Sign in to follow this  

05 300 EXC Refurbish project

I have this posted on KTMTalk but figure I would put it here as well for those of you that are interested. I started it Aug. 3rd

Decided to do a full teardown and refurbish of my 05 300EXC. Just did a top end a few months ago so the motor will be left alone.

Re-lacing some wheels, chassis service, plastics and bunch of new parts. This will be a miniature version of Supertrunks refurb. 

file_zpsa129bf1b.jpg

So here is the next part of the Refurbish:

I had me a hell of a project going today. Decided to replace the POS bent/cracked Excel rims with some new ones. Do yourself a favor and re-lace your own rims. It's not hard at all! This is the first time I ever tackled it and it was a blast. 
file_zps1318fd17.jpg

No instructions or references (just watched a few videos). It's pretty much impossible to lace them wrong as long as you get that first hole lined up. I did it 9 spokes at a time. Don't forget the Never-Seez on the spokes.
file_zpsa387f5ff.jpg

file_zps306e0706.jpg
All laced up
file_zpsc2600d9b.jpg

Slap it on my cheap Park Truing stand true it up. One more wheel and the stand pays for itself. It's actually very relaxing and therapeutic. I have it within a few mm true/round.
file_zpscc2df6ac.jpg
In addition to this I'm on a mission with my "Mad Scientist" lowering project. I figure between the XBushing, KTM Factory low seat, and these tires I should be good for 2" or so. TheTires are the new Geomax AT81 90/90 front and 110/90 Desert rear. I will be running them with the Tubliss system.

• Like 1

So the project is going kind of slow due to work schedule. I finished up lacing/truing the rims today and have started the lowering process.  The low profile 110/90-18 Geomax AT81 Desert was a knuckle buster to mount!!

file_zps6d716670.jpg

I went old school and carefully filed off 2mm of material from the shock for the XBushing.

file_zps05c71a87.jpg

file_zpsa4d609f4.jpg

The KTM factory "Low" seat is very cool and quite a bit lower than stock. These are getting hard to come by.

file_zps28250541.jpg

And some various goodies to install.

file_zpsbb05fb73.jpg

What I'm trying to figure out now is what gearing to use. I have been running a 13/52 for everything. With the new low tire I'm thinking of going up to a 14 in the front and see how that does.

So my next thing I'm debating about doing is a carb rebuild. It ran fine when I started this project. But I'm thinking that a new float needle, gaskets, and "O" rings would not hurt. 

Here is the kit:

file_zpse7ef7145.jpg

Edit, This kit will not work on a KTM carb. Had to order locally through Sudco. KTM 2t carbs are different than the standard PWK carb. The top is square and requires a different gasket.

Edited by ballisticexchris

Well, here we go. Steam cleaned and ready for grease and reassembly:

file_zps9ea55747.jpg

file_zpsec88a2df.jpg

file_zps37f5be4b.jpg

One thing I learned disassembling this beast is to be careful who you listen to when it comes to Locktite. DO NOT use Locktight on small bolts (with allen head fasteners )holding the swing arm slider, fenders, or much of anything that has steel going into aluminum. Almost all of the bolts were very hard to remove. The reassembly will be getting much more safety wire and Never Seeze instead. FWIW I have never lost a bolt/nut using Never Seeze.

Boy, this project is going slow! Between the 60+ hour workweeks and riding my Beta, there has been little time for assembly. No more riding until it's finished. So between yesterday and today I got a little more done.

The "X" bushing was a real PITA and time consuming to get it installed. LOTS of grinding, die grinder, and filing to get the fit just right. It went really slow. I was nervous about taking material off the shock ear and die grinding a radius in the swing arm without weakening it. I will say the instructions are pretty darn good and the support from the owner is the best!

In the end, it came out very nice. This modification is not the average do it yourself project. I'm starting out with it in the lowest position.

file_zps67eee152.jpg

I raised the forks 15mm as a starting point to match the rear. I was going to go 20mm but decided to go in baby steps and see how she handles. Please note the safety wire on steering head cap. I look at the Pro Racer bikes and safety wire the same stuff they do.

file_zpsee376a0b.jpg

New Hammerhead Designs shifter 10mm offset and rubber tip. I even bought the cool little bolt with a pre drilled safety wire hole. All new TM Designs sliders and guides.

The bike is getting there. I would never make it as a mechanic. I double and sometimes triple check everything I bolt on. 

file_zpsbbf3f83f.jpg

otobucket.com/user/ballisticexchris/media/file_zps22f09cc1.jpg.html]file_zps22f09cc1.jpg[/url]

Next week is my three day off. I'm hoping to finish it up by then.

