Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Do you ride alone?

I received the TT newsletter yesterday that contained a video of a girl who was riding alone on a quad and got her leg wedged between the footpeg and tire. A discussion ensued about the dangers of riding alone. We all know the dangers of riding and how they are multiplied if we choose to venture out alone. But aside from the obvious scenario where you are thrown from your bike and are stuck wedged between a rock and a tree with a broken hip, are we really any less safe when solo?

I work nights at a cabinet/furniture shop, alone, and I was thinking about this subject at length last night. How is working around jointers, planers, table saws, etc..., any more or less dangerous than riding alone? Then it happened - I stuffed a handful of carrots into my mouth and proceeded to nearly choke to death on one. While I was gasping for air and unsuccessfully trying to give myself the Heimlich, I was thinking, "Wow. After my tens-of-thousands of solo dirt bike and street bike miles and endless sleep-deprived hours alone in a cabinet shop, is this really how I am going to go?" 

90% of the time I ride, I am alone; mainly by choice. I have found that my solo trips are safer than any of my paired or group rides. I go at my own pace: stop when I want, go fast when I feel alert, slow down when I don't. I know flying solo is the cardinal sin of this sport, but if you are diligent and (physically and mentally) prepared, is it really any more dangerous than... life in general? 

Thoughts?

Do you ride alone?

• Like 7

Yes, I ride alone, for various reasons depending on the day, either no one else is around the ride with, its a spur of the moment decision to go up to the local area or just plain don't want to be around anybody.

I have thought about this a lot lately too since we lost a fellow rider up at our local area, Jones Creek. He was riding with a group of riders, ended up in the back and crashed and didn't make it out. So even though he was with a group of riders, someone has always gotta be in the back, so it did little to help except that he was found sooner than maybe he would have been if alone. With that, I would have to say that sometimes even a group of people with you can't always save you, and riding with them or behind them may even push you beyond your limit causing you to wreck just trying to keep up.

I question whether riding with the group or alone is safer or not, when I ride alone I go my own pace and I'm not feeling as if I'm holding anybody up or pushing someone beyond their abilities, I also tend to gear up a little more when I ride alone, and always leave the info behind on where you'll be going and when you should be back, just in case.

Riding can be dangerous, period, whether you're alone or with a group of 20 or more riders, and there's only one way to guarantee that "the last crash" never happens to you......sell off your bike and go buy yourself a rocking chair.

As for me, I'm a rogue rider for life, win or loose, it's what I love to do.

• Like 2

As for me, I'm a rogue rider for life, win or loose, it's what I love to do.

The next forum I sign up on, RogueRider is going to be my screen name!

I usually ride with groups for comraderie and safety.  About 2 years ago I went out by myself and did about 50 miles on a nice spring day.  It was kind of shocking how much I enjoyed that.  Go at your own pace, no stopping unless you want to, no looking back to see if others are still following, just go whatever route you want without discussion.  Kind of "clear out the cobwebs".  If you are prepared for emergencies, leave a detailed route map with someone, have electronic aids (GPS, phone)  and don't take stupid risks (bad weather, excess speed) I think you can be almost as safe as with a group.  Of course, if you get seriously injured and bleeding badly, you'd wish you were with a group for sure.   

I ride alone most of the time.  As of late I have been reconsidering always going out alone.  Maybe it is the recent events or I am getting older and less invincible...

agreed

and the spot gen 3 activates when you start moving

I ride solo but with a phone a means of self protection and soon a spot gen3 

I choose to look at my spot more as a "body locator" than a "rescue device", but the tracking option does give my loved ones great piece of mind.

image.jpg

• Like 1

maybe  but at least We will die  without someone irritating us   LOL

I just watched an Alaska state trooper and a Spot beacon saved 2 boaters  who flipped a boat and would have been screwed without help

Edited by Zimman

I choose to look at my spot more as a "body locator" than a "rescue device", but the tracking option does give my loved ones great piece of mind.

Tracking???  Awww man, my wife would try to get me to wear that 24/7!

• Like 6

I ride alone quite often for the same reasons mentioned before, I tend to ride safer when alone, my speeds are  reduced, my trail selection tends towards the calmer side of gnarly. I find I feel more aggressive when riding with others, a little more willing to take more of a chance on speed or trail difficulty, guess I feel safer because I have numbers on my side.

