Sign in to follow this  

Softening a yz seat

Hi all, I've been reading and found that you can drill out holes in the seat foam to create a softer seat without having to buy new foam. My question is, how big are the holes you drill and how far apart? I can't seem to find any instructional videos or pictures to use as a guide.

if it doesnt work, check out guts racing . They make a very soft seat. I bought a WR that had one. Softest seat i ever sat on.

I looked at them earlier, is changing the seat foam a pretty basic job?

yeah its not hard at all. Ive done them before. You need a flat head and pliers to get out all the staples. Then you get the new cover on, set the front and rear tight with staples and work your way around ...pulling the whole cover snug. I used 1/4" staples. The guts racing Tall Soft is super plush and not that tall as it compresses as you sit on it. Only thing is that if u wana ride more agressive the super soft foam doesnt let you move forward and back on the seat as fast as a harder stock seat...just an fyi

Edited by avocasingletrack

yeah its not hard at all. Ive done them before. You need a flat head and pliers to get out all the staples. Then you get the new cover on, set the front and rear tight with staples and work your way around ...pulling the whole cover snug. I used 1/4" staples. The guts racing Tall Soft is super plush and not that tall as it compresses as you sit on it. Only thing is that if u wana ride more agressive the super soft foam doesnt let you move forward and back on the seat as fast as a harder stock seat...just an fyi

If I go with one it will probably be a normal height, (I'm a shorter guy) and there's not too much aggressive movements going on during a 2.5 hour harescramble, I'll certainly look into the guts soft foam though

Go ride a KTM and then you won't feel the need to soften your seat.

• Like 1

Ice race the thing. One season significantly softens the seat.

I live in southeast VA, not much of an option haha

I live in southeast VA, not much of an option haha

Oh...whatinhellareyoudoingsittingthatdarnthinganyway! Getupoffyourass! :)

• Like 1

Sorry guys I've been in the hospital all day, but I'm working on my riding technique as well, but still wouldn't mind not sitting on a rock when I do sit.

Oh...whatinhellareyoudoingsittingthatdarnthinganyway! Getupoffyourass! :)

Haha great point man. I barley sit down on my rock hard seat. The only time i sit is half way around corner. Or when im crusing around with my kids. If u get ure foam wet washing ure bike the foam will get softer as it breaks down, so ive heard. I havent washed my seat since i bought my new yz250 this spring. Does anyone think u can ride better standing? Cant really sit down and ride aggresivly