Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Confusion about plating an XR650R in Colorado

Recommended Posts

I wasn't able to find all the info I want from previous threads. I recently moved to Colorado from Illinois and the whole concept of buying a bike without a title was foreign to me. So as being new to an area full of trails, I want to get a lower maintaince dual sport that has serious hp and not much over 300lbs. So I did my research and test drove a few models. I would really like to buy an XR650R and have it plated so I can be legal when switching trails etc. The DMV here (Adams Co) gives me different answers depending on who I talk to. So far, I understand that I need to buy a dirt bike with a "signed under penalty of perjury" and "for off road use only" bill of sale. I would then put on a mirror, horn, brake light. But do they actually have an inspection and check that the tires are dot or would I just fill out a form saying I made it street legal? I have been told both and I have seen dirt bikes with off road tires driving on the roads all the time around here. Also, I have heard that the VIN inspection is just for a title and that is unrelated to plates? A vin inspection has nothing to do with a street legal inspection? I'm unclear of all the steps and in what order to get a plate put on an xr650r. I have also heard that recently it got much harder to get a plate on an XR and it would be best to buy one with a plate and be "grandfathered" into the plated dirtbike, any truth to this? I just don't want to spend all the money for a nice bike without knowing the full story. Thanks for any input.

Edited by Dawnrider

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

First get your M endorsement.  Written than driven. Your bike will be inspected when you do the driven part.

When you buy it make sure you get the title.  Check to make sure the title VIN is same as on the bike.

When registering they will ask how much you paid. Traded tools for the bike so purchase price was 0 = no sales tax.

Now to get it registered.  Proof of insurance, title and M endorsement on license.

Lots of fun.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Unlike other states, they don't title dirt bikes in Colorado, which I dont like. Buying with just that bill of sale is uneasy but I do run the vin check to make sure its not stolen. I already have the m endorsement.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Under Colorado laws, if you want to plate a pre-owned bike, you need to register it within 2 weeks of the purchase.  Ask the seller to sign a bill of sale for later date.

Then, print this form and make sure all of the items in page 2 are met http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251727670547&ssbinary=true 

Then, call on Monday to your state patrol office to schedule vin inspection.  That's why a later date of bill of sale will help you to have time to get them all done without penalty.

Once the bike passed the inspection, you can then take all the docs to DMV office to register the bike and a title will be mailed to you in 2-3 weeks.

If you are buying a used bike from private party, run the VIN first to make sure that it has clean record.  Once you pay someone in cash, you may not find the seller again.

Hope that helps.

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought my bike, I got it from a dealer.  No title, but bill of sale and all associated paperwork that goes along with the dealer. 


You'll need to have the VIN inspected and have State Patrol do the Certificate of Equipment Compliance (DR2686) form if you want a plate. 

Download a copy of that form and go over it, basically you'll need lights/horn/mirror/tires.  If the bike comes with turn signals from the factory, those become required equipment, otherwise they're optional.  Since I bought my bike as a straight-up "dirt bike", turn signals are optional (hand signals adequate).

Inspection takes about half an hour, I didn't even have to unload the bike.  Call the local CSP office and make an appointment - Castle Rock office only does inspections one or two days a week, and only for a few hours.  I think Golden's the same way.  Officer in the shop came out, looked at my bike, checked the VIN against what was on the form, checked off all the boxes on the 2686 and signed it, took my check (~$25, wasn't much) and off I went.


If you need a set of DOT tires for the inspection let me know, i'm in the southwest metro area and have a set in the garage that'll get you through it.


At the DMV (Jefferson County), they got their panties wadded up because the Bill of Sale didn't explicitly say "for offroad use only".

DMV wrote this in, then faxed it to the dealer:



Dealer signed and faxed it back, and the DMV was happy with this.



About $200 and two hours later I left the DMV with plates/tags and a title.

If you *just* want a title, you can do that with only a VIN inspection.  Any sheriffs office can do that. 

For a plate, you'll need the title, signed VIN inspection and 2686, and proof of insurance.


Regarding the license, you can do that whenever.  You don't need an M-endorsed license to plate the bike. 

You should have it if you're riding on the street (admittedly, I rode for about a month without it; after plating my bike but before taking the BRC). 

Took the BRC at a local community college over a weekend, that gets you everything you need to walk into the license office and get the M.  If you're new-ish to street riding, I'd recommend taking the BRC.  Covers a lot of stuff you already know, but there's always something you'll learn.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this