Sign in to follow this  

Chain roller, do we have to remove it too ?

You do come up with the strangest questions.  The DRZ400 sometimes looses the upper chain guide roller.  If so, it should be replaced. Tearing a hole in the frame has never been reported.

• Like 1

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/886992-chain-roller-hole/

Came across this topic on the DR 650 and hopefully we don't have to worry about that ?

if the roller goes missing, and all is left is a bolt, ya, maybe. worst it's going to do is rip off the bolt, and/or stop the rear wheel, and/or smash the case. that, would likely have to have 4" of slack in the chain, full suspension compression, full engine braking, all in just the right proportions.

so no, i don't see it happening. unless you're 400 miles from a road. with no tools. or water. 

The mounting of the roller is difference between the DR and the DRZ, and no it's not a problem for us.

Found this about the roller on the 650's wiki :

http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Potential_problems_to_be_aware_of

It also has the primary nut issue, there's a note about header weld that might also be of interest, says this is an area where Suzuki quality control slips. I remember a post here about a chunk of said header breaking off when trying to remove the pipe.

if the roller goes missing, and all is left is a bolt, ya, maybe. worst it's going to do is rip off the bolt, and/or stop the rear wheel, and/or smash the case. that, would likely have to have 4" of slack in the chain, full suspension compression, full engine braking, all in just the right proportions.

so no, i don't see it happening. unless you're 400 miles from a road. with no tools. or water. 

Unless there is a couple gas stations in that 400 miles, or carry a couple gas cans, he is already gonna be pushing for awhile  :smirk: