New tires! Unstoppable traction and control

Did my first ride with my new tire setup on my 12' 500XC-W. Appositely the best things I've done for my bike and for the trail!

I chose trials tires for a few reason

1. Traction. I'm not an MX rider, I ride for the destination and the challenge. I'm not out to dig trenches or kick up dust and throw rocks. Trials tires stick like glue to the trail. so they are less damaging to the trail and in this day in age we need to do all we can to keep our trails from becoming rivers and gullies.

2. Wear, With more lugs it reduces the stress on any one point of the tire and evens the wear and reduces chucking. I've had buddies ride with me and put 700-900 miles on a trials tire where I was replacing my knobby every 300 miles of heavy single track.

3. Here in Colorado a good number of our trails are decomposed granite (like millions of ball bearings) and with every knobby I've ridden, will cause a lot of wash out and feel like you're riding on ice. in the corners of the atv trails and even on the single track it can cause you to fall right off the trail. The trials tire with 5psi up front totally eliminates that feeling and builds a ton of confidence in the corners especially when they are whooped out.

I also run the trubliss system. its the only system that will let me run such low pressures. Its a pain in the ass to put in but once its does its awesome what you can do.

I'm running the Dunlop D803 front and rear. Super soft and had some of the best reviews.

Im running 3-4 PSI in the rear and 6-7 PSI up front

null_zps259d6818.jpg

null_zps4706e885.jpg

Edited by MrDieselTwitch
  • Like 1

I invite you to bring those tires on out to the AZ sand washes lol!! They are a very terrain specific tire but what they do they do very well.

From what I hear they do amazing in the sand also! more than one review has said "Holly $h!!t" in the sand. 

I rode the trail up in Central City and they where awesome and I also have ridden them at rampart in all the washy crappy. So far I haven't had a complaint with them at all. Have you ever ridden trials tires?

Quote from dirtrider:com "The Dos and Don'ts of Trials Tires, How they work in:Sand

You'd think that trials tires would outright blow in the sand, but they don't. In fact, they may be way more consistent than even a sand tire in the soft stuff. They start out by spinning, and they keep spinning with a very consistent grab and never a harsh bite of traction. Sand was clearly the most impressive "no way!" surprise of these tires."

Edited by MrDieselTwitch

Trust me... There is sand and there is silt. Here our sand is mostly silt. Im sticking with my scorpions front and rear. Love those tires.

Lol you said sand! ? Yeah I'll go with "Silt Sucks" - Robby Gordon

I've been hitting big the tightest, highest, steepest single track and rocks I can find! 

Edited by MrDieselTwitch

Yup! Nothing I hate more than riding in talcum powder!! I try to avoid it but trails here either cross or utilize washes. There is no escape from it. Quite a few guys in my club run trials tires out back but that's the hike-a-bike crew. I myself do not find dragging my bike up or down obstacles amusing. More power to them though.

Oh.. And the trick to the silt.. Knobbies, lean back, and hold it WFO!! And tell your steering dampner how much you love it ;-)

LMAO I think thats your style in every thing!

I was thinking about a dampener but now with my these tries I don't need one. The'y act as a dampener all on there own. Much larger contact patch simulates a higher rake angle 

Hope you don't find any mud...

Actually does pretty well. 90% of the trails here are rock, so we don't hit much mud. But even in the mud I did find it hooked up like normal. I hear that the flexing if the tire helps to clean the tread. The tread in contact with the ground flexes and the space between the lugs is smaller that when it's not in contact so as soon as the tread leaves the ground it self cleans. That's what I've read and heard from other guys who run them. Heck they were banned from GNCC for giving an unfair advantage

Why do you say that? I was getting into 4th on some of the straighter smoother sections and it felt like I was glued to the trail

hit something hard in 4th gear with 7lb lbs of air in your front and see how that works out for you. just saying...   sure if you are just on a smooth trail it likely won't matter, but then it also won't matter what tires you are running..  again, just saying...    i've seen so many guys jump on that bandwagon before, only to see them back running knobbies a few months and a few rims later as well.  not knocking it, have fun with it.

Edited by DRS
  • Like 1

In all honesty, I probably won't run them that low normally. I'm just excited about being able to at this point. But in reality I'll probably end up running 10 psi upfront and five to seven psi in the back

I have never tried running low tires.....too scared.

Edited by originalmonk