Sign in to follow this  

Dirt bike title issues, any ideas?

Hey y'all, I recently purchased a 98 YZ125, that I've been working on, ridding, working on some more, lol. It ready now for some serious ridding, and my a buddy wan to go up to the Ocala (FL) trails, and I need my bike titled. So I went to the tax collectors office, thinking it was gona be a simple thing, and I guess I need a title to have it re-titled, I guess it sort of makes sense. But the bike was never titles, and has had several owners since 98, I went to the dude that sold it to me, and he couldn't remember the guy he bought it from.

VIN is clean, as of the internet vin checker, not stolen or anything, so the bike is clean. Tax collector said I need to go to court and have a judge issue me a title, this seems like such a cumbersome and possibly expensive process just to title a freaking dirt bike.

Any ideas or suggestions, loopholes or way around this that anyone had any experience on this? Any attorneys in the forum that can shed some light?

Tnx in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Megaloopy

Are you sure it needs to be titled? I could understand needing an ORV registration, for which some states dont require any paperwork, like MA for example.

Yeah, I called the park and they said I need a registration sticker on my bike, which can only be obtained through having a title on the bike. And went to the tax collectors office, called Tallahassee, and the park, everyone confirms that the only way to get the registration done is with title on hand, so... I'm in a pickle, I mean is cool I can ride a few places locally, but there a bunch of parks that require registration sticker BS.

Looking for a frame on ebay and CL that has a title, I can move everything over to the new frame, crap, just realized, I wonder if that's legal too, lol.

Well, unless it has to be a FL registration (which I doubt), you can write to MA dmv and obtain an off road reg. You dont even need to live there, or show paperwork.

• Like 1

Go to a title service and see what they an do for you. You can do everything yourself, but not knowing what hoops you have to jump through can be frustrating. Dealing with the DMV in Florida can be a pain in the rear. 

• Like 1

Well, unless it has to be a FL registration (which I doubt), you can write to MA dmv and obtain an off road reg. You dont even need to live there, or show paperwork.

no $h!t seriously? wow gona look into this once I've exhausted all my options here in FL

Go to a title service and see what they an do for you. You can do everything yourself, but not knowing what hoops you have to jump through can be frustrating. Dealing with the DMV in Florida can be a pain in the rear. 

Title Service? as in for homes and property? Yeah Florida is a royal pain, and now that all is handled by the Tax Collectors Office, and these guys really don't wanna be there or help, the guy today was a total tool.

Talked to a friend of mine tonight, that has a hook at the TCO, he's gona see what he can find out. I had a hookup some years back, she helped me title a 72 Ford F-250 that I bought to mud with, but ended up doing so much work to it, that I wanted to drive it on the road and I didn't have a title for it, but my hook up is gone :(

I'll keep thethread alive with recent info once I find out more about it.

Thanks guys for the replies, if anyone has any other ideas, keep it comming.

Bonded title is the way to go. Just contact a local insurance agent and they should be able to fix you up. Not the chain outfits but a local owned outfit. Google "bonded title" for a better explanation.

• Like 1

I just sold a bike to a guy and canada, i'm in michigan and he needed a title to get it across the border. I filled out a form for a lost title and after they checked the vin number I had a title in my mailbox 7 days later.

Guessing its not that easy in florida...

• Like 1

Yes go for a lost title google florida lost title. BTW I live in lake county Ocala forest is my backyard. Things have changed a lot and NOT for the good! Here is things to remember.

1 Must have Spark Arrestor They do check!

2 Ocala has 3 maybe 4 trail systems that is marked for say Jeeps, ATVs, Motorcycles. Bikes can ride on all of them. DO NOT get caught off the trail! DO NOT make new trail! DO NOT get on numbered road unless you are street legal with tag! You have to park you truck at trailhead and you have to pay for that. Also you have to pay for a day permit or can buy a year permit.

3 Be CAREFULL!! you have Jeeps, ATVs, Bikes going both directions headons are common! And there is a 25mph speed limit!

Thats why FTR is so big now its no fun in forest anymore! Not like good old days where I could go anywhere with old tag duct taped to fender of my CR500!

I just sold a bike to a guy and canada, i'm in michigan and he needed a title to get it across the border. I filled out a form for a lost title and after they checked the vin number I had a title in my mailbox 7 days later.

Guessing its not that easy in florida...

Yeah not for what I was told at the TCO yesterday.

Yes go for a lost title google florida lost title. BTW I live in lake county Ocala forest is my backyard. Things have changed a lot and NOT for the good! Here is things to remember.

1 Must have Spark Arrestor They do check!

2 Ocala has 3 maybe 4 trail systems that is marked for say Jeeps, ATVs, Motorcycles. Bikes can ride on all of them. DO NOT get caught off the trail! DO NOT make new trail! DO NOT get on numbered road unless you are street legal with tag! You have to park you truck at trailhead and you have to pay for that. Also you have to pay for a day permit or can buy a year permit.

