xr600 to xr650

I have an 88 xr600 would like to install xr650 engine.

does it fit and how much work is this?

also what is my engine worth?

it is real nice low hour I pulled it apart after I bought it this spring. It still had the cross hatches in the bore but I did have it bored and installed a 98 mm wisco piston. I also put honda valve gide seals and a new timing chain. even tho it still had the paint marker on the chain. I wanted this engine to be bullet proof as I was going to keep it forever but now want electric start and one carb. any help here would be awsome. thanks Garry.

I'm curious about this too, I am looking at an XR650L and wondering if it'll need a radiator or if there are air cooled versions of those.

I think if it's an air cooled one, it'll be a direct fit. i think the change to 650 happened internally and didn't change the outside of the engine at all.

An 88 has a single carb. If you have more than that it's not an 88. If it is a single carb frame a 650L bolts in but the electrical system needs mods and a battery has to be added somewhere. It's really easier and cheaper to just buy a 650L than to convert a dual carb 600. Specially for a novice not familiar with the various XR configurations.

I'm curious about this too, I am looking at an XR650L and wondering if it'll need a radiator or if there are air cooled versions of those.

I think if it's an air cooled one, it'll be a direct fit. i think the change to 650 happened internally and didn't change the outside of the engine at all.

XR650R = watercooled, Alu frame

XR650L = Aircooled, Steel frame (basicly an upgraded XR600R) 

XR650L =  (basicly an XR600R with all the good bits taken off and 40lbs heavier

^^fixed

So will the XR600r top end fit on the xr650l looks like it will to me was wondering if there will be problems with the timing chain.

Confusion:::So in the first post you did what engine are you talking about there.,ie..650L or 600r. Is the current engine twin carb??,,You say in the last post you want to know%

Bugger this ,,post dele

Edited by Horri

Stuff this,,Deletion bug strikes again..I aint posting the above again..Get a 650L as Valves says

88 and up XR600Rs are all single carbs.  He can put a 650L engine in if he'd like, could probably put the XR600R head on there too, but I'd be wary of auto decomp features with an electric starter.  If the XR600R head doesn't lower comp like the XR650L then you may have hard times with hot starts.

I am sorry, I dont mean to sound stupid here I need electric start on this xr. I buught this engine on E bay and was told it was an 88. this engine was complete no carbs. I put my boot and carb off my 88 on it when I installed the engine in the frame. This is the olny place I have found with people who know about this and what I need to do. This said please be easy on me I just trying to keep some old hondas alive. I would like to use parts out of my engine since I have found out they arn't selling very well now and would like to get some of my money back out. Hince the questions about merging the two engines. you see buy a crank case and install my top end off the xr 600. sorry once more thanks for the help I have way too much in this bike and frame to this point and it is not working out with the kick starter. I hope this all makes sence thanks. Garry

Yep..Well I'm afraid I don't quite get what you actually own and what parts you want to put on what. If you have a complete working 650L motor and the XR is a single carb frame then simply install the 650L engine to it and put the 650L wire harness and whatever switching is required plus a battery on the XR and their you have it,,650L engine in a 600r..

If you only have half a 650L engine or whatever you are going to have to explain in a lot more clarity what you actually have in the way of parts from the donor bike and what you want in or on what engine/frame..

1,,,List the bikes you have telling us whether they are single carb or twin..

2,,list the engines you have and what parts are had it so we know what we are trying to deal with..

Here's the basics anyway..You can't just put a 600r bore/jug on a 650L bottom end (gearbox/crank)..XRL has I believe a 100mm piston..XR,,98mm..If you put the 600 bore and piston on the 650L bottom end the piston will not come to the top of the 600 bore at full crank rod extension meaning the bike will have less compression,,whether it'd even work I don't know..might even be a gudgeon pin size difference between rods/pistons to deal with as well..I expect it would run but it'd be a bit low on power..maybe,,I can't be certain how it'd run..You could put an XR600 top end on a 650L (cylinder head,,head cover),,that's assuming the XR is single carb..even if it was a twin carb head it could be done but other frame/airbox mods will need to be sorted out for the carb alignment/fittng...So that's the basics..Now list the engines and parts you have and people may be able to comment about what goes where and other options if they don't compute...

Edited by Horri