EVO class

What bikes is everyone using to race EVO classes?

Thinking about doing a GP race on a 79' KLX 250.

Just wondering how outclassed I would be... 

Very

In GB EVO you would be up against KX500's and a whole manner of other potent 2 stokes. Unless of course your nick name is 'the junk yard dog'! Check out U tube 'john Dowd KX500 Race - RAW' at Farleigh Castle UK to see what the competition would be!

Good luck

That's crap info. You will race against other drum brake bikes (there are no 2 drum drake kx 500's), and there will likely be a 4 stroke class as well. And John Dowd won't be there either. Race novice class, go out and have fun. We have a 4x9 class in our local club (4 stroke 9 inch travel).

I just did a EVO race a few weeks back and Dowd was actually there.  :lol:  He didn't race EVO but was in the 40A and one other class I believe.

Check out some of the vintage sites like Mark's Swapmeet.  You get some sweet deals there.  One guy recently had a 79 or 80 YZ250 for sale with enough parts for about 2-3 other bikes.  The one complete bike needed a total rebuild.  But everything was like $750.  

What bikes is everyone using to race EVO classes?

Thinking about doing a GP race on a 79' KLX 250.

Just wondering how outclassed I would be...

Bring your KLX out for several events and decide where your at with bike interest. You might find the 1974 and earlier bikes interesting. There are plenty of nice longer travel bikes for sale on the Internet for great prices. The sellers probably have more money in them compared to the asking price. Suzuki RM Full Floaters 81 to 84' would be a good choice. YZ's would be good too. Anything european is good but is more maintenance and more $.

I did race the klx and I was pretty outclassed, but I'm pretty sure it had to do more with my riding and there was only like one other evo bike there. Got a lot of interesting looks from people though.

On a side note my cousins picked up a one owner 83' yz125 and rode it this weekend and said it was a blast. He's now interested in vintage stuff

I did race the klx and I was pretty outclassed, but I'm pretty sure it had to do more with my riding and there was only like one other evo bike there. Got a lot of interesting looks from people though.

On a side note my cousins picked up a one owner 83' yz125 and rode it this weekend and said it was a blast. He's now interested in vintage stuff

That's cool. I wish we had a vintage class here. I didn't know what your bike was so I had to check it out. It actually looks like a fun bike. I'd never seen one before.

Kawasaki_klx250.jpg

Vintage racing isn't just about racing, it's about tuning your bike and hoping nothing breaks.

It is a fun bike, pretty under powered compared to today's bikes. It's been crazy reliable though. My dad bought it new rode the hell out of it and I been riding it off and on for about 15 years. One time it sat in the garage for 7 years without moving or running and it started on the second kick, with old gas and everything.

I was refering to EVO in Uk where about '83 to '89 is the norm. May be different in US

Pre 83 to about 77ish comes under twinshock here. However it is all about having a goog day out and I would say rider capability is the driver at club level.

EVO here is becoming more popular in the Uk as twinshock bikes are becoming a very expensive commodity. My earlier ref to 'your' John Dowd was not meant to be serious I was just blown away by how quick he can that big KX go !!

If you guys have lots of Twinshock bikes hiding somewhere youre onto a winner !!

I was refering to EVO in Uk where about '83 to '89 is the norm. May be different in US

Pre 83 to about 77ish comes under twinshock here. However it is all about having a goog day out and I would say rider capability is the driver at club level.

EVO here is becoming more popular in the Uk as twinshock bikes are becoming a very expensive commodity. My earlier ref to 'your' John Dowd was not meant to be serious I was just blown away by how quick he can that big KX go !!

If you guys have lots of Twinshock bikes hiding somewhere youre onto a winner !!

Lots are dumped as people just think they aren't worth anything anymore. Of all people I was sick when I went to my Dad's house day before yesterday. He had just thrown out a bunch of my original 82' 430xc husky plastic and other parts. We did find some other parts still intact though. When I told him I just bought an 82 430 cr he said "You're crazy... just buy a new bike "... and he's a motorhead and a hard core motorcycle man . I told him that parts were available and there was a vintage scene  . I didn't even know to what extent was available until I started investigating just a few days ago. 

If you have access to twinshock bikes parts etc just check out ebay uk !! Most twinshok dirt and now the retro road bikes are a better investment than any bank !!! Even the 50cc Mopeds like FS1E and mad prices over here £2000 - £3000 whats that $4500 ....

"EVO" Here in the N.W.  means drum brakes, and no linkage. The  Yamaha monoshock being  the exception.

I just did a EVO race a few weeks back and Dowd was actually there.   :lol:  He didn't race EVO but was in the 40A and one other class I believe.

Check out some of the vintage sites like Mark's Swapmeet.  You get some sweet deals there.  One guy recently had a 79 or 80 YZ250 for sale with enough parts for about 2-3 other bikes.  The one complete bike needed a total rebuild.  But everything was like $750.  

That's funny right there. I stand corrected.