what dual sport/knobby tires do people like for 17" rims?

I've seen a few 17" rim sets with dual sport or knobby tires and I think they look really cool. I'm well aware the 21"/18" combo is far superior for techincal trails, woods, MX and about anything other than pavement and a dirt road, but I'm just curious what 17" tires people have put on their SM rims and liked.

I know there aren't really that many options and I'm aware of the options, mainly just looking for real world feedback from those who have ran this or that tire and what they did or didn't like about them and how they held up.

Thanks

Shinko 244s, easy on the wallet.  I went 3.00 / 4.60, others used 4.60 / 5.10.  Must admit, the 3.00 has a closed tread compared to the larger tires.

I know the shinko 705's not as dirt worthy as the 244's. But are decent and cheap. They will take care of you on gravel and hard packed dirt and perform for commuting and street duty. I keep a set into garage for rainy days when I feel like I need an asventure

Shinko 244's are pretty much the best dual sport true 50/50 tire out there,  not to mention they look BAD ARSE on the SM'S,   if i had a TRUE SM,   that would be me tire of choice,  post up some pics when you get the new shoes on. 

Yep,  priced is GREAT,  im on me 3rd set now 

How miles are you getting out of a set?  It seems like you go close to 50/50 riding.

How miles are you getting out of a set?  It seems like you go close to 50/50 riding.

4-5k from the rear (altho after 4k they start being useless in the dirt) and 6+ k from the fronts. 

4-5k from the rear (altho after 4k they start being useless in the dirt) and 6+ k from the fronts. 

With that mileage it makes the value even better.... :thumbsup:

I've seen a few 17" rim sets with dual sport or knobby tires and I think they look really cool. I'm well aware the 21"/18" combo is far superior for techincal trails, woods, MX and about anything other than pavement and a dirt road, but I'm just curious what 17" tires people have put on their SM rims and liked.

I know there aren't really that many options and I'm aware of the options, mainly just looking for real world feedback from those who have ran this or that tire and what they did or didn't like about them and how they held up.

Thanks

lots of feedback, my local tire thread:

http://bamarides.com/ride/dual-sport/this-is-the-tire-thread-dualsport/

What ever tire you decide on, scuffém in good before any wet road ride.  Mfgrs use a mold release that takes a while to wear off.  Big empty parking lot is my fav for lots of hard over turns and braking area.  You'll also get the feel for how much tire squirm to expect and where they give up.  ATGATT

The shinko 244 tires are all rear tires and if you log lots of street time it makes the bike much harder to turn in and change lean angle.... I hated, absolutely hated, mine on the street.  They did work pretty well off road- in the southwest (including sand/silt).  I now have a distanzia on the front and a shinko 244 4.6 on the rear.  Pretty squirmy rear but way, way better on the street and in tight, twisty mountain roads.  Im still okay in the dirt with this set up, but very high risk for low siding, washing out the front.  

this is an excellent thread, but it has little to do with 17"

that's the problem, there are a ton of good dual sport tires out there for 21/19 or 21/18, but not many for a 3-3.50 x 17" or 5-5.50 x 17"

Pirelli MT60 front is a good tire.  Knobs aren't deep so it works well on the street and traction is good offroad except in extreme conditions.  The rear won't fit in the swingarm.  Don't spend all your money on a nice bike and buy tires that perform, well not so great.

633017801600118668mt60-rfront.jpg

Edited by toadl

Pirelli MT60 front is a good tire.  Knobs aren't deep so it works well on the street and traction is good offroad except in extreme conditions.  The rear won't fit in the swingarm.  Don't spend all your money on a nice bike and buy tires that perform, well not so great.

633017801600118668mt60-rfront.jpg

yeah they're also crazy expensive

I'm purchasing a set of Shinko 244's for my sm in a couple days, I'll post my thoughts after I run a hundred miles or so, really looking forward to getting in the dirt again :D

I also vote for the Pirelli MT60, I don't mind paying extra for something that works well.

I also vote for the Pirelli MT60, I don't mind paying extra for something that works well.

the MT60 looks like it would be fine for a dirt road and that's about it, I don't think I'd venture down too many real trails on it, basically just a street tire with slightly deeper grooves, very slightly

i have about 300 miles on my shinko 705's they are actually pretty decent on the street. I have hit a couple of fire roads, nothing too crazy and they seemed to do well, wasn't afraid of wasing out the front end, maybe thats becuase of the size of the front tire....I was kinda pissed after I read this thread. I went to Chapparel to get the 244's but the dude working there tole me to only expect 2500 miles out the 244 if I did alot of street riding which is why I went with the 705.....it seems he didnt know what he was talking about....

Edited by emperorwurm

the MT60 looks like it would be fine for a dirt road and that's about it, I don't think I'd venture down too many real trails on it, basically just a street tire with slightly deeper grooves, very slightly

I mostly agree.  It's great on the road, but I've taken Conti-attack tires off road so I'm kind of daring.  The MT though is way better off road then the Shinko 705 which is complelety worthless in the mud, and what I mean by mud is dirt that is a little wet.