Sign in to follow this  

3 Layer gasket on E - Any good reason to do it?

Hey guys, I'm busy with a top end inspection and as such, I'm replacing gaskets.

This is on my E which I'm adventure prepping, so reliability comes before performance for me on this one, I have my SM which I do power mods on.

I have the 3 layer base gasket here which I know lowers the compression to the S and SM's 11.3:1 and I know I can split them to have my original 12.1:1 but I'm wondering if I should just use the lower compression 3 layers as this is a reliability/adventure build which means I could at some point be forced to use low octane or just plain sh*t fuel. Also the lower compression should be easier on the motor as a whole.

What are the member's opinions on this, is it worth the little bit of performance loss or should I just split the gaskets and keep the high compression?

Thanks in advance for replies, I'll be putting her back together in the morning.

If you think you going to be forced to run crap fuel.. yes, use the 3 layer base gasket.. 

If your talking one tank every 30 to get you to the next filling station, then don't sweat it.  Easy on the throttle and you can avoid detonation 

• Like 1

If you think you going to be forced to run crap fuel.. yes, use the 3 layer base gasket.. 

If your talking one tank every 30 to get you to the next filling station, then don't sweat it.  Easy on the throttle and you can avoid detonation 

Perfect answer, thanks Eric. I'll split them, that way I have a spare.

That's on my list, it'll be none other than your country's best export... a Safari  :rolleyes:

Sure they are a well made item, but they charge like wounded bulls for them.....

are you getting the 17 L or 28 L..??

JustGasTanks is probably the cheapest place to purchase, the 28 is around $100 cheaper than buying from the manufacturer....

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

I used the gasket as 3 layers and never worry about what fuel I put in the tank.  I do not think it affects performance very much.  It's not like 11.3 - 1 is low compression.  Depending on where you intend to use the motorcycle, you might be running tank after tank of low octane gas.  I once had a XR200 in Baja (yes a long tome ago) and it would cruse but ping like a mother with the slightest load on the motor.  So I would rater lower the compression a bit to avoid that.

• Like 1

Aah shiii...

It's already all back together, with the single layer gasket (she's purring like a cougar)

I'm not really expecting to run bad fuel, but it's not impossible that I would. What's done is done, if (read when) I install the CW BBK, I'll go with the 3 layer, that will probably happen before my next big trip into nowhere.

Thanks for the reply though.