Throttle Tube With Bearing in End - Motorcross

hi.

i read that it is good for crisp response on a motorcross bike to use a throttle tube with a bearing in the end.

anyone provide thoughts on this with links on brands and information?

byte

Crisp response is a property of a good carb/engine. Plastic throttle tube is fine, keep the cable lubed and keep the tube/bar/assembly clear of dirt, sand or gunk.

thanks.

what do u use for lube of cable/tube/bar/assembly?

byte

Edited by Byte

Generally nothing. I make sure it's clean. I'm always skeptical of putting any sort of lube in there, as it might hold dirt and turn into sandpaper. If you can find a dry graphite lubricant, that would work the best.

ok thanks

byte

motoRcross?

aluminium throttle tubes with bearings is very nice to have. no more sand in the throttle tube. no more chrushed plastic tubes.

i find it hard to beleive that those saying plastic is fine, have ever tried an alu/bearing type tube. 

I've never needed aluminum tubes. 15 years of riding with plastic and never had an issue. Stop crashing.

I've broken plenty of plastic tubes...crashin is a sign of pushing your limits right? I have a tusk aluminum tube with the "bearing" currently and I love it! But the bearing is nothing more than a teflon bushing...dry graphite works great as lube

I've never needed aluminum tubes. 15 years of riding with plastic and never had an issue. Stop crashing.

if you never crash your not pushing yourself hard enough, and I like them i just got a protaper twister throttle and it's nice and smooth, my only concern is it is very easy to whiskey throttle now lol bought it because my plastic tube was cracked and coming apart

I thought about the aluminum throttle tubes for awhile, then I felt a bike that had one installed. It actually twisted way to smoothly for my taste! Call me weird but I like to have the slightest bit of binding/gritty plastic on metal feeling in the twist throttle. Obviously not to the point where it's gonna stick, but just a fine amount :D

Protaper twister tube is nice. Throttle is smooth without play. If you have twin walls you need to also buy the insert.

Much better then plastic. My buddy went home last Sunday early because of a sandy tube

unless your grip is open at the end  it seems like the cable end is impervious to sand ( at least on my Honda )  how is sand a problem for some ?

or do the bar end mount  guards play into the sand intrusion ??

Edited by Zimman

unless your grip is open at the end it seems like the cable end is impervious to sand ( at least on my Honda ) how is sand a problem for some ?

or do the bar end mount guards play into the sand intrusion ??

When you dump your bike in deep sand, deep enough where the grip is completely buried, sand almost always gets into the tube. Whether you have bark busters or not. Tends to be worse when you do have bark busters since the end is more open and not sealed by the grip. I'm not sure how it would make you have to drop out of a race because of it though? It just gets really gritty feeling until you clean it out.

I guess the  sand i crash in  is to course LOL

it's definitely courser than California beach sand

Yeah maybe! Haha, yeah the sand here in AZ is more of a dusty sand, more fine and it gets everywhere... Through windowsills , door jams and all >_>

oh i haven't crashed in AZ  powder yet  but I know what your talking about  frigging ceiling fans are always dusty

I went with all tile floors  so I wouldn't need to clean the carpet ever again

the dust is so fine I think it even gets inside packaged food LOL

When you dump your bike in deep sand, deep enough where the grip is completely buried, sand almost always gets into the tube. Whether you have bark busters or not. Tends to be worse when you do have bark busters since the end is more open and not sealed by the grip. I'm not sure how it would make you have to drop out of a race because of it though? It just gets really gritty feeling until you clean it out.

just returned from another session at the track and had to finish early due to a GO and digging my throttle bar end into sand.  could not re-start it and throttle not being able to turn freely.

anyway to plug this area to prevent sand ingress in the future?

byte 

Edited by Byte

Hmm, I don't know any way you could really seal it up? If you hit hard enough the end of your grip is gonna rip and sometimes the cap at the end of the tube will even come off... The best thing I would say is get really used to removing the throttle assembly so you can make quick work of cleaning it on when you dump it.

The best I can think of is maybe sticking grip donuts in between the throttle cable assembly and your grip rubber to try and seal that gap a little better so sand can't get it? But this is probably gonna make it feel more binded up and isn't really gonna help you when your bars dig into the ground and crap goes in the end.

Edited by fdme

just returned from another session at the track and had to finish early due to a GO and digging my throttle bar end into sand.  could not re-start it and throttle not being able to turn freely.

anyway to plug this area to prevent sand ingress in the future?

byte 

It sounds like you need a tube that one end is closed. Do they make such a tube??