Moab trip with some carnage

So myself and a buddy went to Moab Utah for some riding in the area Friday through Sunday.

Day 1:

Rode 48 miles Slick Rock and Hell's Revenge.

IMG_2401_zps5a5f04e7.jpg

Day 2:

Rode 128 miles on the Kokopelli trail.

Day 3: 

7 miles of Sovereign Trail

I was climbing a ledge when the rear tire slipped causing the bike to go down on the left side then slide backwards, the shifter then punched a hole in the ignition cover causing a massive loss of oil.

IMG_2403_zpscdce4619.jpg

IMG_2404_zpsc8f1fb5b.jpg

IMG_2406_zpse4abd48f.jpg

• Like 1

Not that I know of, the piece broke behind the stator that's bolted to the cover so it didn't go anywhere. I shut the motor down immediately and am going to change the oil/filter/screens.

Nobody makes an armor piece for that area, am I the only person that has punched an ignition cover?

A common mod is to grind that "point" off the shift lever that faces the case and make it round.  It might not have made any difference since you landed on rock, but it is worth doing.

Glad to hear your bike is OK.  Moab is a trip.  I am going next weekend.  My sig photo was taken on Poison Spider trail.  An MT43 trials tire on the rear is like cheating on the rock by the way ?

A common mod is to grind that "point" off the shift lever that faces the case and make it round.  It might not have made any difference since you landed on rock, but it is worth doing.

Glad to hear your bike is OK.  Moab is a trip.  I am going next weekend.  My sig photo was taken on Poison Spider trail.  An MT43 trials tire on the rear is like cheating on the rock by the way ?

Grinding the corner is a great idea and I think it may have made the difference between a huge dent and a jugular shot (<-- my bike).

I am going to grab an MT43 some time soon, a sudden loss of grip from the MX51 attributed to at least a couple of falls.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut a piece of rubber hose and zip tie it to the shifter lever. Get Tubliss and a Desert HT motoz . run it 1-4psi and it will hook up better than a trials tire

I think the trials at 3 psi would grip the rock better than a knobbie at low pressure just because the knobs are so much gummier on the trials.

I think the trials at 3 psi would grip the rock better than a knobbie at low pressure just because the knobs are so much gummier on the trials.

Yes, like super glue.. But when I ran trial tires I sliced sidewalls like they were butter at that low of pressure. MT43 is a decent compromise but lacks in the corners

Yes, like super glue.. But when I ran trial tires I sliced sidewalls like they were butter at that low of pressure. MT43 is a decent compromise but lacks in the corners

Up until recently it was the only tire I hadn't put a hole in running tubliss. I thought it was strange because it sure doesn't seem as tough as a knobbie. Still no holes in my MR43, but since trying a D908 and D739 I haven't been able to puncture those either.

Back from my Moab trip.  We rode White Wash and the San Rafael Swell areas. 

No carnage and some overly long videos.  The first one features me doing some wheelie squidding in a sandwash on my FE450.  Best bike I have ever owned for gnarly riding and 2nd best for wheelies ?

• Like 3

Nice videos, it was giving me flashbacks from this spring. We made pretty much the same tour this last spring. Its got my wrist all twitchy, ready for round two. My two buddies weren't too impressed with me when I lead us up the Big Drop switchback on the Enduro loop though. Any clue if they have finished the new trail through that section?

• 2 months later...