Which 250.

So, im an avid 2 stroke guy. I own two Yz125's. I recently rode my friends 2010 Crf250r and i really loved it. Don't get me wrong, i love 2 strokes and the low maintenance but i want to try out a 4 stroke next season. Winter is coming quick and its already too cold to ride, at least for my friends and I. I was thinking about selling both my 125's which are in MINT condition. I'm thinking i could afford somewhere between 2-2500$ for an 07 and up. Im looking for the most reliable of course, I've heard the yz250f is the bike for that. I really like the other brands also, the Honda's are nice and slim, but i really like the kx250f's even though I've never ridden one. Same with the Rmz's. What im basically asking is what is the right 250 for me? I know really only I can answer that but im just looking for some facts about each bike. Im 5'8 and 160lbs geared up id say. Im looking forward to start racing as well. What have been your guys' experiences?

OK. I was in the same boat as you.

I also own a yz125. 2006.  

I also wanted to buy a 250f. Didn't know which one to buy.

Narrowed it down to the Honda and Kawi just basically from what I heard.

Decided to buy BOTH the Honda AND the Kawi. Both 2013.

I spent all summer going back and forth between the two.

This is what I can tell you. It is pretty simple.

The Honda turns better and the suspension is a little plusher.

The Kawi motor is better and is more stable/tracks straighter in the whoops etc. and at speed.  

With that said...I still go back and forth to which is my favorite.

If I was to buy one it would depend on which type of tracks or terrain I was planning on riding.

A lot of hard pack. Honda

Tighter tracks.  Honda.

Looser soils - Kawi.

Fast wide open tracks- Kawi

But I have to say.

The yz125 is still my favorite bike and it feels like home when you get back on it.  Nothing more fun.

go kawasaki! also if you want more power get a 450! i am only 14 and 5'8 and 145 with gear and i have no problem handling my new 2013 kx 450f. i love the bike. worth every bit of the money!

When I was your age I was on a 1986 CR500 (Still am)  ?  ?

I, personally am a die-hard Honda guy. Just can't go wrong with those bikes. Second choice would be a Team Green bike.

You'd be surprised what summer jobs can accomplish.

Thank yolu very much! not all kids parents can afford to buy them there bikes! i have cut laws and done whatever other yard work and bs for people for the last 4 summers! i am ver thankful for my parents support, but i paid for every cent of that bike!

Thank yolu very much! not all kids parents can afford to buy them there bikes! i have cut laws and done whatever other yard work and bs for people for the last 4 summers! i am ver thankful for my parents support, but i paid for every cent of that bike!

As you know, im on a '13 yz250f. I really love it. For your price range, you would be best off finding the bike in the best condition and one thats been taken care of rather than worrying so much about brand. Maintnance is KEY on a 4t. Just stay away from the older kawis and rmz's. under 05 for kawi and 06 for rmz.

Welcome to a thing called life.

I wasnt complaining. im just kinda tired of people assuming that all kids are just handed everything. most are, but then there are those thaat must work to get what they want. you are right, its called life! i wouldnt want to be handed everything. you have a better appreciation for what YOU have to work for.