Sign in to follow this  

Best mods for 05-12 yz 125?

Hey guys, any one with a 05-12 yz 125 I'd like to know what mods were the best for your moto bikes , thanks

• Like 1

Hey guys, any one with a 05-12 yz 125 I'd like to know what mods were the best for your moto bikes , thanks

Suspension! Get a local guy who is known to be good to do it. They'll work with you and watch what the bike is doing. If you want more power look at a pipe, reeds, a 144 kit, porting, polishing or higher compression. But first get the jetting dialed in. Edited by Kawilikeaboss

Well, I went with a 144 kit, and I love it.

Suspension of course is more important than the engine, but the OEM suspension is excellent on these bikes from 06 up, and I would say that all you really need to do is make sure your spring rates are correct for your weight, and the fluid is fresh. I don't consider that a "mod", just basic setup/maintainence. If you need a rebuild of revalve, I can tell you that I have used Factory Connection and have been reasonably pleased.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket and you absolutely have to bolt something on, the VForce 3 reeds are good, just make sure to seal them with RTV or you will get an air leak.

How about solving your excessive "spooge" and smoking issue first ?

Well, I went with a 144 kit, and I love it.

Suspension of course is more important than the engine, but the OEM suspension is excellent on these bikes from 06 up, and I would say that all you really need to do is make sure your spring rates are correct for your weight, and the fluid is fresh. I don't consider that a "mod", just basic setup/maintainence. If you need a rebuild of revalve, I can tell you that I have used Factory Connection and have been reasonably pleased.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket and you absolutely have to bolt something on, the VForce 3 reeds are good, just make sure to seal them with RTV or you will get an air leak.

I have the v force reeds and I've never had issues with air leaks where on the reed cage or gasket should I rtv

I have the v force reeds and I've never had issues with air leaks where on the reed cage or gasket should I rtv

How do you know you've never had issues with air leaks? The only reason I knew I had air leaks was by doing a crankcase leak test with a pump and gauge immediately aftr installing the VF3. If it weren't for that, I would never have known. I wonder if I would have ever noticed a performance issue? Since air leaks can be very bad for 2 stroke motors I thought it was important to test and fix asap, and I try to help others to know about this since not everyone has a leak test kit.

After the first VF3 reed cage leaked I took it off and carefully examined it to see why. The issue was that the plastic sealing surface of the cage had manufacturing imperfections on it that made it not sit perfectly flat. The gaskets that were supplied were not sufficient to cover up this problem. I called Moto Tassinari and they very quickly sent me another VF3 kit free of charge, but it was no better. I finally fixed the problem by coating each side of the paper gaskets with a light coating of black RTV sealant and the leak was instantly gone.

I did notice some performance improvement with the VF3, so I continue to use it to this day. The RTV makes this possible.

Based on my limited sample size of just two units, it is my guess that anyone who has the VF3 product on a late build yz125 has a fair chance of having at least a small air leak. It may not ever be an issue, but I believe it is important not to have any air leaks on a 2 stroke motor.

Edited by rjpjnk

How do you know you've never had issues with air leaks? The only reason I knew I had air leaks was by doing a crankcase leak test with a pump and gauge immediately aftr installing the VF3. If it weren't for that, I would never have known. I wonder if I would have ever noticed a performance issue? Since air leaks can be very bad for 2 stroke motors I thought it was important to test and fix asap, and I try to help others to know about this since not everyone has a leak test kit.

After the first VF3 reed cage leaked I took it off and carefully examined it to see why. The issue was that the plastic sealing surface of the cage had manufacturing imperfections on it that made it not sit perfectly flat. The gaskets that were supplied were not sufficient to cover up this problem. I called Moto Tassinari and they very quickly sent me another VF3 kit free of charge, but it was no better. I finally fixed the problem by coating each side of the paper gaskets with a light coating of black RTV sealant and the leak was instantly gone.

I did notice some performance improvement with the VF3, so I continue to use it to this day. The RTV makes this possible.

Based on my limited sample size of just two units, it is my guess that anyone who has the VF3 product on a late build yz125 has a fair chance of having at least a small air leak. It may not ever be an issue, but I believe it is important not to have any air leaks on a 2 stroke motor.

I did a leak down test as described in the leak down test topic I plugged the exaust port and put 15-20 psi and waited 10 min and it only dropped one psi my dad works for pyro fax energy so I had all the supplies to do this

How about a good jetting chart that includes altitude and tempatures?

How about solving your excessive "spooge" and smoking issue first ?

thats on my other bike

thus would be nice

or a apt smart carb
  • Like 1

I did a leak down test as described in the leak down test topic I plugged the exaust port and put 15-20 psi and waited 10 min and it only dropped one psi my dad works for pyro fax energy so I had all the supplies to do this

All right then. :thumbsup:

where could u find one of these

My 06 has a Rad Valve since the VF3 I bought came warped. Also put a flywheel weight as I ride some tight trails along with some mild MX. Found a kid who wanted to trade a P Factory for my stock pipe so got it and a shorty silencer. The thing is unreal nimble in the real tight stuff and so much fun in the jumps and berms it should be illegal.

Craigus