Sign in to follow this  

250 4-stroke at sand dunes ?

i have recently purchesed a 2014 crf250r. i am planning a trip to ride at Little Sahara sand dunes here in Utah this weekend. being un familiar with dune riding i was wondering how hard it would be on my bike? engine and clutch. and would a paddle be the way to go or just a knobby? any opinions or experences ? thanks!

i have recently purchesed a 2014 crf250r. i am planning a trip to ride at Little Sahara sand dunes here in Utah this weekend. being un familiar with dune riding i was wondering how hard it would be on my bike? engine and clutch. and would a paddle be the way to go or just a knobby? any opinions or experences ? thanks!

Sand dunes are hard on any bike, period. Bring more than 1 air filter and change it daily, make sure everythings sealed up perfect. Also you want a sand paddle tire, this will make a huge difference and make your bike fun in the sand. Like I said, the sand is hard on bikes, just try not to rev it out all the time and stay in a higher gear.

Also, when your riding, sit further back and keep the front end light.

I'd never bring a bike I loved to the dunes ---- the best bike for the dunes is a 250 2 stroke.    Sand gets in everything and the accelerated wear on everything makes this 2 stroke territory for sure,   not to mention the 4 strokes steer with the front end and can feel very heavy in the dunes --

I used to go a couple of times a year just to jump  --- but now, if (and its a big IF) I ever go back to the dunes, I will likely put paddle tires on my Jeep -- or better yet, borrow a 4 wheeler from someone else to take -- the dunes are a place where 4 wheelers are actually entertaining --

That said -- a single solitary trip to the dunes isn't going to ruin your new scoot -- but i'd guess that 1 hour of sand dunes operation probably equates to 5 hours at the track or trails , with regards to wear/tear and destructive potential ----  paddle tire is also the way to go unless you get lucky and get there the day after a rain when the sand is tacky

• Like 1

I have to ride sugarsand for about 1/2 mile to get to a trail

I hate  fish tailin washin out sinkin in LOL    I couldn't imagine doing more distance  without a paddle   bu then that would ride like crap on the trail  

I have decided I wont be buying a paddle or riding more than this 1/2 mile  sand ever it's just enough to build some skills

keep us posted on what you try

Edited by Zimman

Agree with the previous comments. Also when you get back, not a bad idea to clean and regrease chassis bearings and such. I like the 1-hour sand = 5-hours track trail. Sounds pretty accurate. I have went to sand mountain in Nevada a handful of times on 450's and 250 two strokes and have never had failures but it is true that sand gets EVERYWHERE. You will be fine. Have a blast

You will be fine. Have a blast

I forgot to add this -- Have a blast !  

Interestingly enough, Oklahoma also has a Little Sahara state park.   As I mentioned earlier, it was fun for me and a couple times a year, we'd round up 10-15 guys to go for a couple of days ---- with that many, we could line up at the top of the dunes to let others know we were jumping -- (so a side by side or sand rail wouldn't nail us coming up the other side accidentally) -- but as guys got a little older and more banged up,  less and less people showed up until a year ago, it was only 3 of us, -- and without enough guys to give you a safety net, we didn't jump much and I had more fun cooking brats and burgers in the campground than actually riding

If you like it enough though after the weekend, its almost worth it just to keep a gnarly 'ol 500 2 stroke , or a nice 250 around just for dune use --- not a beater really -- guys at the dunes sometimes spend more money on their machinery than is rational -- seen old 250 2 strokes that would re-sell for 1500 bucks that the owners have dropped 5k into -- LOL,  and don't even get me started on the trick quads and side by sides ---plus some of those sand rails are 100k machines!

Well, typing about the dunes almost makes me want to go back to see the freak show! (but on a quad -- LOL)