Sign in to follow this  

my handle bars point slightly to the left when traveling straight. how do I straighten them out?

I have a 92 xr600 I bought to ride while I was rebuilding another bike, I noticed that the bar mount computer seemed a little 'off'. Long story short, the handlebars are pointing slightly left.

What causes this generally and how do I straighten them out?

The forks may be tweaked in the triples, loosen the triples and axle. Re tighten the triples and set the front axle properly.

Are the bars bent ? I once had this problem and my rear wheel was mis aligned... dont know when it happened but

I thought it may have been "off" . I realigned it and all was well. Something to check out. Good luck !

They don't appear to be bent, I will look in the manual on how to reset the front axle. or YouTube. I can seed how to get the triple loose, but not sure yet how they inter relate

It may just be stiction in the forks. Try placing the front wheel up against something solid, like the frame of a garage door or a solid post and then giving a quick and forceful twist in the direction opposite to the twist in the forks/bar.

It may just be stiction in the forks. Try placing the front wheel up against something solid, like the frame of a garage door or a solid post and then giving a quick and forceful twist in the direction opposite to the twist in the forks/bar.

That is the 'ham-fisted' approach, and while it may work if you are in a big hurry out in the field or in a race it is much better to loosen everything up (triple clamps, etc) to get the fork tubes in perfect alignment.

That is the 'ham-fisted' approach, and while it may work if you are in a big hurry out in the field or in a race it is much better to loosen everything up (triple clamps, etc) to get the fork tubes in perfect alignment.

I dunno about ham fisted,,It's the way we've been straightening fork/handlebar alignment problems since about 1970..Find a tree or lamppost,,whack wheel against it using the bars as the whacker,,Retest and rewhack till they are right and ride on into the sunset..No time for stands and spanners out in the fields..

Edited by Horri

I agree with Horri, that's the way I was shown how to do it and it hasn't bee an issue yet. Check the torque on the pinch bolts anyway to make sure they are tight.

No point in stressing the front end to get it in alignment. And stress in the front results in stiction. Not a huge deal but the front will not work as smoothly. Best to loosen the triple tree bolts and axle (not completely loose, just not tight). Put the front wheel between your knees and twist the bars back straight. A little wiggle back and forth will settle everything in. Tighten everything back up and call it a day. I shouldn't have to say it, but obviously this is done with the front end off the ground.

They don't appear to be bent, I will look in the manual on how to reset the front axle. or YouTube. I can seed how to get the triple loose, but not sure yet how they inter relate

I lay a square peice of plate glass flat across the upper fork tubes. It should lay flat and not wobble. If it wobbles then the fork tubes arent aligned. Do what I said in post #2. Take off front wheel, loosen pinch bolts til just before the tubes slide out...then align fork tubes with the a square plate glass. You re-tighten the pinch bolts with a torque wrench to spec, dont just tighten them, it matters. Set the front wheel properly, search youtube and google it all. I cant type too much from a phone. If still doesnt fix it, you may need to re-align the rear wheel to counter the front steering to one side. If that doesnt work then something else may be bent. Good luck man !