Anyone prefer their '13 CRF250 over their '14 CRF250?

In the market for a new CRF250.  Local dealers have 13s and 14s. 

I want to make sure the 2013 isn't the 2008 CRF450, or 1996 CR250 of the 250 four stroke class.

Just sayin' a "new body style" isn't ALWAYS better then its older brother. 

I like the single exhaust on the 13 and my rear wheel (special built 2.75" black Sun rim with HD Buchanon spokes) will bolt up on the 13, other then that  I like the 14. 

Does the 13 do anything better then the 14 (from guys who have ridden both)?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cdaniels

In the market for a new CRF250.  Local dealers have 13s and 14s. 

I want to make sure the 2013 isn't the 2008 CRF450, or 1996 CR250 of the 250 four stroke class.

Just sayin' a "new body style" isn't ALWAYS better then its older brother. 

I like the single exhaust on the 13 and my rear wheel (special built 2.75" black Sun rim with HD Buchanon spokes) will bolt up on the 13, other then that  I like the 14. 

Does the 13 do anything better then the 14 (from guys who have ridden both)?

Thanks in advance.

I could have waited for the 14, but I didn't for these reasons.

1.) I was worried that'd be like the 2010 and have issues with the new stuff. (crank, efi, etc. etc.)

2.) I don't want dual exhaust. I don't really care how cool it is, I don't need to chance bending the pipe if I crash. I bend a pipe far more than I want to as it is.  (I've seen the 13 450's bend their fancy dual exhaust system in, then the rear tire rubs against it every time the suspension compresses and dents it) I also didn't want to spend all the extra money on after market dual exhaust. A single aftermarket system is pricey as is! 

3.) Air forks. Not a fan. I just don't understand why such an old design is now on these bikes. I just think that there is a reason springs were used for so long. If it ain't broke don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with them before. I'll stick to springs.

4.) I honestly HATE the look of the 14's and 13 450's.

5.) There were almost too many changes for my liking. At least too many all at once. New HPSD, New EFI, New Transmission, new Subframe, new swingarm etc. etc. 

However, If the dealers are like they were for me (14's weren't out then) They wanted 200 bucks less than a 2013 for a 2012. If they do that, you may as well go 14. why not pay 200 more and get a new "new" bike? Maybe I'm just a little against it just to make myself feel good about getting the 13 and not waiting for the 14. :rolleyes:  But I honestly was a little hesitant about all the new stuff.   

no airforks on 2014 250

1.) I was worried that'd be like the 2010 and have issues with the new stuff. (crank, efi, etc. etc.)

2.) I don't want dual exhaust. I don't really care how cool it is, I don't need to chance bending the pipe if I crash. I bend a pipe far more than I want to as it is.  (I've seen the 13 450's bend their fancy dual exhaust system in, then the rear tire rubs against it every time the suspension compresses and dents it) I also didn't want to spend all the extra money on after market dual exhaust. A single aftermarket system is pricey as is! 

3.) Air forks. Not a fan. I just don't understand why such an old design is now on these bikes. I just think that there is a reason springs were used for so long. If it ain't broke don't fix it. There was nothing wrong with them before. I'll stick to springs.

5.) There were almost too many changes for my liking. At least too many all at once. New HPSD, New EFI, New Transmission, new Subframe, new swingarm etc. etc. 

However, If the dealers are like they were for me (14's weren't out then) They wanted 200 bucks less than a 2013 for a 2012. If they do that, you may as well go 14. why not pay 200 more and get a new "new" bike? Maybe I'm just a little against it just to make myself feel good about getting the 13 and not waiting for the 14. :rolleyes:  But I honestly was a little hesitant about all the new stuff.   

If the 14 had the air fork, I would already have a 13 in the shop. 

I had a 13 450......I don't wanna deal with the air fork. 

Sometimes the last of a generation turns out to be a classic bike (96 CR250, 08 CRF450, etc). Maybe the 13 250 will be one of those......urggg, decisions. 

For what its worth, the 14 is $580 more dough (which is not a concern, just sayin). 

Edited by cdaniels

You can put a single-side exhaust on the 2013-2014 CRF450R and the 2014 CRF250R if you like...

I didn't think the 14 motor was THAT different then the 13 to be concerned with tranny issues or efi issues........