So here it is as of today. A rolling chassis finally!!

file_zps48120b19.jpg

file_zpse4cffb87.jpg

Lots of safety wire. I would not like to lose a bake pad pin on the trail. IMO a very poor design from KTM. 

file_zpsadbc09fd.jpg

file_zpscdb84446.jpg

Acerbis front rotor protecter. To be honest, it seems to be very flimsy. It will do the job as a brush protector. It was cheap (under 50 bucks) and looks cool.

file_zps453929f7.jpg

I'm not much for bar risers, but it was a lot cheaper than a sub mount. I settled for 10mm spacers. 28mm of damper pin in the tower for safety.

file_zpsfcd44dbb.jpg

file_zps0604a3a8.jpg

New chain and OOPS!! I accidentally put the stock sprocket on!! I have been running a 13/52 for years. It kind of sucks because with the 13/50 and the 114 link chain, I'm pretty much stuck with this gearing. It will be interesting to see how this bike handles with the wheel so far forward.

file_zps48120b19.jpg

file_zps4ceac65c.jpg

What a nightmare of a project! It's now turned into a money pit! I'm going to be about 3000 bucks into this bike for the rebuild. Needless to say I won't be selling it anytime soon. 

Apparently, with the X-Bushing installed, it throws everything off. Chain adjustment, sag and who knows what else.  I had to step away from it yesterday and do a short 70 mile dual sport loop to clear my head.

To top it all off, I lost the nitrogen charge in my shock and it's ending up costing me over 300 bucks to get my shock rebuilt. I saw it on my suspension guys work bench all torn down and every part is beat to crap. 

In the end of it all still cheaper than a new bike. Just a lot more work involved than I expected. When you work full time (60+ hours a week), it's really hard to get these projects finished in a timely manner.

• Like 1

So after this project is finished, my wife suggested that I add up all the costs, including the top end I did, categorize them and I will post the results here for those of you that are thinking of doing this kind of project.

• Like 1

Great pics and it's awesome how you showed so much step by step pieces of the process. Thanks for sharing!!! It looks awesome and first class. I've decided to just keep my gasgas 300 and my cr for now.. so your project is interesting to see. I have collected a bunch of stuff so far for both and I will be doing some similar work.. I have spokes for the gasgas for instance . ...Later on I will look for a Beta 300 with electric start ...Until then I'm riding and will continue with what I have.. but upgraded.. I'm not going as far as you.. maybe a grand or so between both bikes but they both have a bunch of goodies on it already. .But you have shown that you plan on spending so much and go above that. Now that I think of it a set of radiators, suspension servicing and a big tank is a grand without blinking. So I'll be paying more.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Hey I just realized.. Does your axle pull on your ktm fit on your Beta?.. just wondering. I was liking the msr one and they don't have a listing for Beta.. I don't like red that can scratch off the beta has for sale plus it would probably be cheaper. I bought some msr metal color for my cr. I have to go and check if it fits the Beta too.. I was thinking maybe the ktm might fit .... The cr msr axle pull just came in the mail.

Hey I just realized.. Does your axle pull on your ktm fit on your Beta?.. just wondering. I was liking the msr one and they don't have a listing for Beta.. I don't like red that can scratch off the beta has for sale plus it would probably be cheaper. I bought some msr metal color for my cr. I have to go and check if it fits the Beta too.. I was thinking maybe the ktm might fit .... The cr msr axle pull just came in the mail.

Shit man, sorry I didn't think of checking. My red pulls on the Beta already getting beat up. This project is pretty hectic. Hopefully finish in the next few weeks. The screwed up shock was a unexpected set back. I have all the parts to finish minus the shock thats in for repair.

Shit man, sorry I didn't think of checking. My red pulls on the Beta already getting beat up. This project is pretty hectic. Hopefully finish in the next few weeks. The screwed up shock was a unexpected set back. I have all the parts to finish minus the shock thats in for repair.

Bummer that your shock had to be done but sometimes it's just better for someone else to do some stuff. I'm with you.. I'd suck as a fulltime mechanic.  I'm getting more and more lazy to do maintenance stuff too. The axle pulls aren't a big deal at all. It's just something that I saw that might be added to the crossreference list. I hate changing tires too.. I did get some good tire tools to make it easier the next time though.

Bummer that your shock had to be done but sometimes it's just better for someone else to do some stuff. I'm with you.. I'd suck as a fulltime mechanic.  I'm getting more and more lazy to do maintenance stuff too. The axle pulls aren't a big deal at all. It's just something that I saw that might be added to the crossreference list. I hate changing tires too.. I did get some good tire tools to make it easier the next time though.

I really wanted to just replace the schrader valve. But Nick (Pro Valve Suspension) will not do anything half ass. I was scolded and neutered before I left his shop for what I did to the shock. For anyone thinking of doing the X-Bushing, you might want to think twice before tackling it. My little file job on the clevis just about destroyed the shock. 

Thankfully, I have a good relationship with Nick and he is taking care of me. At a cost....

