5 day plus in back country

Advrider.com or something very similar. Have to sort through the weeds a bit. Also a search on TT, or bike specific sites. I'd ramp up slowly, it's easy to accumulate a lot of stuff you can't haul, depending on terrain. I'm working this out myself with a constrained budget.

Mike

• Like 1

Advrider.com or something very similar. Have to sort through the weeds a bit. Also a search on TT, or bike specific sites. I'd ramp up slowly, it's easy to accumulate a lot of stuff you can't haul, depending on terrain. I'm working this out myself with a constrained budget.

Mike

Funny.. I saw an observation on the larger adventure bikes, someone was questioning the wisdom of buying an "off-road" bike the size of a tank, and then loading all the crap in your garage onto it.   

A real good suggestion that I read was to look into hiker or bicycle camper equipment, since they have less space and more weight restrictions than we do.  Although that stuff gets pricey in a hurry too.

• Like 2

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REI actively supports Wilderness initiatives--- which lead to closed riding areas.

Please, spend your money elsewhere, preferably with a company which doesn't try and lock us out of our riding areas.

. Yes what he said. No rei.

Old to motorcycles, new to dual sport, extended stay off road excersions. Where is a good source to get info on gear, packing exc...

Thank you for any help.

Roger

If you've never tried one, look up Ogio Flight vest. They are totally awesome for body carrying things, totally balanced feel and a cazillion pockets along with hydration. There's a lot of other stuff already mentioned, but this piece of equipment is very nice to wear.  ?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REI actively supports Wilderness initiatives--- which lead to closed riding areas.

Please, spend your money elsewhere, preferably with a company which doesn't try and lock us out of our riding areas.

I'm more concerned with the fact that they're a good $30 more expensive per item than everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I come to Dual Sport riding from a background of years and many miles of backpacking. I still backpack, but now I also pack my gear on my bike for extended trips. 

Get a good ultra light stove (I like the Esbit three piece--cheap and reliable)

If you ride and camp where there are trees (as in, not in the desert) I would highly recommend an ultralight backpacking hammock in lieu of a tent and groundcloth and pad.  I have two of them and would rather staple my forehead than sleep on the ground in a crappy tent ever again. That's just me. 

Dehydrated meals. Either you do them yourself or use Mountain home or whatever they're called.

And a few other items and you are set.  

I concur that REI is a good place to shop and touch and feel, but I don't recommend spending your $$ there. 

I can give you more specifics on Hammocks and stoves and whatnot if you have interest. 

As for stoves I'd recommend this one

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Whisperlite-International-Liquid-Fuel-Stove/dp/B000BBS49C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386073406&sr=8-2&keywords=msr+whisperlite+international

What's nice about the international is it runs on unleaded gasoline, it's an added bonus that the fuel bottle doubles as reserve fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

giantloop.com

The only way to take just enough gear and still have a rideable bike that hasnt turned into a pig.  We have been running that stuff for years.

On the outside of the GL bag I have a dry bag with nylon tarp, pair pants, bivy tent, pair camp shoes and camp chair.  Looks like a bunch shit on the back but there is actually no weight in there, so strapped on tight, it doesnt move. 

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541524

Edited by Team_Oatmeal_Pie
  • Like 1

giantloop.com

The only way to take just enough gear and still have a rideable bike that hasnt turned into a pig. We have been running that stuff for years.

On the outside of the GL bag I have a dry bag with nylon tarp, pair pants, bivy tent, pair camp shoes and camp chair. Looks like a bunch shit on the back but there is actually no weight in there, so strapped on tight, it doesnt move.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541524

^this.

Oh...and always carry jb weld and a spot tracker.

Search obdr and the giant loop company, they make some supplies and their website has tips on stuff to pack on a trip. The biggest thing I can recommend is to know your bike and how to work on it. If something goes south, you need to be able to repai almost anything on the fly. I had a gas cap that started leaking so we rigged up a plastic zip lock bag between cap and tank to fix the seal, that type of random crap always happens to someone on the trip.