3 Be CAREFULL!! you have Jeeps, ATVs, Bikes going both directions headons are common! And there is a 25mph speed limit!

Thats why FTR is so big now its no fun in forest anymore! Not like good old days where I could go anywhere with old tag duct taped to fender of my CR500!

I was reading about a lost title, but I didn't think it applied to me, since I didn't loose it, I just never had one, and I can't imagine them sending me a replacement title or MSO when the last owner clearly isn't me.I imagine this works if the bike at some point was titled to me, and the thing is, for what I understand, my bike is a 98, so they weren't even require to title.

That's cool tnx for the info on Ocala, that's too bad it's not how it used to be, my buddy has been raving about going up there and I'm so stoked to hit it. I know the feeling, I grew up here in WPB and my dad used to takes us out west, where now there an entire city there (Wellington, lol) and we used to go tear shit up, I gave up dirt biking for surfing, and now that I'm getting back into it, EVERYTHING has changed not only the landscape but all these BS regulations and laws and crap. Oh well, you adapt right? lol. All good tips tnx brother. I'm getting back into it, so I'm a grandma trail rider ;) But will definitely keep an eye out for other vehicles.

My friend told me about FTR, but just by visiting their site, I don't see the benefit of joining.

Thanks all, really, for your suggestions and help. I'm gona keep digging, and I'll post my findings or solutions. And by all means please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

As you figured out already, to file for a lost title, the title has to be in your name to begin with. I left Florida in '06, best thing I ever did, and there used to be title companies that would take care of your car titling and registration needs for a fee to save you the time of waiting in that god awful DMV line and then to be treated like a piece of crap when you had a question.

lol, that's what I keep hearing from friends that leave this "wonderful" state. I just called a titling company and although they don't handle dirt bikes, she was incredibly helpful, I wished we worked at the TCO, lol.

Back to TCO, calling now see what kind of info I can get, and probably good news, Finally! (I think), I'll let you all know, but supposedly all I have to do is come in with my BOS and DL, which I did yesterday, and they will issue me a title and register the darn thing.

I'll keep you all posted.

Go ride at Croom instead.  You just have to put your VIN on the sticker from.  They don't need to see a title.  Besides, Croom is much better.  No BEARS!!!!!

• Like 1

Go ride at Croom instead.  You just have to put your VIN on the sticker from.  They don't need to see a title.  Besides, Croom is much better.  No BEARS!!!!!

Doesn't Croom ask for proof of  title now?

From http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Florida-Forest-Service/Recreation/Off-Highway-Vehicle-Recreation-on-State-Forests-in-Florida

"Any OHVs operating on public lands must be titled, as required under Ch. 317, F.S., through the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. To secure an OHV permit an applicant must have proof of title. OHVs from out of state may be exempt from this requirement, provided the state of origin does not require titling and/or registration of OHVs."

I heard Croom rumor about green sticker too.  I called them just now and it is NOT required.  He said title "or bill of sale" required. BUT - that is what they always said for years and did not enforce it.  I asked him, and he seemed to indicate it was not strictly enforced.   

Just have your VIN written down ahead of time and say you are renewing. 

OK dudes and dudettes, I got my biatch titled today (YES!), it was sort of a pain, mainly cause I went back and forth a bunch of times to the TCO with the wrong forms, and had to email the forms to the seller cause they WILL NOT TAKE DIGITAL signatures (he's in another city). But here's the scoop and what you need to have ready so that you don't waste as much time as I did, again this is in Palm Beach County in the state of Florida, and this was my experience, this is not a guaranteed workflow, but for what I can tell from talking to the counter ladies, this is it:

- Bill of sale: not just something signed by the seller and buyer, they want they're official one (http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/btr/82050.pdf) Original signatures only, you can fill the form in the computer so that VIN and info is clear, then printed and have the seller sign it. White outs aren't allowed either, so make sure EVERYTHING is perfect here, specially the VIN. Side note: VINs are 17 characters, so MAKE SURE you get it right.

- Affidavit signed by the buyer (https://www.pbctax.com/sites/default/files/pdf/PBCTC_138.pdf) They told me that the seller needed to sign it, even though it says purchaser at the bottom signature, but I had him sign it anyways. Check boxes 1 (this vehicle will not be operated in FL highway ...) and the last box, and after you've checked with a title company or are absolutely positive that the bike has not been titled in the state of FL or any other state, type: TO MY KNOWLEDGE THIS VEHICLE HAS NEVER BEEN TITLED IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA OR ANY OTHER STATE IN THE UNITED STATES. Date and Signed and voila!

There are a couple of other forms they'll make you sign once you get there, mainly to title the bike.

MAKE SURE everything is in order, and before you go waste your time, you check that the vin is clean (I had a cop run mine) and had a title company run the vin for leans or pre existing title, if the bike already has a title, well you need to contact Tallahassee directly, so they can send a letter to the last title registered owner for transfer, but if the bike has never been titled, then your're in luck, I hope. they do and will check the vin make sure is good.

I may just open a business doing this, lol. It wasn't that complicated once everything is in order, just gotta make sure EVERYTHING is in order.

Good luck, and hope this info helps.

Edited by Megaloopy
  • Like 1