I'm an older rider and all I know is that I refuse to sit on the couch and wait for the grim reaper to come get me, if he wants to claim me it's going to be on my terms and he damn well better be a rider 'cuz that's where I spend most of my time.

• Like 6

In the last year I have not ridden solo much, but historically I have. I want to point out one of the very real dangers that will happen to everyone who rides alone: you get slow. If you want to be involved with racing, it's a good plan to ride with others to keep pushing your abilities and to get faster. Not planning on racing? This will happen to you, but you won't care.  :ride:

• Like 1

I probably ride alone  %80 percent of the time.  Most injuries to my body have been riding with other people and getting  "caught up in the moment" to either stay ahead or catch up.  

I have always enjoyed riding alone but will be looking for partners when I attack the Teanaway  I'm not that dumb.........

I ride alone most all the time and actually prefer it that way. Not a big fan of trying to keep up with a better rider and exhausting myself or having to wait for a rider who is not up to my skill level and therefore not getting the miles I like. That being said it does get a bit scary riding by myself at times and I do worry about getting hurt. I make sure I have cell coverage as much as possible when I'm out and carry a SPOT satellite transmitter for that worst case scenario (well not worst case obviously) as well as basic survival gear. Went riding last night for the 1st time with my new helmet light and I must admit to being a bit freaked out at times for

1-being alone,

2-riding at night,

3-riding extreme single track alone and at night and

4-I could have sworn I rode right past freekin BIG FOOT.....Not cool, have to admit I rode back with a bit faster pace than I should have LOL

• Like 3

I no longer ride singletrack alone, since crashing on a mountain trail and having to walk several miles out because my bike was on such a slope that I couldn't get it back on the trail by myself...felt fortunate to not be hurt, and had plenty of time to think it through both on my way out and while making my way back in with help...of course I'm far too old and creaky to be doing this in the first place :rolleyes: 

• Like 4

Yep, most of the time. I don't see riding alone as any more dangerous than my frequent backcountry trips to photograph mountain goats, hunting...whatever. I assume the risks every time I leave the relative safety of my yard. I do however, leave a detailed account of where I'll be(including maps...marked of course). I leave these with a trusted friend(not the wife). My trusted friend is as familiar with the backcountry I inhabit, as I am...cuts way down on search time, should the need arise. I pack more survival crap than most, so I'm quite comfortable with the occasional...oops! Gotta spend the night scenario(BTW hasn't happend in a couple of years). I just send out the "I am ok" signal via SPOT.

I am alone 98% of the time, as those I would normally ride with have little kids and wives who are not into the trail-riding thing.  Normally I head out on my WR250R and putter around in the national forests and other public lands.  I did have a crash a few years ago where I ended up in a ditch that was about 15 feet deep, upside-down with my trusty Yamaha pinning me down.  Luckily, there was no water or big rocks or anything else to cause damage on the way to the bottom.  Unfortunately I hyper-extended my right elbow in the crash and had to get the bike righted and out of the ditch one-armed.  The ride home to the ER was especially painful (luckily I live a block away from my local ER).

If I had been with someone that day, I still would have wrecked, but having some assistance getting righted and home would have been a huge help.

I ride alone occasionally, but I definitely throttle back a notch and tend to stay a lot closer to the trailhead.  It is fun to go it alone sometimes.  Clearly in comparison I'm not as prepared as I probably should be, and don't usually carry much more than a cell phone, a knife, and a lighter. I ride alone with more apprehension since an event that happened to a fellow Chief Petty Officer about a year ago.  Link Below. There is a lot of truth to the theory that you tend to ride faster and push yourself harder in a group.   Like Rider 41 when I am alone I ride a lot safer and try to look for the slower tougher stuff that is less likely to seriously injure me if i have a get off.  I like the company and shared experience of riding with someone and like being pushed a little which always happens to some extent since most of the people I ride with are faster than me.  Since I ate a tree a few months ago, I've worked hard to slow down when I'm not feeling it and to suppress the need to keep up.  If you're riding with a good group the only real pressure will be self imposed.  At any rate we all know the risks, but it doesn't hurt to minimize them where we can. People keep asking me; aren't you getting too old for this shit?  I just tell them, probably but I plan to still be doing it when I'm 70.  http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/229563311.html#