Opening a store

What's up guys so my buddy owns a RC hobby shop here in town. He has some extra space that he's willing to let me use. I have a side business working on ATVs and Dirt bikes. So with me being able to be there I am able to set up with the dealers. I can't afford to setup with anyone like parts unlimited or western Powersports at the moment. So I am going to list who I am trying to setup with and would like to hear what y'all think. If I don't list someone that y'all think I should set up with tell me.

Currently setup with

J strong industries

Rath racing

All balls racing

Looking to setup with the following

Two brothers racing

ASV

Pro armor

Hinson

Pro circuit

Rekluse

DASA

pivot works

Twin air

Yoshimura

Renthal

Tag

I know there's plenty more lol

I hope it works out for ya :thumbsup:

It should but that's why I am not going in head first with a 50k credit card. I want to be smart and that's why it's on the side. Still have my 9-5 everyday

If you could get cheap shipping to Canada, that would be good :thumbsup:

To many conflicting business..... All Balls/Pivot Works? Renthal/Tag?

You are a small shop and no buying power. Bring in a select amount of products that are more generic such as tires, tubes, airfilters, one brand of a few bars, spark plugs etc etc.

Overhead can kill you. Especially if you bring in products that you like, you have to think much larger on a customer scale. Combine that with paying your friend for the space. Things can go bad when there is no strict contract between you two....

I've never seen a small motorcycle shop make any money. Keep it on the side for cash.

Why not sign an agreement with a larger dealership for a deal on parts? Say, they keep 10-15% over cost and sell you the parts for that price? By selling you parts they're guaranteed an important sales volume and you get to order parts from any of the big distributors without opening an account with them.

look into automatic distributors    they are a smaller version of PU and TR    we deal with them at my shop   very good to deal with  and I would imagine they dont have the requirements that the big boys do

You are not going to get that much of a price break (discount) on parts from Hinson, Rekluse, or Yoshimura as a small business start-up. I currently own and operate a small business S-Corp business, and I've already been down that road. Not as easy as you may think.

With respect to your "buddy" having some space that you can use, that will surely turn sideways once you actually start generating revenue out of his shop. By the time you calculate your time, cost for parts, overhead, and taxes.. there will be very little (if anything) left for profit. I respectfully suggest you try to do this on your on, out of your garage or shop if at all possible. Mixing business and money with "buddies" seldom ends well. Best to keep those two things separated.  

Just my two cents as I've already been down the same road you are considering.

Good luck.

To many conflicting business..... All Balls/Pivot Works? Renthal/Tag?

You are a small shop and no buying power. Bring in a select amount of products that are more generic such as tires, tubes, airfilters, one brand of a few bars, spark plugs etc etc.

Overhead can kill you. Especially if you bring in products that you like, you have to think much larger on a customer scale. Combine that with paying your friend for the space. Things can go bad when there is no strict contract between you two....

I would just "like" Monk's advice and Falcon's above, but written contract is absolutely necessary.  Hash it out now, agree in writing, and avoid problems down the line.  Not discouraging you, just be smart and not ever emotional.