Sign in to follow this  

Ughhhh! One last issue! Anybody?

Ok long story short.....cleaned carb had to remove throttle cables, now can't get them adjusted just right. I got it close but now.....

if the throttle (on handle bar) goes from open to all the way closed the bike stalls, so when I come to a stop it stalls if I roll the throttle all the way back (to closed)

So.....do I need to tighten the pull cable or the return cable? Or what do I need to do?

It is not an idle issue, it is the throttle cables not adjusted right.

This is my last hurdle.....I rode the bike 100 miles and it runs fine, it is just this one little issue now, can anybody help me?? Thanks!!!

Sounds like your idle isn't adjusted correctly.  Your throttle cables should be allowing throttle plate/slide to return to the rest position.  In effect, the bike should be able to idle just fine without the throttle cables connected.

Sounds like you should start with the idle screw, possibly the fuel screw.  If you can't get it acting correctly, take it back apart and better clean the pilot circuit.

Are you sure your idle adjuster is actually stopping the throttle wheel? What sounds like is happening is you have the cable adjusted slightly too tight, making the idle adjuster useless, and when you close the throttle it is being pushed past where your idle should be set to.

1+ as long as you have throttle cable play with throttle closed, then the cables have no effect at all with idleing

Sounds like your idle isn't adjusted correctly.  Your throttle cables should be allowing throttle plate/slide to return to the rest position.  In effect, the bike should be able to idle just fine without the throttle cables connected.

Sounds like you should start with the idle screw, possibly the fuel screw.  If you can't get it acting correctly, take it back apart and better clean the pilot circuit.

Hmm, the reason I think throttle cable(s) is because the handlebar throttle doesn't "snap" all the way back when I let go, it goes almost all the way back, so if I let it go, it goes back most of the way then stops, then I can move it 1/8" more and that is when it stalls......still sounds like idle??

Does the throttle wheel (carb not bars) snap back if you manually turn the wheel by hand ?

Does the engine idle correctly OR high, before you roll it further back from the bars ?

Does bar position effect idle ? (full lock to full lock)

Does the throttle wheel (carb not bars) snap back if you manually turn the wheel by hand ?

Does the engine idle correctly OR high, before you roll it further back from the bars ?

Does bar position effect idle ? (full lock to full lock)

First question = yes

Second question = correctly

Third question = no

• Like 1

How would it have gotten out of adjustment?

Can I adjust it by turning this to the right to increase idle?

idle_zpse1c4fe32.jpg

Its not unusual as a motor seats for the idle to change, but as long as you have 3 or 4mm of throttle cable end play, and the throttle stop is being hit on your carb by the actuator with throttle is closed, then yes the white knob clockwise will raise the idle. But if you have to turn more than a 1/4 or 1/2 to make it idle then something isnt right with the idle circuit in the carb, and thats probably why it is not idleing.

The throttle cables are just there to open the air valve on the carb, as mentioned you can completely remove the cables and the bike will idle if the carb is right.

Yeah , turn it clock wise .

Does the whole thing turn or just the white knob?

Just turn the knob! A cable turns inside that black housing. Sometimes it's hard to turn. Maybe your cables were badly adjusted BEFORE and didn't close all the way.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!  It was the idle, I turned it a 1/4 turn and it runs perfect now! Took it for a ride to get it warmed up real good and it is still perfect!

Off to a 150 mile ride on Sunday, can't wait!

Thanks again guys!!

if the throttle (on handle bar) goes from open to all the way closed the bike stalls, so when I come to a stop it stalls if I roll the throttle all the way back (to closed)

It is not an idle issue, it is the throttle cables not adjusted right.

If the bike won't idle, how can it be anything but an idle issue..... :bonk:

If the bike won't idle, how can it be anything but an idle issue..... :bonk:

That is why I come here for advice, I just figured since I was messing with the cables it was something I was doing! I have no problem admitting when I am wrong and taking others advice! Forums are the best place to go if you aren't sure and need help! :thumbsup:

• Like 1