250sx clutch fluid?

Alright so I've got a 2009 250sx and I have a question about which fluid to use for the hydraulic clutch. The manual states DOT 5.1, the cover on the reservoir says DOT4, and I've seen many other ktms recommend mineral oil. What do I use??

Thanks for any help

i always go by whats on the cover. ktm manuals have typos and conflicting info sometimes.

Edited by harryhandshake

Brembo which you have 5.1. Mineral oil will destroy your master cylinder. Hard lesson learned. Ive heard the number on brake fluid is the heat rating but not positive about that.

Alright so I guess next time it needs to be replaced ill go with DOT 4 brake fluid. Should be safe. If I'm correct DOT 5.1 is a silicone based fluid which is totally different than 4

Alright so I guess next time it needs to be replaced ill go with DOT 4 brake fluid. Should be safe. If I'm correct DOT 5.1 is a silicone based fluid which is totally different than 4

No, 5.1 is still the glycol based fluid, just like 3 and 4. It's DOT 5 that's silicone based.

Easy way to remember which system gets what.......

"B"rembo= "B"rake fluid

"M"agura= "M"ineral Oil

Edited by Trailryder42

Ohh alright thanks. So should I go with 5.1 or 4?

All 3 are compatible with each other. Everything these days has at least DOT 4 in it. If your system currently has 4 in it, I'd go with that. If doing a full flush of the system, go ahead with the newest spec. of 5.1.