Sign in to follow this  

what size carb upgrade should I go with for a kx65?

ok you guys are about to hate me ehre but i will tell you anyway, we picked up a 2002 kx65 and will be swapping it into a mini-quad ATV for my son who races. We can no longe rbe competative with the 4-stroekd in his class, so we are moving to the 2-stroked engiens and the KX65 seemed to be the best one out there for this per several racers.So what carb should we be looking to use on this bike? It is 100% stock right now, so i am not even sure what it has. I was thinking maybe a 30mm? I have a 30mm mikuni new sitting around I could try, but did not want to touch it till i talked to someone first. it is a round slide for a 4-stroke but I can get it for a 2-stroke.

Anyway, thanks for your time and help.

Mike

any thoughts or ideas?

i will be looking at getting a wiseco piston with phatheads head and different read setup so it shoudl run really nice, then will look at having a fatty pipe modified to fit the ATV frame for perfect all around performance.

Leave the carb alone other than jetting. The 65 carb is more than suffice to support any hp that engine can push. I have friends that have their kids on some wicked-ass 65's and the stock carb is still used.

I know finish line engines has a really nice port configuration for that cylinder.  You could have the carb. swirl bored and the cylinder ported with a few other bolt on's and it will be fast.

You should have got a hold of FirePower minis. He could have built you an bad azz engine for that quad. Terry knows his way around the horizontal thumpers very well.

Post us a picture of your setup. No haters here....

well i have not done anyhting to the engine yet.Glad to hear no haters :)

i have been trying to seal some plans. i was thinking of using a hotrods bottem end assembly as well with the wiseco piston setup. yea i was going to have the cylinder ported too. We have a sponsorship with hotrods and cylinder works, so my thoguth was to have them sleeve it for a .040 larger piston to maek it a true 70cc since we are tunning the 70cc class, then have it ported and rest of the work discussed.

what do you guys think? i don't mind doing my own build work as i have build tons of motors in my time, but i just don't have machining work capabilities so i have to send it out to get done other places.

ok so just use stock carb. cool, thanks!

i was going to use boisen reed setup as well with the setup and looking at doing a 14:1 compession setup. What do you guys think?

Edited by oscarmayer

here are photos of the bike and my son in one of them.

the first photo os of his bike being torn down right from the craight. it enver got assembled. i torn it down to the frame, modifid the frame, gussetted it, then reassembled stuff my way and upgraded nearly everything.

new-raped.JPG

pops.JPG

PnH.JPG

Edited by oscarmayer

You should check out http://www.firepowerminis.net/...I tell you that dude makes insane builds from the clones and the real honda blocks. The daytona engines are pretty good out of the box. I have seen him build some over 235cc with the 4v DOHC screamers

.........KX65 is a smoker.

yes but the quad came with a clone 4 stroke...Terry could make him the leader of the pack with it.

Ahhh. It all makes sense now.

the problem I have with the class is it is limited to 114cc 4-stroke. so no mater what you do to a 114cc 4-stroke it will not keep up with a 70cc 2-stroke, let alone one that is has been moded.

that's guys, the first step is to get it just installed and running in the quad. from there, who knows.

The Team Green kids used stroker motors and reduced the bore on their mx bikes (for 65cc). I'd suggest a Cooksey stroker crank to get you to 70cc. And a TDC 2 Stroke Performance setup with head mods and porting.