YZ.

• Like 1

They won't be making the Husaberg any longer so you may have some part issues in the future.

Also Yamaha parts are so much cheaper.

With a ktm count on at least $1000 in suspension work to get it to handle properly. And many trips to the tuner. They take alot of work to get up to the level of the stock 06-up Yz suspension. IMO you allready got the Yz all setup, I'd just do the 295 for $660 and call it done.

• Like 1

I've briefly ridden a 2011 TE300 and I own a YZ295.  I thought the 300 was a fine bike. The owner was much heavier than me and had the right rear spring for him, so his TE300 felt very tall in the rear and unbalanced in corners. Besides I rode it for about 5 minutes and never at good pace. So I cannot the compare handling. The TE ergos were fine, other things I noticed much more. I didn't experience any magic in the Brembo brakes. My 2010 front caliper with good pads and stock 250mm rotor was stopping a lot easier. Goes to show that the basics of condition and setup of brake parts is more important. That TE had more enduro like power and suspension than my YZ295.  The TE certainly had softer low speed damping (but that could be clickers) and it had soft fork springs.  The TE power is broad but starts very tame at low revs and gradually builds torque as the RPMs rise. The 295 mo betta ported power hits harder off the very bottom, and you can easily revalve SSS suspension to do what ever you want.

BRM, The 2011 TE300 is a KTM300EXC, with dual chamber forks, clear tank and some other goodies.

I doubt there is a cheaper bike to own and ride a lot than a Jap 2 stroke. I know what KTM parts cost, and it usually blows my mind.

Edited by numroe

I built a EG 295 this summer ported for mid/low and I have not ridden a other two stroke that runs better or stronger across the range - that includes a 12 300XC, 13 250 SX, 13 Beta 300.

• Like 1

I built a EG 295 this summer ported for mid/low and I have not ridden a other two stroke that runs better or stronger across the range - that includes a 12 300XC, 13 250 SX, 13 Beta 300.

My yz250 has low/mid porting, and it'll grunt up anything, with the suspension carrying me like a magic carpet

Cheers fellas, firstly, my suspension is all ready set for offroad, and works a charm. The bike is in good nick thanks to almost no use by the last owner. Where have you seen such a cheap 300 kit? I'm in Australia, and the best I've seen is about a grand! I don't want or need snappy I'm after a true Enduro weapon, smooth traction is the key here.

Currently the bike has :

Suspension revalve etc,

Flywheel wieght

Rejetted

Protection various parts

18 inch rear wheel

The 'nice to haves'

And probably more ha!

Might have to also try a vforce ( claimed smoother and more gradual power)

Also considering an oversized front disc

Friday night here, that means one thing it's yz testing tomorrow, keep it coming and on two fellas!

I've got a 295 (mobetta) kit from Gorr on one bike and a 325 kit from ESR on another. I'm a short shifter that surfs the low end power a lot. 

My one issue with the 295 is that in the one place that I really wanted more power, right when the Rekluse Core EXP 1.0 (stock settings) engages, I didn't really seem to get much. Everywhere else I did however. The bike even has quite a bit more over-rev. With the 295 you keep the general character of the YZ. If you tune it nicely, I tend to run #9 throttle slides (both bikes) and retard my timing 2mm, crudely measured with a hex wrench at the timing mark, the bike has a nice transition onto the main fuel circuit and onto the powervalve. It'll hold fifth gear at any speed without stumbling (both bikes), which is something a lot of two strokes won't do. The mobetta is great for ice racing. But I'd probably go for the low-mid porting if I did it again.

I've only ridden (@200 miles of singletrack) the 325 for the time that I was recently in Minnesota. The 295 kit was on my Core EXP bike so I put it on my Rekluse Pro bike. I bought the "woods" ported one. At first I wasn't very happy with it. It sucked the first tank of gas down like a sailor after a long time at sea. But it improved quite a bit after a couple more. Again I wanted more power at Rekluse engagement. I got some. I would have liked to have gotten more (which is something that I will probably whine about for the rest of my life). ESR delivered my cylinder with quite a bit of preload on the power valve spring. I will probably back off some of that next time I get back to Minnesota. As it was, it was pretty rainy while I was there so I was riding on leaf covered mud. I seldom really needed the power valve to open. My seat of the pants dyno was telling me that power was starting to dip a little before the PV started opening. It took the PV a little time to break in and open more smoothly, not that it was ever really all that bad. A complainer would wonder aloud why they use a hex bolt instead of a regular bolt for the PV preload. I imagine I'll be able to adjust the preload easily enough.

