2007 KTM 200 XC-W

Good or bad? All of the user review I've read are extremely positive. I'm currently riding a 2004 RM-Z 250 for reference. 

The guy swears the engine is strong, and start easily and immediately. It has nearly 100 hours on the original top end...but he says it still runs strong and has no problems. The guy seems knowledgeable when it comes to bikes. 

Question #1 - What are your thoughts?

Question #2 - Rough value of these bikes?

Question #3 - How would this bike perform at the track? I do a mix of woods and track, so I need a bike that's good for both.

I appreciate any and all input.

Edited by RAGEman

Good or bad? All of the user review I've read are extremely positive. I'm currently riding a 2004 RM-Z 250 for reference.

The guy swears the engine is strong, and start easily and immediately. It has nearly 100 hours on the original top end...but he says it still runs strong and has no problems. The guy seems knowledgeable when it comes to bikes.

Question #1 - What are your thoughts?

Question #2 - Rough value of these bikes?

Question #3 - How would this bike perform at the track? I do a mix of woods and track, so I need a bike that's good for both.

I appreciate any and all input.

1 if you buy the bike the first thing u need to do is change the top end for sure(100hrs are way to many for 1 poston), change transmission oil. in general it is a great bike has low end torque but still runs like a true 2 stroke on top.

2 the price will very on how clean it us and 1 thing i strongly suggest is that you check the air filter before you buy that will give u a idea on the condition of the rest of the bike i say about 1500 to 1700 in good/great shape. (in the south)

3 the bike on the track is not spectacular but as long as the bike is sprung for your weight it will be ok on the track but not very good compared to your rmz.

i hope this helps

1 if you buy the bike the first thing u need to do is change the top end for sure(100hrs are way to many for 1 poston), change transmission oil. in general it is a great bike has low end torque but still runs like a true 2 stroke on top.

2 the price will very on how clean it us and 1 thing i strongly suggest is that you check the air filter before you buy that will give u a idea on the condition of the rest of the bike i say about 1500 to 1700 in good/great shape. (in the south)

3 the bike on the track is not spectacular but as long as the bike is sprung for your weight it will be ok on the track but not very good compared to your rmz.

i hope this helps

#1 - That's kinda my thinking, but again, the guy seems to know his stuff, but is adamant that it hasn't lost a step. I'll factor the top end into the price either way.

#2 - The bike is very clean. He's listed it at $2500.

00v0v_abs0MIejE5i_600x450.jpg

#3 - Thanks! This does help.

My biggest issue here is that the guy isn't local. I'd have to drive a few hours to look at it. Knowing me...if I invest a few hours of driving to look at something, I'm probably not coming home without it. 

Edited by RAGEman

Wow that thing is clean, I'd buy it myself just based on its appearance. But we all know appearances can be deceiving. This bike though looks like it was taken care of. The tires can't have more than a couple rides on them. As far as the top end, I've heard some KTM 2 stroke guys saying they go almost 200 hours before they change their's, others do it every 100 hours on the reg. It all depends on how the bike was/is ridden, from what I gather. 

#1 - That's kinda my thinking, but again, the guy seems to know his stuff, but is adamant that it hasn't lost a step. I'll factor the top end into the price either way.

#2 - The bike is very clean. He's listed it at $2500.

00v0v_abs0MIejE5i_600x450.jpg

#3 - Thanks! This does help.

My biggest issue here is that the guy isn't local. I'd have to drive a few hours to look at it. Knowing me...if I invest a few hours of driving to look at something, I'm probably not coming home without it.

Thats a nice one , cheap too , compared to over here ( down under )

If you offer $2,000 - expect to end up somewhere between the two prices.  Your best case would likely be that you end up at $2,250 if you start at $2,000.  Look up pricing in www.kbb.com/motorcycles and nadaguides.com/motorcycles for your zip code and see what you get.  In Colorado, that bike would sell all day long at the $2500 price.  If it's a bike your interested in, factor in a new top end (done by a dealer or competent motorcycle repair shop) and deduct from his asking price for your offer.

It might go 200 hours, but then again it might go 101 hours before it comes apart.  Unless there is an hour meter on the bike, I would take what the owner says with a grain of salt (im sure the KTM guys can jump in and tell you if it came with an OEM hour meter).

And, I agree with everyone else that it does look clean, but look closely at the details (air filter, sprockets, bottom of skid plate, side of cases, maybe check trans drain bolt for stripping, condition of radiator fluid, are wheels straight/true, any movement side to side on front/rear wheel bearings, check for bent front/rear rotors & scoring on rotors, etc).

It does have an OEM hour meter. 

The problem with me buying this bike is it's out of town.I'd have to drive 4 hours to look at it, and he said he'll meet halfway. So at this point, I'm kinda buying sight unseen. Checking bearings and things of that nature is kinda out. I have to get the best description of the bike from the guy, and trust him to some degree. Obviously, if we meet halfway and it's nothing like he described, I will walk away, but otherwise, it's kinda like buying off ebay.

• 6 years later...
On 10/31/2013 at 11:51 AM, RAGEman said:

It does have an OEM hour meter. 

The problem with me buying this bike is it's out of town.I'd have to drive 4 hours to look at it, and he said he'll meet halfway. So at this point, I'm kinda buying sight unseen. Checking bearings and things of that nature is kinda out. I have to get the best description of the bike from the guy, and trust him to some degree. Obviously, if we meet halfway and it's nothing like he described, I will walk away, but otherwise, it's kinda like buying off ebay.

So, did you get it....? And if so, how has it been treating you for the last 7 years? I’m looking at a 2007 myself and interested in your long term thoughts.