I didn't think the 14 motor was THAT different then the 13 to be concerned with tranny issues or efi issues........

All I know is it's different. Honda's site has a feature where you can view all the changes. And I didn't realize the 250's didn't have the air fork too. Kind of weird because the 250 seems to mirror the 450 with the bigger changes at least. 

The 2014 is a better bike. Just buy it and ride.

Have you spent much time on one Eddie? My '12 has bottom end to burn and don't want any more bottom. My motor work and gearing was geared to more mid and top so I could stretch the gears more. With everything I've had done it feels like a weak 450. I haven't rode a '14 yet, but I understand it's a bottom to mid motor and signs off quick.

I have ridden them with stock motors, mildly modded motors and with heavily modded motors, likely modded more than yours. No stock 250-4 has bottom end to burn, IMO, but the bike is a good handling bike and comes with a 13.5:1 piston so that's about as much low-end as you're gonna get on pump gas. Stock bike needs a remap and it's a big improvement to stock. It's terribly unfair to compare a stock motor to a properly modded motor. I don't think the 2014 motor signs off any quicker than a 2012-2013, especially when remapped-to-remapped.

Edited by Eddie8v

I "copy and pasted" the below from a Cycle World article.......did you notice the 14 harder to start at all Ed?

"For some reason, the new 2014 CRF250R seems a little less willing to start compared to other 250Fs and older CRFs. It also seems to like a healthier boot than we recall, but sometimes it started right up. Bumping the idle helped some; making sure the bike was in neutral helped more."

No perceivable difference in starting them for me, stock, mild or wild. Maybe they were having a bad day... or needed to say "something" negative. Like "putting it in neutral", duh.

Cool.....starting these cold 4 strokes on the ice can be tough sometimes.

Thanks. 

Nuthin' a mild EFI re-map wouldn't help...

Nuthin' a mild EFI re-map wouldn't help...

What should a remap cost around?

What should a remap cost around?

See Eddie Sisneros' sticky thread at the top of this forum, around $50 and worth double that.

2.) I don't want dual exhaust. I don't really care how cool it is, I don't need to chance bending the pipe if I crash. I bend a pipe far more than I want to as it is. (I've seen the 13 450's bend their fancy dual exhaust system in, then the rear tire rubs against it every time the suspension compresses and dents it) I also didn't want to spend all the extra money on after market dual exhaust. A single aftermarket system is pricey as is!

However, If the dealers are like they were for me (14's weren't out then) They wanted 200 bucks less than a 2013 for a 2012. If they do that, you may as well go 14. why not pay 200 more and get a new "new" bike? Maybe I'm just a little against it just to make myself feel good about getting the 13 and not waiting for the 14. :rolleyes: But I honestly was a little hesitant about all the new stuff.

lol the 14 250 has the standard spring fork

lol the 14 250 has the standard spring fork

Yea the OP already pointed that out

I have ridden them with stock motors, mildly modded motors and with heavily modded motors, likely modded more than yours. No stock 250-4 has bottom end to burn, IMO, but the bike is a good handling bike and comes with a 13.5:1 piston so that's about as much low-end as you're gonna get on pump gas. Stock bike needs a remap and it's a big improvement to stock. It's terribly unfair to compare a stock motor to a properly modded motor. I don't think the 2014 motor signs off any quicker than a 2012-2013, especially when remapped-to-remapped.

Mine has been heavily modified to the tune of serveral thousand dollars. The '12 had way more bottom out of the box than the '10 did. On the '10 I went up 1 tooth on the rear, which Honda did on the '12. Way more bottom end. Now I run 14/52 instead of 13/49 (you can do the math) on the '12 and still have plenty of bottom but I can stretch the gears like the '10. The guy that did my bike just finished a '13, and after testing they went down a full tooth on the rear because it had more bottom than they needed. Too bad you haven't rode a 250F that's had bottom end to burn. I used a Vortex on map 9. No comparison to a remapped stock ecu.

Edited by j368

See Eddie Sisneros' sticky thread at the top of this forum, around $50 and worth double that.

How does Eddie actually come up with his maps? Does he test his maps on the actual bike on the track himself??? Or is he just getting feedback from riders of various ability and testing knowledge from beginners and up in ability? Or does he just tweak others maps to what he thinks would work well?