What the 325 (woods) kit mostly does is change the total character of the bike. While the 295 kit seems to add a little vibration to the YZ. The 325 kit seems to change the nature of the vibration. Instead of vibrating at the engine and radiating outward, the 325 seems to resonate with the whole bike. The bike seems to work to dampen the overall feel of the vibration. It is an interesting effect. It also changed the nature of the power. It doesn't turn the YZ into a KTM. But it does seem to make a sort of YZ/KTM/Honda mashup. The power at the very bottom is KTM 300 good. Then it pick up in a slow linear fashion to the power valve. Slower than a YZ perhaps. But faster than a KTM, which I consider to be pretty flat. The power valve actuator on the 325 totally replaces the Yamaha set-up. It is adjustable for when it starts to open with a spring preload and the rate it opens is governed by a "jet". I think that ESR ships small jets in the woods cylinders. The valve opens slow and smooth like the servo driven 2002 and up Honda CR250. You notice that the power is increasing. You wouldn't call it a hit. It does a great job of maintaining traction. It takes a while before you start to expect the resulting wheelie and be ready for how fast the thing comes up. I was running a pretty worn tire in muddy conditions and was still pretty surprised from time to time. I was totally reminded of my old CR.

After some time with the 325 I started to call it the geezer pleaser. It makes the bike very easy to ride. The fairly late power valve means that you can ride faster in a given gear in a technical area before the power valve opens. Second gear and the Pro worked together to make the nastiest hills fun. The bike will wheelie third from a walking pace to clear a log.

My ridding buddies said that I was fast on the 325 even though I didn't seem to be working at it very hard. I loaned it to my friend's 17 year old son that doesn't get to ride very often (soccer mom), and he distanced his dad (a good B class rider) for the first time. He tailed me (an enduro A rider) through a pretty slippery area in the rain for quite a while, before he crashed. :)

I decided to keep it. ESR will take back their kit for 30 days. It's an easy bike to ride and I'll be 52 next week. I think some more tuning will make me pretty happy with it.

Here's some video of the bikes. The 295 bike is the aluminium tank, black gloves (Core EXP). The 325 is the steering dampener, yellow gloves (Pro). Both videos were taken in very wet conditions. The bike have the same gearing (14-49) and are in third gear most of the time, all of the time on the 325 vid. The 295 was in forth or fifth in some areas of its vid.

P.S. The 325 has THE BEST throttle modulation I have ever seen. You can dial in less power than it takes to keep the bike at a constant speed on bumpy level ground and dial on as much as it will put out.

Edited by shagger
  • Like 1

Great info there on both the 295 and 325, you seem much more confident on the 325 although that could be the trail, that 325 lugs like a champion, I'd like to see it pull out on to full noise! From what your saying, maybe I want the 325, where's it from and how much?

Which of the two do you prefer to ride?

Nice vids!! The sound emenating from that 325 was like a guteral, low growl. Whereas the sound from the 295 would get "raspy" at times, like a smokers voice sounds to me.

Both seemed to pull extremely well from very, very low in the powerband!!!

The guys did say that the 325 sounded like it meant what it was doing, we're old so that doesn't mean that it was loud. I usually stay sound check safe on my packing But maybe it  was on the ragged edge. I didn't think that it was that loud. But it didn't sound like a fresh pack either.

I didn't get any video of the 325 at full song. The 295 wasn't really either. I hadn't thought of that sort of thing. I'll keep that in mind in the future and rip a good one at least once.

Edited by shagger

My 295 has the low-mid porting and has gobs of low end power. I got used to riding my ktm for awhile and once I got back on the yz, I found out that the 295 may have even too much power on the bottom. (Way more bottom end power than my KTM.) It takes awhile to get used to, as it feels like it's right in the meat of the powerband right off of idle. The best part is, even with the low-mid porting, it doesn't feel like it lost any topend power either. 

• Like 1

Shagger,  I'm curious about why you say the mo betta 295 lacked power where your rekluse engaged? I'm guessing your 295 had/has some problem.

On single trail, my 295 has always been a bit too much for me just off idle. To tame it I end up riding a gear higher than seems sane, but the motor pulls instantly and strong anyway. It's just weird being so low in the rev range.  The problem was compounded by a grabby stock clutch that made it difficult to feed the power out smoothly. After a few hours on the trails my clutch hand was fatiguing a lot.  Today I installed a new Rekluse z-start pro clutch.  I've had the same brand and model clutch in my KX450F for years and love it and know it well. Bullet proof reliable and super long fiber life if mostly using it like a manual clutch.

With the pro clutch I rode legally around the neighborhood and the clutch seems to be working good.  Setup for the lowest RPM engage and hard hit, so using it for stall resistance and smoothing out the power at lugging RPMs, and I couldn't stall the motor with rear brake or throttle, no matter how hard I tried to. That is a seriously good thing. It also smooths out the EG295 off idle responsive bark. So much so that I went down a size on the pilot to a 45, which was previously too hesitant then agressive off idle, and rolling open off the bottom in lower gears seems fine now.  I've got the manual lever override working well so I can effortlessly introduce some extra slip when I want more or less power to the rear wheel. Full test Friday. Happy days coming I hope!