I really wanted to just replace the schrader valve. But Nick (Pro Valve Suspension) will not do anything half ass. I was scolded and neutered before I left his shop for what I did to the shock. For anyone thinking of doing the X-Bushing, you might want to think twice before tackling it. My little file job on the clevis just about destroyed the shock.

Thankfully, I have a good relationship with Nick and he is taking care of me. At a cost....

Give you kudos for coming here and letting people know the mistake you made filing the shock. Most wouldn't say a word and some poor soul would take it for proper procedure and mimic the method you used.

That's part of doing your own work. We all make mistakes at times. And they always come at a price to correct. So maybe it was a blessing that you had to take the shock in. Had you just bolted it up and ran it who knows what could have went wrong.

My last big screw up was when I flushed the clutch MC on my 450. I swapped out the MC cover for a pretty orange one months prior. See where this is going yet?? What did I go and do? Flushed it with Magura Blood. If I had left the stock cap on there it clearly says DOT 4. 125$ in new parts later I had a working clutch again.

Live and learn! Glad to hear your getting it all sorted out.

I did a similar refurbish to my 07 300 last year. I broke the foot peg on the frame. I ended up tearing the bike down to the frame so I could take it to work and weld it back together. At that point, I did a topend, sent the shock to Dicks Racing, regreased and replaced anything that need it. It's a little bit of a sticker shock after that project.

The bike felt way better and it was worth the time and money.

Thanks for the post.

Great pics and it's awesome how you showed so much step by step pieces of the process. Thanks for sharing!!! It looks awesome and first class. I've decided to just keep my gasgas 300 and my cr for now.. so your project is interesting to see. I have collected a bunch of stuff so far for both and I will be doing some similar work.. I have spokes for the gasgas for instance . ...Later on I will look for a Beta 300 with electric start ...Until then I'm riding and will continue with what I have.. but upgraded.. I'm not going as far as you.. maybe a grand or so between both bikes but they both have a bunch of goodies on it already. .But you have shown that you plan on spending so much and go above that. Now that I think of it a set of radiators, suspension servicing and a big tank is a grand without blinking. So I'll be paying more.

No sweat guys. The issue with the X-Bushing modification is right here:

file_zps05c71a87.jpg

I took 2mm off as stated in the instructions. The problem is now I don't have full adjustment of the rebound clicker. If you go too many clicks  in or out, the inner cones at each end of the clicker shaft push out the rubber plug. I'm lucky enough that Nick had my suspension dialed in near perfect from way back in 2006 when it was first done. I only need 3 clicks in either direction for any riding condition.

I would not recommend this modification for the average guy. Better to get the suspension lowered internally IMO. 

Another thing I will have to deal with is the rate of the spring. It remains to be seen how much this modification throws it off. I'm having quite a bit of remorse doing this. I tried to take the "cheap" way to lower my bike and it ended up emptying out my wallet.

100.00 modification ended of costing me well over 400 bucks when the dust setteled. I don't give a shit what anyone says about how easy it is. IT IS NOT!! I used to fabricate for a living and this was an extensive, time consuming modification that leaves no room for error. You can do costly, irreversible damage to the swingarm and shock with just a few swipes of the file.

I was getting ready to ask "how much" but seen the "3000" and now I won't be doing a rebuild... Better off replacing the parts I need, rather the one that still work.

can't wait to see the end.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Give you kudos for coming here and letting people know the mistake you made filing the shock. Most wouldn't say a word and some poor soul would take it for proper procedure and mimic the method you used.

That's part of doing your own work. We all make mistakes at times. And they always come at a price to correct. So maybe it was a blessing that you had to take the shock in. Had you just bolted it up and ran it who knows what could have went wrong.

My last big screw up was when I flushed the clutch MC on my 450. I swapped out the MC cover for a pretty orange one months prior. See where this is going yet?? What did I go and do? Flushed it with Magura Blood. If I had left the stock cap on there it clearly says DOT 4. 125$ in new parts later I had a working clutch again.

Live and learn! Glad to hear your getting it all sorted out.

I was re-reading your post and want to thank you. I don't feel so bad now. It's just all these "two steps forward and ten steps back" that's driving me nuts. Hopefully I can get a little more done tomorrow and post some more pics. Still waiting on my shock. Not Nicks fault. He had to order some out of the ordinary OEM WP shock parts.

I have a few springs to play with. I'm hoping to get somewhere near 110-120mm race and 25-40mm free sag with the PDS springs I have on hand.

I would feel terrible if someone here did what I did and screwed up a shock. At 52 years old I'm finding out how little I really know. Why can't I be 20 again and know everything? LOL

Ahhh to be 20 again and have the world by the short hairs! ;-) Good to see the project getting back on track. Just keep in mind its a KTM 300, one of the best damn bikes ever produced! The end result will pay its dividends on the fun meter.