Throttle Tube With Bearing in End - Motorcross

hi.

i read that it is good for crisp response on a motorcross bike to use a throttle tube with a bearing in the end.

anyone provide thoughts on this with links on brands and information?

byte

I've never needed aluminum tubes. 15 years of riding with plastic and never had an issue. Stop crashing.

if you never crash your not pushing yourself hard enough, and I like them i just got a protaper twister throttle and it's nice and smooth, my only concern is it is very easy to whiskey throttle now lol bought it because my plastic tube was cracked and coming apart

I thought about the aluminum throttle tubes for awhile, then I felt a bike that had one installed. It actually twisted way to smoothly for my taste! Call me weird but I like to have the slightest bit of binding/gritty plastic on metal feeling in the twist throttle. Obviously not to the point where it's gonna stick, but just a fine amount :D

unless your grip is open at the end it seems like the cable end is impervious to sand ( at least on my Honda ) how is sand a problem for some ?

or do the bar end mount guards play into the sand intrusion ??

When you dump your bike in deep sand, deep enough where the grip is completely buried, sand almost always gets into the tube. Whether you have bark busters or not. Tends to be worse when you do have bark busters since the end is more open and not sealed by the grip. I'm not sure how it would make you have to drop out of a race because of it though? It just gets really gritty feeling until you clean it out.

When you dump your bike in deep sand, deep enough where the grip is completely buried, sand almost always gets into the tube. Whether you have bark busters or not. Tends to be worse when you do have bark busters since the end is more open and not sealed by the grip. I'm not sure how it would make you have to drop out of a race because of it though? It just gets really gritty feeling until you clean it out.

just returned from another session at the track and had to finish early due to a GO and digging my throttle bar end into sand.  could not re-start it and throttle not being able to turn freely.

anyway to plug this area to prevent sand ingress in the future?

byte 

Edited by Byte

Hmm, I don't know any way you could really seal it up? If you hit hard enough the end of your grip is gonna rip and sometimes the cap at the end of the tube will even come off... The best thing I would say is get really used to removing the throttle assembly so you can make quick work of cleaning it on when you dump it.

The best I can think of is maybe sticking grip donuts in between the throttle cable assembly and your grip rubber to try and seal that gap a little better so sand can't get it? But this is probably gonna make it feel more binded up and isn't really gonna help you when your bars dig into the ground and crap goes in the end.

Edited by fdme

just returned from another session at the track and had to finish early due to a GO and digging my throttle bar end into sand.  could not re-start it and throttle not being able to turn freely.

anyway to plug this area to prevent sand ingress in the future?

byte 

It sounds like you need a tube that one end is closed. Do they make such a tube??