Glamis Info

I'm a Canadian and will be spending a month in Goodyear, AZ (25 mi west of Phoenix) from Dec 20 till Mid January.  Driving down there in my truck, but bringing my Harley as well for day trips and touring.  Looking for info on Glamis, and other cool areas to check out.  What part of Glamis do I want to see and where do I want to enter?  Keep in mind I will be on a Harley and just want to see the cool bikes there and experience the area.  What day do I want to go, and what's the weather like there at that time?  What else is a must-see in the Phoenix and surrounding area?

I live in Tucson which is south of Phoenix and hour and a half so I can't really comment too much on the details of Phoenix/Goodyear but the weather at that time of the year is usually very nice. It will be about as cold as it ever gets here but will probably feel nice and warm to you if you are from Canada lol. It will probably be around freezing in the morning and warm up to somewhere between 55–70 degrees during the day at that time.

Edited by fdme

Nobody here spends time at Glamis?

I also plan on attending SX in Phoenix.

You are about 200 miles from glamis and the season has just begun and runs usually to about easter. After that it's too hot. Now through Presidents day weekend is prime time for glamis.

Any major holiday will see 10's of thousands of people in glamis so take that in mind. If you want to get the full experience go for Thanksgiving, if you want fewer people go a couple weekends after a major holiday.

Lots of places to see, Olds hill all day and into the night, sand drags 4 PM to dusk, flag pole, hill 3, China wall....

Exciting news is the ASA and BLM are working on getting closure stakes removed so fingers crossed it gets done this season...should spread people out and get access to areas cut off for quite a while.

Here's a pic from 2 weeks ago out there.

1383543619916.jpg

Just read your post a little closer. If you are on a harley and don't have a 4wd truck you are pretty much limited to the sand drags and you may want to hitch a ride they are held about a 1/4 mile off the road. You could always hang out at the store or vendors row and make friends with someone to get a tour of the dunes... a case of bee....i mean soda goes a long way out there.

Edited by Braap91

Just read your post a little closer. If you are on a harley and don't have a 4wd truck you are pretty much limited to the sand drags and you may want to hitch a ride they are held about a 1/4 mile off the road. You could always hang out at the store or vendors row and make friends with someone to get a tour of the dunes... a case of bee....i mean soda goes a long way out there.

Great info there, that's the stuff I'm wanting to hear.  So if I hang out at the store, I might get a "tour guide"?  Right On!  And the store is alongside Hwy 78, just east of Brawley?

Glamis store is about 35 minutes outside of Brawley. Look up Glamis Beach store...right before the train tracks or after the train track depending on which way you come in. Right past the store is vendors row where you will see the most activity on a busy weekend. Then there is Crazy Kevans off of gecko road which is nearest to the sand drags.

Be cool, pony up some dough or beer and you may get in like dirty laundry...ive taken a couple rides in 1500hp sand rails in exchange for a bud and most times for nothing. I think there is a company out there that rents toys and gives tours of the dunes as well....dune tours??

Thanks Braap!  Much appreciated.  I would buy you a beer just for that info.

When guys have $80000 to $150000 wrapped up in their ride they like to see people come up and talk to them about it. Some will just want to do that, talk, others may want to talk about it and then want you to experience what they have got. No describing the adrenaline of doing 100mph in the whoops or doing a wheelie up hill and then downhill in a car.