Hammerhead Shift lever

Anyone else running a hammerhead shift lever on there YZ125?

Just bought one with he extended tip for my size 13 boots.  the product itself looks top notch, and high quality, no complaints there.

The problem I am having is actually installing it on the right spline, I want to go lower by 1 spline, but when I do, I cant then get the bolt in as the bottom frame of the bike is in the way.   I did consider installing screw partially before putting on, but it makes it tight on the spline, and I dont want to damage the screw of gear selector spline, with the screw part way in, I would need to hit into place with a mallet.   Even if i pull the lever up to try rotate the screw hole round, it doesnt allow enough room to access from underneath.

Anyone else had this issue?   Should I just use a bit of force with the bolt threaded in halfway?

• 9 months later...

Anyone else running a hammerhead shift lever on there YZ125?

Just bought one with he extended tip for my size 13 boots.  the product itself looks top notch, and high quality, no complaints there.

The problem I am having is actually installing it on the right spline, I want to go lower by 1 spline, but when I do, I cant then get the bolt in as the bottom frame of the bike is in the way.   I did consider installing screw partially before putting on, but it makes it tight on the spline, and I dont want to damage the screw of gear selector spline, with the screw part way in, I would need to hit into place with a mallet.   Even if i pull the lever up to try rotate the screw hole round, it doesnt allow enough room to access from underneath.

Anyone else had this issue?   Should I just use a bit of force with the bolt threaded in halfway?

I have this exact same problem.. f'd around for an hour.. couldn't get it on and it is obvious Hammerhead never tried putting the bolt in when they designed it. I tried everything and it is impossible to mount the shift tip level with the peg. you can get it on much lower or higher than the peg but you cant get it where 99% of the people would normally put it.

mike

Just wondering...

Take a dog bone, put duct tape on one side, then put the bolt in the other side.  The duct tape will hold the bolt head in the wrench.

Slide bolt into shift lever as far as possible w/o engaging the threads.

Slide it all on to the spline, then tighten bolt with the dog bone.

Question:  will having the bolt halfway in to the shift lever give you enough clearance to get past the frame?

If the dog bone is too thick maybe you can try a box wrench.

• Like 1

quote "peterides"

"I love my HammerHead shifter. Its a tight fit and you have to mess around with it to get it to fit the way you want it. Mine fit fine."

[/unquote]

i used a slightly shorter/different bolt on mine and it was a bit fiddly to do but not that bad.i think the people who are having major problem's may (possibly)have purchased the older stock version,as HH changed them up a while back?

here's an email i sent them in november 2013 before i scored my one from atv unlimited.

hi,i see your advert states that yz125/250 shift lever's are the same and will fit both model bikes from 1996-2014?

the thing is i already have a hammerhead shifter on my 2003 yz250 2-stroke and it does not fit my 2011 yz125 without hitting the engine case when you try and change gear? this mean's something changed or your advert is wrong?

i'm only asking as i'm in england and i want to order a shift lever from the usa for my 11 yz125 but i also want to make sure it will fit my bike before i do?

many txs

john

Hey John,

The lever you have is probably one of our old two stroke levers. On the newer two stroke Yamahas they switched up a bolt on it that makes the lever hit it. We have fix that problem with our new levers so now they do fit from 96-14. We our currently out of stock on them, but one of your dealers might have one in stock. If not I have attached a link that will allow you to sign up and be notified when it is back in stock. https://www.hdmoto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=YZ250SL

Jeff Barton

Sales

Hammerhead Designs, Inc.

Edited by smez

I had same issue trying to get bolt tightened. Finally got it on, but then hit a rock on the MX track and the shifter was so strong it bent my shift shaft. Had to cut it out to replace it. Could have happened with OEM shifter too, but I think it would have bent before the shaft did.

• Like 1

Hh also make a forged (not billet) one for the 125 that's cheaper,and not as strong but it looks like it will fit better as the thread/mounting hole is rotated around to a better looking position.

These one's don't offer the interchangeable tip's though.

image.jpg

Edited by smez

I had the same problem. I caught it right after I installed the engine in the frame (without the shifter installed). I ended up taking the bolts out of the engine mounts except the front mount (loosened it). The head stays were not installed too. I pivoted the engine upward (away from the lower frame cross member) to get the bolt in the shifter. I didn't have the carb or the subframe on at the time either.

What a pain! I'm in trouble if I want to take it off!

Im running a Hammer Head forged shifter on my YZ 250. To get it on I had to put the shifter on the end of the shaft so the shifter was  not pushed all the way in where it should be. Start the bolt then push it all the way on the shaft and tighten it up with an open end 8 mm until I got resistance then switch to a box end. It's a pita but it will go just not with a socket or T handle. After all that it was either too high or one spline lower it would bump the frame on 2-1 shifts and put it in neutral. I had to grind part of it down to make it work but that's another story.

• 2 weeks later...

The hammer head shifter won't work on the 2 stroke, at least the way it should work.  The shifter Hammerhead ships for a smoker is actually a 4 stroke shifter.  They don't make one for the smoker.   I messed with it forever and gave up. Even called them to try to explain what the problem was and they swore it was a short coming on my behalf. 

Solution:  I tried several different shifters, but none of them work as well as the OEM shifter.  I run a Hammerhead brake pedal, but OEM shifter.  Replace the shift shaft about every 80 - 100 hours, install the new shifter with blue locktite on the bolt, and it will perform well for a while.  The shaft wears over time and a new shifter won't fix the problem of the shifter working its way loose.   

JC

EG YZ 295

I just put one on my 13 250. It can be done at the oem location. Here are the steps:

1. Unscrew bolt all the way and leave it in the hole but not threaded. (very important that its not threaded)
  2. Place in location desired
  3. Using your finger tips start threading the bolt on as a box wrench wont fit right yet.
  4. Once you have the bolt about half way in you can then start to use the wrench.HammerHead_zps0e181ebc.jpg
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What a PITA. ?

Just sent this off:

Dear Sir,  I purchased a CNC shift lever with a +15mm tip for my 2013 YZ250.  I am unable to install the supplied bolt due to the lack of clearance with the frame.  I am able to install a bolt that is 0.09375 (3/32") shorter.  Will that work or is it too short?  If not, my next plan is to drill out the threads of the clamp, and install a nut and bolt.  Best Regards, <SpunBearing> 

Edited by SpunBearing