Edited by numroe

RIDER44

I like the Rekluse Core EXP clutch better than the Pro. So I like the 295. Which engine I prefer will have to wait until I've done more testing. 

Mission would be critical too. The 325 is really easy to ride and it does seem to go fast while doing so. The 295 feels faster and so it might be a bit more fun. It's hard to say which bike would get me a better result on a fairly long difficult enduro race. I'd like to think that my EXP bike would. But the last enduro I rode I "trail rode" my Pro bike, back when it was a 250, and got surprisingly good results. I thought that I would have been mid pack A class at best. But I beat the second place guys in 250A and Vet A and got third in Senior A. 

Numroe

From what I gather. The 295s kits are inconsistent and change over time. I bought mine used from a guy who bought it not long after they became available. So we're not really talking about the same cylinder. As to how it would feel without a Rekluse, I don't know. The bike that I put it on had the Rekluse in it already.  

Both my Rekluse clutches were installed with factory recommended settings and have clutch levers.

I've only ridden (@200 miles of singletrack) the 325 for the time that I was recently in Minnesota. The 295 kit was on my Core EXP bike so I put it on my Rekluse Pro bike. I bought the "woods" ported one. At first I wasn't very happy with it. It sucked the first tank of gas down like a sailor after a long time at sea. But it improved quite a bit after a couple more. Again I wanted more power at Rekluse engagement. I got some. I would have liked to have gotten more (which is something that I will probably whine about for the rest of my life). ESR delivered my cylinder with quite a bit of preload on the power valve spring. I will probably back off some of that next time I get back to Minnesota. As it was, it was pretty rainy while I was there so I was riding on leaf covered mud. I seldom really needed the power valve to open. My seat of the pants dyno was telling me that power was starting to dip a little before the PV started opening. It took the PV a little time to break in and open more smoothly, not that it was ever really all that bad. A complainer would wonder aloud why they use a hex bolt instead of a regular bolt for the PV preload. I imagine I'll be able to adjust the preload easily enough.

What the 325 (woods) kit mostly does is change the total character of the bike. While the 295 kit seems to add a little vibration to the YZ. The 325 kit seems to change the nature of the vibration. Instead of vibrating at the engine and radiating outward, the 325 seems to resonate with the whole bike. The bike seems to work to dampen the overall feel of the vibration. It is an interesting effect. It also changed the nature of the power. It doesn't turn the YZ into a KTM. But it does seem to make a sort of YZ/KTM/Honda mashup. The power at the very bottom is KTM 300 good. Then it pick up in a slow linear fashion to the power valve. Slower than a YZ perhaps. But faster than a KTM, which I consider to be pretty flat. The power valve actuator on the 325 totally replaces the Yamaha set-up. It is adjustable for when it starts to open with a spring preload and the rate it opens is governed by a "jet". I think that ESR ships small jets in the woods cylinders. The valve opens slow and smooth like the servo driven 2002 and up Honda CR250. You notice that the power is increasing. You wouldn't call it a hit. It does a great job of maintaining traction. It takes a while before you start to expect the resulting wheelie and be ready for how fast the thing comes up. I was running a pretty worn tire in muddy conditions and was still pretty surprised from time to time. I was totally reminded of my old CR.

After some time with the 325 I started to call it the geezer pleaser. It makes the bike very easy to ride. The fairly late power valve means that you can ride faster in a given gear in a technical area before the power valve opens. Second gear and the Pro worked together to make the nastiest hills fun. The bike will wheelie third from a walking pace to clear a log.

My ridding buddies said that I was fast on the 325 even though I didn't seem to be working at it very hard. I loaned it to my friend's 17 year old son that doesn't get to ride very often (soccer mom), and he distanced his dad (a good B class rider) for the first time. He tailed me (an enduro A rider) through a pretty slippery area in the rain for quite a while, before he crashed. :)

I decided to keep it. ESR will take back their kit for 30 days. It's an easy bike to ride and I'll be 52 next week. I think some more tuning will make me pretty happy with it.

P.S. The 325 has THE BEST throttle modulation I have ever seen. You can dial in less power than it takes to keep the bike at a constant speed on bumpy level ground and dial on as much as it will put out.

x2- I have a specifically built engine that runs a 325 barrel and head (modified again from ESRs design) on a set of yz cases, this is not a yz, this is a modern version of an RM500e powerplant with touch of overrev.

Nothing about it feels or acts YZ

Edited by projectcxr

Yer I'm looking to build a true Enduro weapon, somthing that as the trail gets harder the bike loves if more, and can be ridden well for the event lengths. I have a long way to go.....

Sounds like a 325 kit would be ideal, although I think due to class restrictions I may have to get the 295.

I won't be getting a reckluse so low end traction is the goal, I am considering a magura hydro kit